Ending Up With A Guitar You'd Never Thought You'd Own?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Never thought I'd own an acoustic but then I saw this and had to have it...

11264847_847939498576357_6258655175722730872_n.jpg

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Agreed, never owned one but I've played one a lot for years. Wouldn't compare it to a PRS though as they're too different in my book, but it definitely nails the LP vibe.

The one I owned had a neck that was an awful lot like a Wide-Thin, and was tonally quite similar to a PRS as far as lead stuff goes. I'd say it generally "felt" more like an LP though (maybe in part because it could easily double as a boat anchor :lol:).

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
My Custom Shop Jackson Kelly. I never thought I'd own a USA Jackson, let alone a Custom Shop. It's a great feeling but, I still want a guitar built to my own specs (Carvin).

Edika

Reaction score
Ibanez for me too. I always found their colors kind of tacky and especially for the Prestige models I was really surprised they were asking that much cash for a bolt on, Basswood body, crappy pickup, licensed Floyd guitar. The one I bought I was seeing it on the window of a store for 5 years and, while is quite unique and not solid color, I still thought it was overpriced. Until I decided to try it out just out of curiosity. After a short while it was mine!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Enter the RGIB6....neck like a Les Paul and an ESP had a baby. Badass, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Can you go into more detail with this? I looked at the RGI6B for a bit, but the thing that scared me off were the horror stories about quality and my hatred of Ibanez necks. You make it sound like it's not as flat or thin as most RGs, which makes me interested.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I've always wanted a baritone jazzmaster, but could just never see myself getting around to getting one. I liked the shape, but had always wanted one with single coil pickups like a strat.

Well I went to warmoth and pulled the trigger, jazzmaster body, strat neck pocket, strat pickups and controls, and I found a sweet ziricote fingerboard to go with it. I've only just started the process this week, so no real pictures of the end product, but I do have the conceptual picture of the body from warmoth, and the picture of the ziricote.

Ziricote
179645b1477938262b9bf5ce3aefbfba.png

Body
1669cb726c43a9a35cfd3d9307f47a47.png

p4vl

Reaction score
Ibanez but out of necessity. I had a seizure in my sleep, rolled out of bed and broke my right shoulder in 3 places. I used to laugh at people that played Ibanez guitars, as I wasn't a fan of super strats that sounded so 'light' (and I still hate tremolos).

As I was laying in the bed at Johns Hopkins after surgery, I thought I'd either have to get a lightweight, comfortable guitar or take up a new hobby (like Russian Roulette).

I got a 2004 Prestige RG2550 in Vibrant Blue (I didn't want a black guitar, nor a guitar with sharkfin inlays) for $450 w/case. I've seen the same guitar going for $700 currently.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I've been a Parker man since before I even played one. I immediately fell in love with the aesthetic, and even as uninformed as I was way back then, I recognized what a marvel of engineering they were. I finally got my own about ten years ago, and it immediately became my favorite guitar; there was even a brief period where my Steinberger became my main guitar while my Fly was apart for modifications, but the first time I played the Fly again after reassembling it, I knew that I could never love another guitar like I love that. When it was finally time for me to get a proper 7-string, Parker was still saying that they'd never make 7s, so the next best thing on the market, for my purposes, was a Music Man JPXI. Then, as soon as Parker announced new 7-string models, I knew the JP wouldn't do. Nothing against Music Man guitars; they're made well, play very comfortably, etc. They're just...you know...not Parkers. I put in an order for a custom 7, and the entire process took about a year and a half, between an unnecessarily long time communicating back and forth with USMC about specs and pricing. It's a fantastic guitar, and the best 7-string I've yet played.

Then two things happened: first, my experience dealing with Parker left a bitter taste in my mouth, and made me somewhat reluctant to order from them again; the second is that Music Man released the Majesty. I loved the looks, the specs, everything about it. I finally got to play one when my store got one in a couple months back. And when I say "got to play it", I mean that I probably put 20 hours on it in the first two weeks we had it. It's the most excited I've been about a guitar since my first Parker, and I'm currently saving up to buy matching 6 and 7-strings to go with my matching Parkers. Now, I'm not turning my back on Parker entirely, and I may buy more of their guitars in the future. But now there is room in my heart for guitars other than Parkers.

Shask

Reaction score
Ibanez but out of necessity. I had a seizure in my sleep, rolled out of bed and broke my right shoulder in 3 places. I used to laugh at people that played Ibanez guitars, as I wasn't a fan of super strats that sounded so 'light' (and I still hate tremolos).

As I was laying in the bed at Johns Hopkins after surgery, I thought I'd either have to get a lightweight, comfortable guitar or take up a new hobby (like Russian Roulette).

I got a 2004 Prestige RG2550 in Vibrant Blue (I didn't want a black guitar, nor a guitar with sharkfin inlays) for $450 w/case. I've seen the same guitar going for $700 currently.
Awesome you found something that worked!

For health and general aging, I always picture myself with a Parker when I get too old to hold up normal guitars!

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Strandberg 7 and my Fender Japan Telecaster.

I always thought Fender Japan makes guitars aimed for newbies but now that I own one, its one of the best playing and sounding guitars I have.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Can you go into more detail with this? I looked at the RGI6B for a bit, but the thing that scared me off were the horror stories about quality and my hatred of Ibanez necks. You make it sound like it's not as flat or thin as most RGs, which makes me interested.

Sent you a detailed PM mang...any other questions hit me.

geekusa

Reaction score
Ibanez. Never liked em, even though I wanted to. Would buy one or two a year and sell em immediately because the necks are too thin for me.

Enter the RGIB6....neck like a Les Paul and an ESP had a baby. Badass, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I like that neck description. I haven't tried an Iron Label, but they look killer for the price. I want to like Ibanez because they make some amazing looking guitars with killer features for the price, but I just don't get along with the Wizard necks. I just can't do the flat back/shoulders. Perhaps if I had proper technique I could heh..

PBGas

Reaction score
I picked up an Alex Lifeson Axcess. Not a huge Rush fan but they have been part of my musical background growing up. It is such a beautiful sounding and playing guitar.

I Shot JR

Reaction score
A seven string, specifically an Ibanez seven string. I remember one time commenting on a youtube video "oh an Ibanez seven string, how original" because idk, Limp Bizkit or something.

Now I'm playing my RG7421 at least 75% of the time.

And I also like a couple Limp Bizkit songs now too. My 13 year old self would kill me.

Laimon

Reaction score
Music Man JPwhatever.
I never cared for the looks, nor I like Petrucci sounds in last decade or so, so it never crossed my mind.
Then beginning of this year I was thinking about a custom 6 string, and noticed that the JP6 BFR had very close specs...well, long story short, I kind of changed my mind about JPs :D

Bearitone

Reaction score
I never thought I'd own a Schecter. I used to associate Schecter with "plastic" and "cheap", but now my favorite guitar is my KM7 with Warpigs.

Shask

Reaction score
I never thought I'd own a Schecter. I used to associate Schecter with "plastic" and "cheap", but now my favorite guitar is my KM7 with Warpigs.

Schecter has really improved the last few years. My favortite guitar right now is a Banshee. It is more Ibanez/Jackson/ESP than the guitars those companies currently make right now. LOVE that guitar.

Lain

Reaction score
Got a Jackson Dinky Pro. Never liked the look of the Jackson headstocks (still don't really) but wanted a 24 fret guitar and it had a great price considering it's got a Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pickups.
I used to be Fender and Ibanez only but I love that guitar, now. Easily my favourite neck.
Got rid of everything Ibanez now. Really eyeing a Mayones, though.
It's just that i can't find a store where i can try them out. :)

Latest posts