ENGL E670 Special Edition

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
NO LONGER NEEDS REPAIR!!!

Modifications (if any): 1k screen grid resistors to handle EL34's more safely.

Accessories (hardshell case etc):nope

Location (City,State or City,Country): Warrensburg, MO, USA

Contact Info (No Phone #s): bodenhamerelec@gmail.com

References (eBay or other forum userid): sic-mind on ebay. LordOVchaoS on a lot of forums.

Price (include currency and if firm/obo): $2400 shipped in the continental united states.

Pictures: can be seen on ebay: Engl E670 Special Edition SE - eBay (item 270493050214 end time Dec-04-09 11:19:32 PST)

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
6L6 or EL34?

6L6 but they are the SAME EXACT amp. No difference except for the LED color and the type of tubes they ship with. Both amps can take both types of tubes and it's very easy to swap them and bias them. Right now it has KT77's in it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
You just described exactly why your amp is having issues.

Straight from ENGL:

"The circuitry is optimized for 6L6GC tubes, meaning that some parameters respond somewhat differently when the amp is equipped with EL34s. For example, the EL34 boosts output power by about 15%. This subjects the amp's components, including tubes, to greater wear and tear. More power spells higher volume, which culminates in more aggressive power amp saturation. Though this may sound tempting, I advise against driving the amp with EL34s over longer periods. Note also that when the amp is equipped with EL 34 tubes, is in Lo Power mode, and is running at extremely high volumes, the electronic Power TubeMonitoring System may shut the power tubes down."

So if your amp is the 6L6 version (Red LED's), and you put EL34 tubes in and crank the volume...you're gonna fry it. It happens pretty often. There are 3 resistors that need to be changed in order successfully compensate for the added power that comes from EL34s. Flipping that switch and biasing the amp isn't going to be enough. One of the techs at ENGL told me that.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
12572d1256753170-engl-e670-special-edition-needs-repair-engl-se.jpg

I don't know German, but "Bias tube type select" seems pretty clear to me. Taken straight from the Engl SE manual, from Engl's webpage.

Attachments

• Engl SE.JPG
    Engl SE.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 601

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yeah. The quote I put up is also straight from the manual. It says the EL34s will wear the amp components out faster. Email them about it. The two versions are not EXACTLY the same. If you swap the tubes out and play at low volumes....you probably won't have any issues.

There are 3 resistors that need to be changed in order successfully compensate for the added power that comes from EL34s

I apologize. I was wrong. It's 4 resistors...not 3.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. The quote I put up is also straight from the manual. It says the EL34s will wear the amp components out faster. Email them about it. The two versions are not EXACTLY the same. If you swap the tubes out and play at low volumes....you probably won't have any issues.

It says that in the EL34 Manual too :D They have the same schematic, there is NO difference.

I HIGHLY doubt Engl would put out an amp and give it a switch to go between two types of tubes if they didn't think it was safe for the amp. There would be a lot of warranty work for them to do if this were the case. I HAVE emailed them about it when I was trying to decide which E670 I wanted.

I apologize. I was wrong. It's 4 resistors...not 3.

You are speaking of screen grid resistors. 6L6 amps usually take 470 ohm and EL34 amps take 1k ohm. They're like fuses that blow when a tube fails so as not to destroy any other components in the amp. There is only one schematic for an Engl E670 and it has the 470 ohm resistors. THAT'S why they put that disclaimer about 6L6 vs. EL34 in BOTH manuals. The only danger in using lower resistors is an EL34 can potentially take out a screen grid resistor even if the tube doesn't fail.

Here is a link to a page with a schematic for an owners manual and schematic for the SE EL34 model. The schematic has 6L6 tubes on it and the owners manual has the same disclaimer you read in the 6L6 manual. On the second page of the schematic R161, R162, R163, and R164 are the screen grid resistors... 470 ohm which is the standard for 6L6 amps.

http://www.houseofenglamps.com/products.asp?sku=E670_EL34

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt Engl would put out an amp and give it a switch to go between two types of tubes if they didn't think it was safe for the amp.

This. Why would you put a switch on an amp if you had to mod it anyways?

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This amp is fully repaired and on ebay! I will end the auction early and ship free for a forumite. While I was in there I changed the screen grid resistors to 1k to make a bit more safe to use with EL34's.