ESP 2024

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@MaxOfMetal A few months ago I did a decent search for anything other than black and black-purple/red/blue/white and didn't find any other colors that were actually being sold. I haven't seen many cosmetic analogs to anything other than ebony, either. Would be cool to know.

Here's the pre-made boards: https://www.richlite.com/fretboards

If you're interested in cutting down a partial sheet there are more plain options.

You can order direct, or they'll give you a list of vendors that have the particular product you want in stock.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the 2024 lineup, and the 87 keeps growing on me.

View attachment 141091
However, I’m a bit confused by the HS config. What is the advantage of a mini humbucker in the neck vs an actual humbucker? Is there something I’m missing?
In my (fairly limited) experience with mini humbuckers, it samples less of the string so it's not as bassy in the neck position as a full-sized humbucker. This means that the settings you dialed in for your bridge pickup are more likely to be good for the neck pickup too. The same can be said about an actual single coil, but then you have to deal with the neck being half the volume of the bridge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
In my (fairly limited) experience with mini humbuckers, it samples less of the string so it's not as bassy in the neck position as a full-sized humbucker. This means that the settings you dialed in for your bridge pickup are more likely to be good for the neck pickup too. The same can be said about an actual single coil, but then you have to deal with the neck being half the volume of the bridge.
That makes sense, I'd love to try a guitar with this layout at some point as I love neck single coils. My current favorite is HSS, but it could be interesting to have a "middle of the road" tone in the neck.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
So brown, red-brown, blue-brown, brown-slightly darker brown, snakeskin brown, and snakeskin purple-brown. Decisions abround.

Just having a giggle, thanks for the info. Still underwhelmed, but at least I'm a lot more informed.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So brown, red-brown, blue-brown, brown-slightly darker brown, snakeskin brown, and snakeskin purple-brown. Decisions abround.

Just having a giggle, thanks for the info. Still underwhelmed, but at least I'm a lot more informed.

Lol, you've described the colors of most wood fretboards. What color are you looking for? Acid green?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Richlite is just a name brand. If you search for "paper phenolic resin" or similar you'll find tons of the same stuff, paper held together by resin, as Richlite but in just about any color and/or pattern.

Micarta and Bakelite are similar materials that have been used in guitar manufacturing too.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Richlite is just a name brand. If you search for "paper phenolic resin" or similar you'll find tons of the same stuff, paper held together by resin, as Richlite but in just about any color and/or pattern.

Micarta and Bakelite are similar materials that have been used in guitar manufacturing too.
Pretty sure bakelite is not the same thing, and hasn't been used in guitars since like the 50's when it was used for Fender's 1-ply pickguards

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure bakelite is not the same thing, and hasn't been used in guitars since like the 50's when it was used for Fender's 1-ply pickguards

Not same, but it's another resin stabilized product. It's just a bit more hard depending on mix. There have been small builders who have used it for various components, even tops. It was popular for lapsteels for awhile.

I never said they're the same, but if you want something funky it's worth looking at. Same with Micarta, which is a resin and woven material product.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I don’t hate it, reminds me of a teased ESP E-II model from about 7-8 years ago that never made it into production. The color is not great and the ESP Web Store exclusivity is odd.

Flat top Horizon-III

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don’t hate it, reminds me of a teased ESP E-II model from about 7-8 years ago that never made it into production. The color is not great and the ESP Web Store exclusivity is odd.

Awful color for this shape. Sunburst looks awful on a guitar with a bevel like that.
I'm gonna be that guy and say it should have been all black.
Here is the one I was thinking of that showed up in 2018 previews, but never made it to production.

View attachment 141165
Keep the shape of the H3 and the open-pore look but stick with this color and it would have been great.
But yeah I am glad they stuck with the H3 shape instead of this one. The shorter horns look eeeeh.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Awful color for this shape. Sunburst looks awful on a guitar with a bevel like that.
I'm gonna be that guy and say it should have been all black.

Keep the shape of the H3 and the open-pore look but stick with this color and it would have been great.
But yeah I am glad they stuck with the H3 shape instead of this one. The shorter horns look eeeeh.

Pretty much, I think any of the guitars that have pronounced bevels (Aires, Archetype, Majesty) look like shit outside of a solid color. I think that E-II even appeared in those NAMM preview emails as well, but it is more of a regular Horizon take. It does look better with the H-III elongated horns. Cockstocks for the win on H-III’s though.