ESP LTD HB300 baritone

• Thread starter Faldoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Faldoe

Reaction score
Anyone own this guitar? How is it? Maple body and neck, rosewood board. Set-neck. SD HB pickups.

I have the change to get one for $300, but I'm not sure if I should wait to find a Schecter Blackjack or another baritone.

I haven't been able to find much info on this guitar. Looks like this:

HB300-TTM_body-front.jpg

HB300-TTM_front.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

indreku

Reaction score
Get it,

this is one of the guitars that is on my "must have" list, friend own it and sold it and I am trying to get that one back.

I own same series viper baritone and this is a ....ing work horse - you can consider the quality to the bar of current 400 or even 1000 series.
Pickups need change(if they are factory installed), but otherwise a really good investment, I envy you and + the price is sweet

Faldoe

Reaction score
Sweet, got it for $220 plus two pedals I built in trade for the guitar.

The pickups may not be stock. From what I could tell from online pictures, the pickups had SDuncan script on them. These are blank, no name. The owner got it from someone else and it sounds like maybe the pickups were swapped.

What would be a good set? Looking for passive p'ups. I play clean to high gain. Want something tight in the bridge for the :shred:

Everything seems good on the guitar, frets are in good shape. Missing control cavity cover, I'll have to make one. Two nicks in the neck, not big, but I put some clean nail polish on them and I'll smooth them out.

The strings on it now are regular gauge, the guy didn't play it down tuned so I need to get a bari set for it.

indreku

Reaction score
bareknuckles are a good to go(aftermath, blackhawk or juggernauts), or if you don't want to spend too much money, then SD black winter or maybe fastback beardcombers

Zhysick

Reaction score
Ops... didn't read you bought it yet.

Well done. Is an amazing guitar. The guitars LTD made those years are amazing...

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
I have one of these, along with a Viper baritone.

The HB300 is an absolutely awesome guitar. With Duncan Distortions it sounds huge and is easy to play. I can't recommend these guitars enough. They don't come around very often, so snatch it up while you can.

Faldoe

Reaction score
I have one of these, along with a Viper baritone.

The HB300 is an absolutely awesome guitar. With Duncan Distortions it sounds huge and is easy to play. I can't recommend these guitars enough. They don't come around very often, so snatch it up while you can.

Sweet! My friend has a bari conversion strat with a DDistortion in the bridge and it seems pretty good.

I may look into SD and other stuff that isn't too expensive in case I don't like it and need to flip it for something else.

What string gauge would you all recommend?

I'll probably do B standard, dropping the Low to A. I may consider lower.

Chris; what tuning do you have your HB-300 in?

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'd check out the bridge on it, make sure it's up to snuff - I have an H207 that I had to replace the bridge on, it was total shit and collapsing in on itself. Threw a TonePros locking TOM on, and it's solid as a rock.

As for pickups, perhaps try a DiMarzio D-Sonic and Air Norton? Fantastic combo, and it can get really tight with the right EQing on your amp.

Faldoe

Reaction score
Body of the guitar is maple.

I've had a JB in the LP copy (mahogany body) and didn't like it.

Currently have a Custom 5 in the bridge, Jazz in the neck of the LP. Custom 5 suits that guitar better.

Faldoe

Reaction score
Bump. Throw out some more p'up suggestions.

I bought a set of D'Addario 7s set. Left out the high e. Guitar plays great now. The previous owner had some light gauge strings on there. I gave it a good setup and it is an awesome guitar.

I'm not sure what pickups are currently installed though.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking for articulate and balanced, even with mountains of gain, check out the 7 string version of the Seymour Duncan Black Winter. Excellent for pretty much any style.

Faldoe

Reaction score
If you're looking for articulate and balanced, even with mountains of gain, check out the 7 string version of the Seymour Duncan Black Winter. Excellent for pretty much any style.

I take it you mean the 6 string version?

indreku

Reaction score
black winter is cool, but also check Fastback guitars beardcombers, I use them in my main live/recording guitar....can handle really well low tunings.

Faldoe

Reaction score
I want something that is good for cleans as well a gain. Doesn't need to be vintage/PAF clean or anything like that, but something that will work well with my amp and guitar volume; Guitar volume up for heavy sounds (maybe with boost pedal) and then back off the guitar's volume for clean tones.

redlol

Reaction score
Evo/Breed set maybe? Very versatile set for sure.

bigshredder

Reaction score
I own this model. I think it's made of alder, not maple. I have bareknuckle aftermath installed in the bridge. Sounds massiv and with loads of low end!

Latest posts