ESP Snapper 7 PINK MONSTER (Ohmura Signature) demo and review

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
seems people love or hate it, but i love it, the sheer craziness of this, a statement, congrats dude

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score

AltecGreen

Reaction score
$12.6k USD. I never really thought of Baby Metal fans having the same budget as those who buy Murphy Labs or PRSs.

Babymetal hasn't used the Japanese players in a while. They been using Galactic Empire as a backing band for while. Ohmura has his own fans. Crazy fans in Japan will sacrifice everything else to buy stuff from their idols.

Unfortunately, $12-15K is not unusual for ESP Custom shop now. For example....

Moongrum

Reaction score
Ohmura has his own fans.
Ah, my bad.
Unfortunately, $12-15K is not unusual for ESP Custom shop now. For example....
Ah, yes, of course, the esteemed BanG Dream! Franchise....:scratch:
Are there Japanese gear forums that make fun of expensive anime fan guitars, like how the meta on Western gear forums is to make fun of expensive blues-lawyer/dentist guitars?😅 Or are we the only assholes?😅

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Ah, my bad.

Ah, yes, of course, the esteemed BanG Dream! Franchise....:scratch:
Are there Japanese gear forums that make fun of expensive anime fan guitars, like how the meta on Western gear forums is to make fun of expensive blues-lawyer/dentist guitars?😅 Or are we the only assholes?😅

The anime guitars have nothing on some of the other ESP Custom shop builds. Someone ordered this.

Moongrum

Reaction score
The anime guitars have nothing on some of the other ESP Custom shop builds. Someone ordered this.

Wow, there's so much I don't know about ESP. Is this shape a specific model, or is it custom itself? I have no doubt it's a great guitar, but feel like it would be a hard sell, since it doesn't resemble any famous artist's (that I'm aware of) guitar, or a well-known esp model. Maybe the perception is different in Japan?

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Wow, there's so much I don't know about ESP. Is this shape a specific model, or is it custom itself? I have no doubt it's a great guitar, but feel like it would be a hard sell, since it doesn't resemble any famous artist's (that I'm aware of) guitar, or a well-known esp model. Maybe the perception is different in Japan?

custom order. ESP is a full custom shop. They will, with specific restrictions, make anything if you have the cash.

That one has been sitting for months.

asopala

Reaction score
Ahh, the ESP custom shop. I went to their museum in Tokyo. Ohmura's guitar is honestly tame in comparison to some of the guitars I've seen ESP display, and that's saying something.

I feel like the more outrageous the guitar, the more it seems like an overcompensation for lack of skills. So yes, I want this very much.

The irony is if you've seen Ohmura's playing, he's easily one of the MOST skilled guitarists out there right now. But he's only really known in Japan and among people who saw Babymetal when they brought the backing band from Japan. They haven't done that since they did the gig with Galactic Empire and Sabaton opening for them in Tokyo.

Crundles

Reaction score
The irony is if you've seen Ohmura's playing, he's easily one of the MOST skilled guitarists out there right now. But he's only really known in Japan and among people who saw Babymetal when they brought the backing band from Japan. They haven't done that since they did the gig with Galactic Empire and Sabaton opening for them in Tokyo.
Ohmura is reasonably popular in guitar technique communities (all 1 of them, I guess), because he is insane, and has a weird enough technique to be of interest. Look at this fkin thing from 15 years ago:

asopala

Reaction score
Ohmura is reasonably popular in guitar technique communities (all 1 of them, I guess), because he is insane, and has a weird enough technique to be of interest. Look at this fkin thing from 15 years ago:

That is true, though he himself is still in a niche within a niche. Even among the guitar technique community he's not the most well-known in my experience. Interestingly enough, I've noticed Yngwie does a lot of the circular picking stuff that Ohmura does, but not nearly to the same degree. But it's pretty clear how much Ohmura loves Yngwie (though he's on record saying George Lynch was a bigger influence).

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
This would be kinda fly if the clip art inlays were deleted and didn't have the whole painted fingerboard a la Larry Graham's Moon bass.

Ebonol or super light maple board and a price tag of $1600 or less and it would be fun. The pink sparkle reminds me of everyday life in the 90s with all the Lisa Frank stuff from Ames.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score

Between him and Leda, that's the main reason I'm such a Babymetal fan, and how I found out about Mikio Fujioka. I mean all their shit is written by one dude and then they find guitar players good enough to figure out how to actually play it, it seems like they should be a lot bigger on guitar forums just because of the talent of their backing band.

asopala

Reaction score
Between him and Leda, that's the main reason I'm such a Babymetal fan, and how I found out about Mikio Fujioka. I mean all their shit is written by one dude and then they find guitar players good enough to figure out how to actually play it, it seems like they should be a lot bigger on guitar forums just because of the talent of their backing band.
Agreed. Though it's worth mentioning it's actually a whole team of people who write the songs, or rather different writers separately writing the music behind different songs. The power metal stuff is written by one guy (Norikazu Nakayama), the electronic stuff from another guy (Takeshi Ueda), etc. etc.

The annoying thing is the backing band has been hidden behind masks and wigs since I saw Avatar (one of my favorite bands) open for them, and the backing band isn't nearly as active a part of the show anymore. Honestly when I saw Avatar open that show, I felt like they upstaged the headliner!

How much of that is because Galactic Empire does that anyway when they're NOT backing Babymetal, I have no idea.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
That guitar is fucking loud. And that's just to look at it. However, I don't think this axe was made with going to a local blues jam in mind.
I took a hot pink Kramer, (that I'd setup for a buddy) to a blues Jam one time. You'd better be able to play when you show up with one of those. Fortunately, I could, but still...
Looked like this. No sustainier, but coli splitting mini switches

1987-kramer-american-sustainer-hot-pink-1Cn0sps.jpg

adrianb

Reaction score

I think Isao is pretty cool too. And his main guitars are 8 and 9 strings. Crazy.