Evan's Official Transcription thread

• Thread starter Evan89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Evan89

Reaction score
First, thank you to all who have supported my transcription projects so far. It's truly been an honor to work with Cynic and Exodus, and I'm looking forward to collaborating with many more artists and putting out lots of official, artist-approved transcriptions. My goal is to work with artists directly, using the isolated guitar tracks, to ensure 100% accuracy. You'd think that would be common practice, but unfortunately it's not usually the case.

I have many more projects already in the works, but I'd love to hear what bands and albums are on your transcription wishlists. Feel free to include albums that have books already, but should be redone, like Rust in Peace. I'll use this thread to keep everyone updated with upcoming projects, answer questions, etc. If you have questions about how I transcribe, I'd be happy to answer those as well. I also sometimes do personal transcription requests, so if there's a song or part you want, send me a message here or email me at maytropolees@comcast.net and I'll at least listen to it.

Here are some threads about my projects:
Cynic - Focus: https://sevenstring.org/threads/cynic-focus-official-tab-book-coming-soon-transcribed-by-me.333335/
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned: https://sevenstring.org/threads/exo...d-official-tab-book-transcribed-by-me.336003/
Savatage discography: https://sevenstring.org/threads/savatage-tabs-full-discography.331921/

mastapimp

Reaction score
Would love to see some of the Nevermore catalog transcribed. Especially TGE and DHIADW. I'd also love to see some Soilwork, modern Testament, and Carcass.

As for redoing something like RIP, I got that hal leondard tab book in middle school and it's riddled with errors. I'd love to see it fixed, but I think Abysslord has already done a terrific job with that and most of Megadeth's entire discography.

Evan89

Reaction score
Would love to see some of the Nevermore catalog transcribed. Especially TGE and DHIADW. I'd also love to see some Soilwork, modern Testament, and Carcass.

As for redoing something like RIP, I got that hal leondard tab book in middle school and it's riddled with errors. I'd love to see it fixed, but I think Abysslord has already done a terrific job with that and most of Megadeth's entire discography.
Those bands are all high on my list. Kragen Lum and I are actually already looking into doing a "best of" Nevermore book. I'd love to make it happen, but there's definitely more involved on the legal/publishing side compared to previous projects. I've been in touch with Peter Wichers already about a different project, hopefully he can help get me in touch with the Soilwork guys and maybe he has some of the tracks/stems. I've transcribed a few songs from The Formation of Damnation, but if I could get the isolated tracks, I'd love to do any and all Testament albums. Some of the old albums had books from Cherry Lane, but they're pretty bad from what I've seen. The Gathering never had a book, and it's the 20th anniversary this year. My hope is to do books for Surgical Steel and Heartwork from Carcass. Now that I have a connection with Kragen/Exodus/Nuclear Blast, I think there's a decent chance. Thanks for your feedback!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
You are doing great work dude! A lot of bands, magazines and publishing companies put minimal effort into transcriptions so it’s really good to see someone putting in that much work.

Carcass would be a difficult one with how raw their tracks can be, do you tab every little variation of a riff when it’s repeated or the micro timing errors and tempo fluctuations. Not a straight forward job but a heartwork tab book would be an awesome sight to see.

Soilwork would be awesome, the majority of available tabs on the net are poor.

Nevermore tab books would be cool too, there are great tabs for Loomis solos but not for the more intricate rhythm work.

Pretty much any nuclear blast band could do with releasing a tab book. It always puzzles me why bands like in flames, bodom, soilwork etc don’t release tab books with their newer albums to encourage sales. It’s a big gap in the market.

Evan89

Reaction score
You are doing great work dude! A lot of bands, magazines and publishing companies put minimal effort into transcriptions so it’s really good to see someone putting in that much work.

Carcass would be a difficult one with how raw their tracks can be, do you tab every little variation of a riff when it’s repeated or the micro timing errors and tempo fluctuations. Not a straight forward job but a heartwork tab book would be an awesome sight to see.

Soilwork would be awesome, the majority of available tabs on the net are poor.

Nevermore tab books would be cool too, there are great tabs for Loomis solos but not for the more intricate rhythm work.

Pretty much any nuclear blast band could do with releasing a tab book. It always puzzles me why bands like in flames, bodom, soilwork etc don’t release tab books with their newer albums to encourage sales. It’s a big gap in the market.
Generally, I do transcribe variations of riffs, unless I'm able to ask the artist "was this intentional or not?" In the case of the Exodus book, there were a few parts like that, where the left and right rhythm guitars were doing slightly different things. Gary Holt indicated that the riff was intended to be played a certain way, so I edited my original transcription to reflect that.

Regarding Nuclear Blast, I've been wondering that too. Symphony X are another band on there that should have books by now. They're one of the most requested bands, hopefully I can convince them to do something.

Last edited:

Rosal76

Reaction score
I wonder if Muhammed transcribed any of that album, considering he did the Epitaph book.

Hey, Evan. Muhammed did have the music for Onset tabbed out for the other guitar players in the band (Christian Muenzner and Sami Raatifkainen) to learn from. Unfortunately, Muhammed seems to be difficult to get a hold of nowadays. There are a couple of pictures of him taken from a few death metal shows from last year so he is out and about. Also, Christian Muenzner claims that he still has the guitar tablature for Onset but, unfortunately, he explained that he can't publish them because he doesn't own the rights to the music. I would assume/guess we would need Muhammed's permission first and foremost to get a tab book going.

Last edited:

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Hey, Evan. Muhammed did have the music for Onset tabbed out for the other guitar players in the band (Christian Muenzner and Sami Raatifkainen) to learn from. Unfortunately, Muhammed seems to be difficult to get a hold of nowadays. There are a couple of pictures of him taken from a few death metal shows from last year so he out and about. Also, Christian Muenzner claims that he still has the guitar tablature for Onset but, unfortunately, he explained that he can't publish them because he doesn't own the rights to the music. I would assume/guess we would need Muhammed's permission first and foremost to get a tab book going.

