ESP Stephen Carpenter 7 SC607B

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've had this guitar for about 2 months now, I felt I'd let my initial euphoria subside and then post a more level-headed review later, so here I am. I am motivated to write about this guitar, mainly because of how surprisingly excellent it is. I feel the need to get the word out. When I ordered my Rico Jr, I knew it would be world-class, I had dealt with Bernie Rico before and I liked his work. So it was like "wow this is amazing, but... well no shit". But with this ESP/LTD guitar, I really bought this as an experiment and it has been one of the most satisfying experiences I've had with guitars because it flat out is incredible.

Features: Neck-thru maple with maple wings. Arch top. 27" scale. 24 frets on a dark rosewood board. White binding on the neck & headstock. Tone Pros bridge. EMG 81-7 pickups. 1 Vol 1 Tone 3 way PU selector.

Playability: This is really where this guitar stands out. I was expecting a rather girthy neck like a Schecter Blackjack I had owned, I could not have been more wrong. The profile is extremely flat. It's wider than an old Ibanez, but the neck contour is very flat. It's a lot flatter than the Jackson COW or Carvin DC747 for example. Also this guitar balances better than any guitar I've ever owned, other than the Parker Fly. Standing up or sitting. Standing it lays completely even and does not dive or move at all. It's also rather light-weight. This guitar is just incredibly comfortable to play for long periods of time. The fretwork is flawless, no dead spots, the action is insanely low yet no buzzing. ESP USA does a great job setting these up.

Sound:
Well, it has EMG 81-7s. As most of you may know, I'm not an EMG fan. These don't sound too bad though. They have a lot more bass and low mids than I thought. I'm starting to theorize that the 81-7 and 81 are not identical. It seems like the 81-7 has something special going on for the low B string, it sounds different than when I had 81 equipped 6'ers tuned down to B. There is plenty of attack, sustain, clarity, etc. It's not my favorite tone in the world, but it actually sounds really good through certain amps. With the ENGL & VHT? Sounds excellent. Through the Mesa? Not so much, the 707 sounds much better with the Mesa than this. I like the way this guitar sounds, but I still may swap out the EMGs for Duncans or DiMarzios sometime soon anyways.

Value: Well, I paid the new price for this. I expected to return it after a week or 2 regardless of whether I liked it, but I loved it -so- much that I just couldn't do it. I actually enjoy playing it more than all my other guitars, eventhough I know the other ones are "better". At $899 I can't say this is a great value, but it really does play and feel like world-class instrument. I like this guitar so much, I intend on aquiring a companion for it, the one Shannon had with the burst finish.

Summary: Basically this is just a phenominal guitar that really impresses me every time a pick it up. I am not a big korean guitar fan but this is the nicest example of one I have ever encountered. I also really enjoy the 27" scale. I can use my set of 10's tuned to A and it keeps it plenty tight. It doesn't hinder playing leads higher up on the neck either really, although obviously 25.5 is easier.

I love this guitar! :wub: The only things I'd change would be a blank ebony board and sperzels like the MIJ Carpenters. I feel for $899 they could include those. Otherwise no complaints. Feel free to insert jokes about how I'll sell it yada yada, but this isn't going ANYWHERE :)

FINAL SCORE: 4.5 out of 5.0 Cousin Larry's

CousinLarry.jpg
CousinLarry.jpg
CousinLarry.jpg
CousinLarry.jpg
CousinLarry2.jpg

Pics:

004.jpg

TheGang2007e.jpg

TheGang2007d.jpg

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
nice review :yesway:

that one Shannon used to have was definitely hot! though, i do prefer the block style inlays on your Carvin (of the three you have there...).

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Can you resize the photos so i can read your review without having to scroll horizontally?

