ESP E-II Thin U vs Ibanez Prestige 7 neck

• Thread starter Dabo Fett
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
Hi all

Thinking about adding something with a fixed bridge to the arsenal, and the ESP E-II's have definitely caught my eye. How do the two neck shapes correlate? I figure the U will make the ESP feel thicker, but how pronounced are the shoulders on the neck compared to the prettt flat and softer shoulders on the Prestige?

Reaction score
Obvious answer: The only real way you're going to know is by playing one yourself.

My take: ESP necks are pretty unique, in a good way. If I were to put some kind of comparison, I'd say they're like the happy-medium between strat necks and wizard necks. So, take that for the grain of salt that it's worth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I've never played an ESP E-II 7-string, only LTD's, and ESP E-II neck-shapes are close, but not exactly the same as LTD's so I can't say for sure; not to mention, ESP necks always seem a little different based on model anyways. For example, my Mystique E-II is very similar but is thinner/smaller than an E-II Horizon, even though they are both 'thin u'.

With that out of the way, ESP E-II necks tend to be more narrow and more round on the back. Ibanez are very wide, and flatter on the back, often with more pronounced 'shoulders'. Both are nice neck shapes, and it really comes down to what you prefer. I know I find the 7-string Prestige necks to be more comfortable than the 6-string prestige necks, but I tend to prefer the ESP and LTD necks on both 6's and 7's.

What models are you looking at? There are a handful of new E-II 7's that are absolutely sick-looking.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ibanez’s are more consistent across the board in that they have huge shoulders (awful to me) and a very flat back.

The ESP thin U as has been stated varies a lot but it’s always a rounder back shape with small shoulders.

Much closer string spacing than Ibanez as well.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
And that's what's interesting, because my prestige doesn't have huge shoulders. I think for the purpose of this guitar( mainly shows) I want something a bit rounder, a bit more something that I can wrap my fist around thumb over the top and bang away. But the closer string spacing makes me nervous because I have what's commonly know as stupid fingers, I need all the room I can get

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
It sounds like you're leaning towards the ESP E-II. Why not order from a large retailer that is good with returns/exchanges. Get the ESP E-II and if you don't gel with it send it back and get an Ibanez Prestige?

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I own 2 Ibanezes (RGD2127 & S6427) and love the necks. The few times I've tried out ESP Thin-U necks, they felt way too thick and round. But that is because I am used to the Ibanezes.

Some people like both. I prefer the thinner neck the Ibanezes have.

gujukal

Reaction score
They are pretty round and thicc (the ones I've tried), similar to older schecters.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
It sounds like you're leaning towards the ESP E-II. Why not order from a large retailer that is good with returns/exchanges. Get the ESP E-II and if you don't gel with it send it back and get an Ibanez Prestige?

Most likely will, already own the prestige. The problem is all the prestige 7s that are around/available right now are mostly trems, which is what I currently have and exactly what I don't need haha

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I find the Thin U and Suhr Modern Elliptical to be fairly similar. Really though Wizard type necks (flat back, large shoulders) are a world apart from those styles - I agree with trying them both first. As I've gotten older I find I can't jive with Ibanez necks as well and tend to prefer more vintage carves.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Most likely will, already own the prestige. The problem is all the prestige 7s that are around/available right now are mostly trems, which is what I currently have and exactly what I don't need haha

True. You could check out the new RGR752 AHBF. I’m sure you could find some of the 752 models from the last few years with fixed bridges. Actually some really cool finish options have been available in the last 3 years or so.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
True. You could check out the new RGR752 AHBF. I’m sure you could find some of the 752 models from the last few years with fixed bridges. Actually some really cool finish options have been available in the last 3 years or so.

FWIW the RGR752 AHBF slays. Very nice guitar. I'm not biased or anything :p

angl2k

Reaction score
Can't comment on the E-II neck but I do own an ESP 7 and have owned an Ibby prestige fixed 7 and the Ibanez neck feels much flatter on the back. The Ibanez neck made my hand cramp on the higher frets but on the ESP neck I don't experience that at all. Might be the shoulders.

I agree on the thin u variances, my eclipse thin u feels a bit rounder than my horizon thin u and my MII neck feels more flat than my horizon neck :)

If you're considering the MII 7 then it might not be as different as the Ibanez necks.

Frey

Reaction score
I've really grown apart from Ibanez necks. The "Extra Thin U" on my LTD SH7 is very nice though.

FenderBluesAAA

Reaction score
Yeah, ESP seems to call everything a thin U. The other day I played two ESP guitars that were thin u. And one was much bulkier than the other. If only they'd write the dimensions of each model.

Last edited:

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Yeah, ESP seems to call everything a thin U. The other day I played two ESP guitars that were thin u. And one was much buljier than the other. If only they'd write the dimensions of each model.

Curious if they are perhaps the same as the Schecter C, Thin C and Ultra Thin C with a different name for "we're NOT RELATED" purposes?
EDIT: I have no knowledge of ESP profiles, just asking.

Last edited:

FenderBluesAAA

Reaction score
Curious if they are perhaps the same as the Schecter C, Thin C and Ultra Thin C with a different name for "we're NOT RELATED" purposes?
EDIT: I have no knowledge of ESP profiles, just asking.

Esp has the same thing: thin U, extra thin U.. but two guitars with a "thin U" neck will have different neck dimensions.