He would make some decent cash if he'd license it. Damn I'd eat that and never be able to play it well in a minute!

There's literally too much to ask for to transcribe. Individual songs would probably be better in my case. I'm sure we all are keen for any BETTER transcriptions of Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Suffocation, Decrepit Birth, Incantation, Nile, etc. For me, if I could ever learn a track or two by Vitriol and Blood Incantation, I'd be soooo happy.

Keep up the awesome work! Excited to see what comes next!

Rosal76

Reaction score
Many years ago, Erik Rutan (from Hate Eternal) mentioned putting out a "best of Hate Eternal" guitar tablature book. He said that he had seen guitar tablature for Hate Eternal songs online and they were wrong and he realized that there was a demand for correct tabs from the musicians themselves. To this day, years later, I'm still looking for any updates on the book but nothing happened.

IMHO, a project for a Hate Eternal guitar tab book between Erik and Evan would be awesome. Erik is super friendly and a tab book promotes his music even more. If Erik/Evan green light the project, I'm sold. Purchased the day it comes out.

Evan89

Reaction score
Many years ago, Erik Rutan (from Hate Eternal) mentioned putting out a "best of Hate Eternal" guitar tablature book. He said that he had seen guitar tablature for Hate Eternal songs online and they were wrong and he realized that there was a demand for correct tabs from the musicians themselves. To this day, years later, I'm still looking for any updates on the book but nothing happened.

IMHO, a project for a Hate Eternal guitar tab book between Erik and Evan would be awesome. Erik is super friendly and a tab book promotes his music even more. If Erik/Evan green light the project, I'm sold. Purchased the day it comes out.
I was hoping I'd get to talk to Erik when I saw Cannibal Corpse last month, but unfortunately I wasn't able to meet with them. Maybe I'll try contacting him via facebook.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Generally, I do transcribe variations of riffs, unless I'm able to ask the artist "was this intentional or not?" In the case of the Exodus book, there were a few parts like that, where the left and right rhythm guitars were doing slightly different things. Gary Holt indicated that the riff was intended to be played a certain way, so I edited my original transcription to reflect that.

Cool, its been a while since I tabbed Heartwork but I remember lots of riffs and subtle variations on each repeat that made it tricky to be exact but if you can get the master tracks that would be so awesome.

Regarding Nuclear Blast, I've been wondering that too. Symphony X are another band on there that should have books by now. They're one of the most requested bands, hopefully I can convince them to do something.

Especially since Michael Romeo's DVD sold so well. I ask a lot of guys about it and they all have their reasons. Arif from PTH never thought of doing it before but after a couple of pints he was really enthusiastic about the idea. The guys from Blind Guardian said they improvise a lot of guitar parts so tabbing would be very difficult, also tabbing out 6 lead guitar lines would be a nightmare. Paul Gilbert said before he tabs things the way he planned to play them and not how he played them so thats why he prefers to teach through DVDs and video.
A few players have said they don't know how to use guitar pro or couldn't be bothered, have to roll my eyes when I see them ranting on FB about not making money in the music business anymore. A lot have plans but just don't get around to it or it gets caught up with legal troubles when disputing album royalties.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Those bands are all high on my list. Kragen Lum and I are actually already looking into doing a "best of" Nevermore book. I'd love to make it happen, but there's definitely more involved on the legal/publishing side compared to previous projects. I've been in touch with Peter Wichers already about a different project, hopefully he can help get me in touch with the Soilwork guys and maybe he has some of the tracks/stems. I've transcribed a few songs from The Formation of Damnation, but if I could get the isolated tracks, I'd love to do any and all Testament albums. Some of the old albums had books from Cherry Lane, but they're pretty bad from what I've seen. The Gathering never had a book, and it's the 20th anniversary this year. My hope is to do books for Surgical Steel and Heartwork from Carcass. Now that I have a connection with Kragen/Exodus/Nuclear Blast, I think there's a decent chance. Thanks for your feedback!

Oh man Evan, you already did some Testament?! That’s killer! Would love to get those and some of the last few albums of them! Nevermore is great. There’s a lot out there by Jeff and decent stuff from others but official ones would be killer. I’ll also mention the new Haken, any scar symmetry, circus Maximus or pagans mind!

Evan89

Reaction score
Oh man Evan, you already did some Testament?! That’s killer! Would love to get those and some of the last few albums of them! Nevermore is great. There’s a lot out there by Jeff and decent stuff from others but official ones would be killer. I’ll also mention the new Haken, any scar symmetry, circus Maximus or pagans mind!
The Testament transcriptions I did on my own a while back, not in an official capacity. Hopefully I can work with them through my Exodus connection. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll just put them out via my youtube channel. I'd have to give Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind a more thorough listen, I never got into them. I need to ask Paul Masvidal again if he can get me in touch with Per Nilsson regarding SS transcriptions.

I mentioned this in my response to your youtube comment, but I'll repost it here:
Haken self-released a tab book for Affinity, and it sounds like Vector is in the works.
https://www.facebook.com/HakenOfficial/photos/a.102809109743/10156275991834744/?type=1&theater

The Mirror

Reaction score
Awesome work!

The records I'd love to have transcripted would probably be quite some hassle.

But well, simply...

Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

I've said it multiple times that I haven't heard a single version of a song like Skeksis that seems even remotely accurate to the original.

Devin's high concept stuff is so out there in terms of overlayered guitar parts and impossible to hear nuances that I'd literally throw my money at tab books of these two records.

Latest posts