ESP 2018 Sneak Previews

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
ESP/LTD/Edwards etc need to start spending those extra few pence/cents/yen to install clip-shut battery boxes for their active pickups on instead of needing to unscrew a cover to change the PP3, IMHO

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
ESP/LTD/Edwards etc need to start spending those extra few pence/cents/yen to install clip-shut battery boxes for their active pickups on instead of needing to unscrew a cover to change the PP3, IMHO
I would agree with you in theory, but in practice I’d love to see less EMG and more passive SD choices. An Eclipse with Alpha/Omega? It’s on my mind...

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
I would agree with you in theory, but in practice I’d love to see less EMG and more passive SD choices. An Eclipse with Alpha/Omega? It’s on my mind...

:agreed:

Alpha/Omega - The Bringer of Balance

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
I agree with the last couple of posters.

I remember when I was growing up, only the high tier ESP's had active EMGs. Nowadays they are so grossly overused in mass production guitars they seem to be the new Duncan designs of the guitar market.

More interesting pickup offerings would definitely be refreshing.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I actually like that ESPs come with EMGs most of the time. The 90es are over, EMG now has a pretty complete lineup and the quick connect allows for easy pickup swapping. It's not like it's 81 or bust any longer.
Back in my days, EMGs had to be wired like anything else, they're probably cheaper to install today as it's prepackaged and no soldering is required, hence lots of LTDs/IL ibbies/WMI guitars having them.

feraledge

Reaction score
I’m normally fine about swapping pickups and electronics, but these days, you can almost get more pulling a JB than a whole EMG set when reselling them.

Johny2wong

Reaction score
Is the older Alex Scolnick signature still in the market? That pretty much checks all the boxes in your wish list.

I prefer standard guitar model. Not a signature. What I want actually is an e-ii eclipse. If it has esp logo, the price will be quite expensive. If the guitar is expensive, it should have figured maple or any figured top wood.

One more idea. Esp should make horizon I with reverse headstock. Like the one in esp sonic model. I think reverse teardrop headstock is cute. I know cute usually isn't used for describing a guitar. But, horizon I is always look cute and cool to me.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I would dig an explorer shape with cock stock... I know the traditional explorer head stock helps create a sense of momentum with the rest of the instrument... but I dunno I feel bold lol.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
I actually like that ESPs come with EMGs most of the time. The 90es are over, EMG now has a pretty complete lineup and the quick connect allows for easy pickup swapping. It's not like it's 81 or bust any longer.
Back in my days, EMGs had to be wired like anything else, they're probably cheaper to install today as it's prepackaged and no soldering is required, hence lots of LTDs/IL ibbies/WMI guitars having them.

I can't speak for 2017, but my 2015 had them soldered. The only quick connect was on the pickups themselves, so you could swap them solderlessly. It looks like EMG sells the 81/85 cheap, hoping to get a foot in the door for some extra sales on the newer models.

feraledge

Reaction score
I can't speak for 2017, but my 2015 had them soldered. The only quick connect was on the pickups themselves, so you could swap them solderlessly. It looks like EMG sells the 81/85 cheap, hoping to get a foot in the door for some extra sales on the newer models.
I don't think there's any conspiracy. I think ESP pays probably the same low price for EMGs and SDs or whatever else. It just turns out that with so many newer options on the market from both companies over the past few years that the resale value of the "standards" (81/85/60 or JB/59) have dropped. Active EMGs seemingly more than the passive SDs.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I don't think there's any conspiracy. I think ESP pays probably the same low price for EMGs and SDs or whatever else. It just turns out that with so many newer options on the market from both companies over the past few years that the resale value of the "standards" (81/85/60 or JB/59) have dropped. Active EMGs seemingly more than the passive SDs.

Also there has been a pretty harsh pushback against actives compared to like 2005ish when they were all the rage. Everyone wants passives these days, or Fishmans

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Well from what I've seen, the E-II SVs have been discontinued in the US, as they are no longer on the website. Still on the Japanese site though.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score

That's why I don't mind the usual 81/60 stock set as much as the usual JB/59 affair from Duncan.

Both sets are decent, but... neither is quite what I'm after, so I'm gonna wind up changing them. Aaaaaand I'm probably gonna pick the one that will take less work on my part.