Feel free to insert jokes about how I'll sell it yada yada, but this isn't going ANYWHERE :)
Famous last words. ;)

I noticed that for 2007, they all have mahogany bodies now. And the SC-607B is now only available in black, and they dropped the sunburst SC-607. :(

It's too bad they didn't offer the SC-607B in the sunburst finish. I loved the look of Shannon's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hah sorry my resolution is 1600x1200. There.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
you'll sell it, mark my words ;)

but i have to agree with you they are amazing guitars and the neck is alot thinner than i expected, my only gripe was the positioning of the controls bet heck how long does it take to ajust to a thing as minor as that. awesome review man :yesway:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
you'll sell it, mark my words ;)

but i have to agree with you they are amazing guitars and the neck is alot thinner than i expected, my only gripe was the positioning of the controls bet heck how long does it take to ajust to a thing as minor as that. awesome review man :yesway:

I don't see why I'd sell it. I've tried everything out there and this is oh so right for me. The only reason I'd sell it would be if I found the ESP MIJ version for cheap - because I love ebony boards.

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
yeah i wouldnt blame you for keeping it they're that nice, a keeper if you will :agreed:, i found the Baritone version sounded alot nicer than the standard one too, had a larger sound, but i guess thats the whole baritone thing :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well when I get the SC607 25.5 model I will be putting in different pickups anyways, so I'll get it sounding right in a jiffy :yesway: I do agree though, I'm fine with 25.5 scales but the 27" does add a cool flavor to the sound.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice. I really need to have a go at one of these someday. I played Shannon's and the neck seemed a little thick for my tastes but I'm sure it's something I could get use to.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice. I really need to have a go at one of these someday. I played Shannon's and the neck seemed a little thick for my tastes but I'm sure it's something I could get use to.

It's thicker than the JP7 or Ibanez, but really not a whole lot. I'm playing it now and it's very close, it's defintely wider but the contour is almost compltely flat on mine.

jtm45

Reaction score
Cool review man:hbang:
That's a real nice guitar. I want one badly but the 27" scale worries me a bit (short fingers!),but the regular scale one doesn't have the cool reverse headstock!!!?! Dilemma time:scratch:
They're also around £800 at least over here (approx $1600!!!!).Nasty!

Beautiful collection man!!!
That BRJ V is a stunner (nice colour choice:yesway: ) and that Carvin is gorgeous too.
You've got it so much better in the U.S. as far as guitar prices go.:noplease:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool review man:hbang:
That's a real nice guitar. I want one badly but the 27" scale worries me a bit (short fingers!),but the regular scale one doesn't have the cool reverse headstock!!!?!

I have small hands and I had no issues with the 27" scale on the KXK. I wouldn't let it worry you - I didn't like it sonically, but playing-wise, it was pretty easy to adjust to.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the review.
if these came with a floyd I'd be very interested, I love the one Devin Townsend plays

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have small hands and I had no issues with the 27" scale on the KXK. I wouldn't let it worry you - I didn't like it sonically, but playing-wise, it was pretty easy to adjust to.

Yeah so do I, no worries on the 27" scale folks.

jtm45

Reaction score
That's good to know:yesway:

I might try and get one from the U.S. if i can find an affordable (and reliable)way of shipping it.
It works out at more or less half the price i'd pay for one here.

I like the regular 607 in the natural mahogany finish too,but again,there's no reverse headstock.:(

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I could trade you mine for your LACS Dino ;) But yeah it's a great guitar, you'd really like it. I'm an Ibanez guy at heart when it comes to feel, and I'm right at home w/ the ESP.

jtm45

Reaction score
Definitely gotta' try and get my hands on one.
The ESP models are real nice but i just can't see that they'd be worth the huge amount extra they charge for them.
It looks like you get a hell of a lot of guitar for your money with the LTD SC's.

You don't see them on ebay very often though unfortunately.People must hang on to them.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good review Nick. I got to play the mahogany SC607B and maple SC607 before Christmas and the SC607 is waaay to bright for my tastes. The SC607B is definitely a guitar I want, in the natural mahogany finish.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good review Nick. I got to play the mahogany SC607B and maple SC607 before Christmas and the SC607 is waaay to bright for my tastes. The SC607B is definitely a guitar I want, in the natural mahogany finish.

Thanks. Yeah mine is maple, I don't it's think really that bright at all, seems more balanced to me, but then again a VHT + Oversized Mesa cab = plenty of warmth. That being said I too would like to acquire the mahogany model sometime too. The natural mahogany finish is no longer available on the SC607B though, for 2007 it replaced the sunburst finish on the SC607 25.5 model.