Ending Up With A Guitar You'd Never Thought You'd Own?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
After years of playing either a Gibson or an Ibanez, I've now ended up playing a guitar I honestly never thought I'd own, a Fender Strat. My only real regret now is never having gotten one sooner, as I can't stop playing the thing now that I threw on a set of .058s - .014s.

So anyone else have a similar experience of converting over to a brand or style of guitar you honestly never thought you'd own?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
I always disliked Ibanez guitars for no apparent reason even though i never touched one.I just...everytime i looked at them i was meehhhh.Most of the stores here always had all those cheap models and i just found their appearance boring and outdated.

That untill i actually played one.It was a Premium RG721 with rosewood top and i couldnt believe how well it played and felt.I bought the guitar immediatelly and later on i got a mint Prestige RG3120.The 3120 is easily the best guitar i ever played and the 721 simply amazing for what it costs.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Happened to me with a Strat too. Now I can't get enough of single coils, be it Strats or Teles.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
My Ibanez SZ520s - I didn't even know they existed until I found the first one. $200, just sitting on the used rack at Guitar Center - I had to have it.

Naturally, a year or so later when another one in green with different inlays and a set of DiMarzios in it showed up at the same guitar center, I had to have it. The workers there were practically taking bets on when I'd notice it and buy it.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I used to hate the way Iceman guitars looked, but when the local guitar shop was going out of business they had one for only $100 with X2N pickups. I knew I would never come across that deal ever again so I snagged it, but now it's become one of my favorite body styles

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
It took me 12 years to find out that Schecter made a7 string Avenger. Extremely rare in Europe but not in the USA so I grabbed three of them from Ebay. They're all awesome!

SevenSkull

Reaction score
My Ibanez SZ520s - I didn't even know they existed until I found the first one. $200, just sitting on the used rack at Guitar Center - I had to have it.

I had the same experience with a Ibanez SZ320. I was stopping by at a small local guitar shop to check out some amps they had in stock and grabbed the used SZ320 for amp testing and left the shop with that guitar. I was never after a LP-style guitar, usually I prefer superstrats with Floyd Rose tremolos.
I had a lot of fun with the SZ in the last years and recently I swapped the stock bridge PU for a Duncan JB which made it even better.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Latest purchase was the Ibanez Mike Mushok, it was always one of those maybe one day guitars, bought one from interstate without having laid hands on one, best purchase I ever made. Now I regret passing up the opportunity to own more of them and the hunt for more is on!

Fraz666

Reaction score
Happened to me with a Strat too. Now I can't get enough of single coils, be it Strats or Teles.
The same for me, I always liked Strato but I never tought to like so much single coils

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought I'd grow out of superstrats. Well here I am :lol:

I used to hate PRS (as a teenager) because all my least favorite bands played them AND they were expensive which made those bands even more annoying to me. However, I ended up trying a Custom 22 in a shop at some point, went home and sold everything I owned and bought one pretty much as quickly as I possibly could.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
When I was 17, I thought I wouldn't want Strats because of the ubiquity of the instrument: everyone I knew and their dog owned one. And I thought I wouldn't be seen dead with a 335 or similar style hollowbody.

Now I own 2 Strats (and want more) as well as an Ibanez 339 variant.

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
Caparison TnT.

Considered myself a Gibson player for a long time and then migrated to PRS (single cut) in about 04...

Got the Caparison in a trade (for a PRS CU22) and have been stunned at how good it is.

Ultimate superstrat!

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Hasn't happened yet but I want one of these:

$_57.JPG

Ever since Ibanez started making Prestige versions :bowdown:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I was never much of an Ibanez fan either until I picked up my first SZ2020. That did it for me, I love the thick mahagony body and maple top combo on them. The neck is also very comfortable and not as thin as the typical Ibanez and the 25.1" scale is awesome. Now I have 6 of the SZ Prestige models! The SZ1220 still eludes me though.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Kind of the other way for me.

I was a teenager back in the early 90's, drooling over Parkers in guitar magazines. I had no money (spent a whole summer mowing lawns to save up enough for a cheap, used epiphone and a practice amp) and lived in the backwoods of Maine though, so I always figured I'd probably never even see one in person let alone own one.

Now I have eight.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I was never much of an Ibanez fan either until I picked up my first SZ2020. That did it for me, I love the thick mahagony body and maple top combo on them. The neck is also very comfortable and not as thin as the typical Ibanez and the 25.1" scale is awesome. Now I have 6 of the SZ Prestige models! The SZ1220 still eludes me though.

Time to start sharing those prestige SZ' around, or sell me your MMM1 ;)

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Time to start sharing those prestige SZ' around, or sell me your MMM1 ;)

The MMM1 is awesome! I got it in near mint condition last year, it must have sat around unused for about 10 years. Sadly, I like it much more than the SG Baritone that was twice as much.

Shask

Reaction score
I have kind of went around in a circle. I used to like Superstrats with Floyds, but over the last 10 years have switched to LPs, PRS-style, Strats with hardtails, etc.... over the last year, I have been going back to where it started.... Superstrats with Floyds. Feel like I am back home, and dont plan to leave again!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've always said that telecasters were the ugliest guitars I can think of, and I still think of them that way to a point, but the Mesa youtube channel has some demos of clean channels with a tele that have convinced me that I might want to own one despite not liking the looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6fq_fs2Ug

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
About ten years ago when I was 17 I would not under any circumstances play a non sharp V shaped guitar (King V, Rhoads etc.).

Now in 2015...

4 x Teles from different brands
1 x PRS SE
1 x Ibanez RG shape

Still got a V but it lies in a state of perpetual disrepair...

:rofl: