Entering the World of Amp Sims....

• Thread starter NCASO96
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just picked up a Universal Audio Volt 1 USB interface and a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speaker system to get started.

I know I have a lot of options, both free and paid…

As player who plays mostly hard rock/metal 80-90s, looking to record some demos at home, with a drum track, bass… I have a YJM strat, so I am interested in getting a good modified marshall sim to work with…

I have a copy of Reaper installed on my PC, but I’d be open to something “better”
user-friendly if there is one in existence?

As always, I appreciate your advice.

Best,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The thread with the free ones, here.

Shask

Reaction score
I am not really into amp sims, but NAM is a cool one I was playing with recently. It is the new thing that uses AI machine learning to make profiles of amps.

Valdra

Reaction score
I would just continue using Reaper for your DAW. Only move on if you find another DAW suits your workflow more down the road.

"Mercuriall.com" has a bunch of good free plugins I often use over my paid ones. It came to mind when you said you wanted the "modified marshall" thing because they have an amp called "JCM800 HOT", which is a JCM800 with some more gain. I like that plugin a lot. Also the "Harlequin" they have might get you there. I like to boost these amps with the "Tomato" tube preamp they have on the site if I'm going tight, if I want something more full and round I'll use the 808 or the gridslammers.

I do not recommend their free cabinet plugins though, not really a fan of those. I would get an IR loader elsewhere and some good IRs.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I use Tonex with Cubase, both pay softwares, but you can use ToneX with Reaper as it supports VST plugins.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't spend a dime on ampsims. Free stuff sounds just as good and plugins have terrible resale value. There's always a "next best thing" every month.

Well I only paid $99 for ToneX Max when they were running a sale months ago and think it's totally worth it. I've now got my favorite tone ever. Sure there are good free plugins like NAM, though it's supposedly a lot more confusing to navigate their capture process and also doesn't look as pretty, but for $99 I got one hell of a plugin. And I also got Helix Native for $99 when I got my HX Effects so that too was a steal. Both of those together can cover the amp tone and full effects for $200 if gotten while on those rare price drop sales.

Necky379

Reaction score
I’m really enjoying STL AmpHub. It is subscription based but it’s cheap and there are new models/features/updates every month. I use it with Reaper. The sounds and options are excellent.

Reaction score
Don't pay a penny for an amp sim. In the recording section of the forum there's a thread with literally thousands of free IRs, amp sims, and boost pedals. If you can't get a good tone with all that then the gear ain't the problem.

Start there to figure out what you like/dislike and to understand how to set it all up and work with it..THEN move on to the $$$ stuff when you've got a little more knowledge

If you really want to buy something instead because you like spending money, I'd recommend something like Helix Native as it's a fully self contained unit with everything you need for both guitar and bass, they have regular updates, and it's one of the best in the industry. Before buying, I'd strongly recommend the free thread though.

Btw high gain/hot-rodded Marshall tones are my jam. I'm able to get it easily both with the stuff in the free thread and with the Helix

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I only paid $99 for ToneX Max when they were running a sale months ago and think it's totally worth it. I've now got my favorite tone ever. Sure there are good free plugins like NAM, though it's supposedly a lot more confusing to navigate their capture process and also doesn't look as pretty, but for $99 I got one hell of a plugin. And I also got Helix Native for $99 when I got my HX Effects so that too was a steal. Both of those together can cover the amp tone and full effects for $200 if gotten while on those rare price drop sales.
Well, Tonex are not ampsims, but captures. Tonex is essentially a "tech" you can use that gets to another rabbit hole which are paid captures. Also in order to get Helix Native at $99 you need to own a hardware unit first, so I don't think it's a good example.

But yes, Helix Native is the only ampsim I'd ever recommend purchasing it since it's constantly updated for free. Tonex interface and UI in general is terrible, but it sounds really good indeed.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, Tonex are not ampsims, but captures. Tonex is essentially a "tech" you can use that gets to another rabbit hole which are paid captures. Also in order to get Helix Native at $99 you need to own a hardware unit first, so I don't think it's a good example.

Not to split hairs here, but while ToneX is not an amp *modeler* is it indeed an amp sim as it's a software (or hardware unit) that emulates a real physical amp. So technically it still is an amp sim, just with a different methodology and technology than a modeler. The grail tone sound I came up with was with a free capture download. There are so many free captures there's truly no need to pay for any capture collections.

And you're right about Native, I think most I've seen it on sale for was 50% off at $199. Still a bargain IMO.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just get NAM. There are thousands of free amp captures available and a lot of them are really good. There are plenty of free delay/reverb/FX VSTs out there as well. Everything you need to get good tones is out there for zero cost. I have a few paid plugins (although admittedly the cheaper ones) and NAM is just is good as any of them. Maybe better, depending on the specific capture.

NCASO96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't pay a penny for an amp sim. In the recording section of the forum there's a thread with literally thousands of free IRs, amp sims, and boost pedals. If you can't get a good tone with all that then the gear ain't the problem.

Start there to figure out what you like/dislike and to understand how to set it all up and work with it..THEN move on to the $$$ stuff when you've got a little more knowledge

If you really want to buy something instead because you like spending money, I'd recommend something like Helix Native as it's a fully self contained unit with everything you need for both guitar and bass, they have regular updates, and it's one of the best in the industry. Before buying, I'd strongly recommend the free thread though.

Btw high gain/hot-rodded Marshall tones are my jam. I'm able to get it easily both with the stuff in the free thread and with the Helix
Thank you brother! i'm real green when it comes to this stuff.. .but i work with computers for a living and can learn...

Any great resources to start with? Do i need to use these amp sims within a DAW?

I was made of some amp sims that are "Stand Alone" like the Bogren stuff?

How about the tons off free software loaded with my UA Volt interface?

Thanks so much!!