Etherial Guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Way to take an analogy and turn it around. If you can't see that, then maybe you guys (and girls?) need to chill out a bit. Not everything is political, or needs to be politically correct. It's simply an analogy of a guy, thinking he is getting one thing, and getting something very different.

Yeah, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if it didn't go as far as it did. It's an easy mistake to make, but I try to avoid talking like that because there are a lot of people easily hurt by jokes like that (a trans girl mentioned them in her suicide note only a week back stateside, which is probably a big part about why I'm so touchy on it right now).
Kinda like how I made suicide jokes a few years back and thought they were funny until I made one to a friend that lost their mother to it.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
10868081_784322684938475_8098565625425775366_n.jpg

:ugh: I don't know much about interlectual property, but I wonder if he will give credit to watsisface on here about those curved frets.

---edit---

I also don;t know much about the physics of these things, but should the curve straighten out around the twelfth fret and curve the over way by the time it gets to the bridge?

ormsby guitars

Reaction score
Actually, once again, this is 'change where it's not useful'

It's not the Oni system, which has merit and increases scale lengths exponentially.

This is simply a regular fan, with the bass side progressively moved further down the neck. Which of course, requires a curved bridge, which he's done.

There is no advantage at all, but one major disadvantage: the curved frets are ALL going the opposite way to the way you finger curves naturally.

So. Fail.

I'm assuming the client probably suggested this? Sometimes, as a builder, you have to just say 'no' to ideas...

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I think FGN guitars do frets that are a lot more like those than say Oni's but the FGN ones are almost imperceptibly curved whereas these look far too exaggerated.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
"All the comfort of a fanned fret, Changed to give Thumb Tessellations" - The Cool Term for Tendinitis.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Oh boy....

Way to take an analogy and turn it around. If you can't see that, then maybe you guys (and girls?) need to chill out a bit. Not everything is political, or needs to be politically correct. It's simply an analogy of a guy, thinking he is getting one thing, and getting something very different.

Next time i'll use a "fake ferrari kit car, advertised as the real deal with blurry photos" story.

Nah, I got your point and that's why I didn't make a bigger deal about it. It's not a ViK situation or anything.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
This is a huge example of trying to "run before you can walk". This guy hasn't even proven that he can make a decent traditional guitar but he tries to make these exotic customs anyway.

He goes for carbon fiber wrapped crazy finish curvy frets and he cant even cut a clean pickup route on it.:noplease:

ormsby guitars

Reaction score
This is a huge example of trying to "run before you can walk". This guy hasn't even proven that he can make a decent traditional guitar but he tries to make these exotic customs anyway.

He goes for carbon fiber wrapped crazy finish curvy frets and he cant even cut a clean pickup route on it.:noplease:

Or find a pickup that is long enough for both bobbins to reach across all strings

:/

But it's a signature model. The owner will be stoked...

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Not to defend this, but Mr Etharial has been building guitars for a long time and did start with more traditional wooden ones. I think you can see some in old facebook pictures. He seems to have rebooted his company in the last few years ago. It's a pity he is so secretive with most guitars getting one or no pictures taken and uploaded. I would love to sit and nitpick over these.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Not to defend this, but Mr Etharial has been building guitars for a long time and did start with more traditional wooden ones. I think you can see some in old facebook pictures. He seems to have rebooted his company in the last few years ago. It's a pity he is so secretive with most guitars getting one or no pictures taken and uploaded. I would love to sit and nitpick over these.

Sooo...I checked out his facebook. :ugh:

384628_298495816854500_1470402012_n.jpg

geoffstgermaine

Reaction score

That looks like far too much fret having to be filed down for fret levelling. I would not accept this amount of fret being filed off on any of the guitars I build and this indicates that the fretboard itself is poorly levelled. Based on what I've read I really don't understand what this guy is doing. There is such a thing as quality craftsmanship where this just looks like an exercise in cutting corners and covering it in a fancy looking facade.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

As cool as it is to see more builders attempting nonlinear multiscale designs (escale is technically a series /pedant), this is a perfect example of how NOT to do it. Bass side curvature is minimized in the upper regions of the fretboard, where reduced curvature is least beneficial. Treble curvature is lowest near the nut. The result is completely unintuitive under the hands and inhibits playability rather than optimizing it.

Ugh. Dan put who knows how many hours into his escale designs. I've easily sunk dozens of hours into optimizing a variant for my own needs... This looks like it was slapped together in a couple of hours tops with zero thought or testing during the process.

Malkav said:
I think FGN guitars do frets that are a lot more like those than say Oni's but the FGN ones are almost imperceptibly curved whereas these look far too exaggerated.
FGN pushes the middle of the fret forward and pulls the outer ends back to accommodate the fact that strings don't run perfectly perpendicular to the frets. Completely different goals - FGN's design is more about (miniscule) improvements to intonation than anything regarding playability and is pretty transparent under the hand relative to normal single-scale frets.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score

At no point should your fretwork require you to take the frets down this far. If this is what you have to do, you're doing it wrong.

He's going to have a lot of fine metal dust in the pores of the fretboard and a simple slip with that particular file (which is really nice btw - i have one) will nick the fretboard. Tape that off!

They're definitely not worn frets either. You can see where he's marked off the frets in green marker.

Latest posts