Evertune Bass Bridge

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I guess I can only speak for myself but none of those things have even remotely been an issue for me on any bass I've owned. Basses, in general, don't really have the same types of tuning issues that you sometimes get on guitar... for many reasons. The pitch warble (which a lot of people specifically want) solution is really the only point that makes sense in the context of bass IMO. I might be missing something with all of this though, I've always used appropriate string gauges for really low tunings.

On bass I'd be more interesting in hearing how the mass of the bridge affects the sustain and low mid response of the instrument. I also wonder if it would have an affect on dead spots. The way those things are affected have the potential to appeal to a lot of bassists outside of the low tuning crowd.

For recording this is HUGE. The low end being slightly off can kill the punch and clarity of the bass and the mix.

Even a good player can pick or finger too hard or too soft on certain notes which causes the tuning to shift flat or sharp. A lot of producers melodyne the bass it is, this will theoretically allow them to skip that step.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts and guesses ...

With bass EverTune, the visible part of the bridge (the ball-end anchor and the surface that supports the saddle) is a single unit, therefore this entire 'upper unit' moves to implement the EverTune functionality.

With guitar EverTune, the entire mechanism module is moved horizontally and vertically to adjust intonation and string height (see https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/evertune-tuning-and-setup-guide/).
With bass EverTune, the saddle moves relative to the upper unit to adjust intonation and string height. Therefore the EverTune mechanism is fixed to the bass guitar (unlike guitar EverTune).

I doubt the upper unit rotates on a pivot because: The intonation adjustment range of the saddle would dramatically alter the relative position of the saddle to the pivot, causing the EverTune mechanism to not behave as it should.
Therefore my guess is that the motion of the upper unit is a horizontal sliding motion, this would negate any effect of saddle adjustments.

I am not sure the upper unit actually 'slides' in a purely horizontal motion, because sliding mechanisms tend to have significant friction.
The EverTune mechanism must have extremely low friction to function properly. Guitar EverTune has the saddles pivoting on knife edges just like a tremolo bridge.
Perhaps the mechanism is a 'Parallelogram 4-bar linkage', this would result in the upper unit moving very nearly horizontally for the small range of movement the EverTune mechanism requires.

I am curious about whether there is an inertial mass (a 'sustain block') in the mechanism other than the upper unit, and whether there is some kind of lever mechanism acting as an 'inertia multiplier' for the inertial mass as in guitar EverTune.

Bass EverTune seems a much refined and surprisingly compact design, fitting approximately within the footprint of the string anchor and saddle adjustment range, and not even routed completely through the body. My guess is that guitar EverTune v2 will be based on this seemingly superior bass EverTune design.

With guitar EverTune, the otherwise loose string modules are laterally compressed together by a side spring. This is not a particularly rigid way to anchor them to the guitar (which might be one cause of the claimed worse tone and sustain).
The bass EverTune design has the EverTune mechanism fixed to the bass, and the saddle firmly fixed to the mechanism, it seems more rigid.

ixlramp

Reaction score
They've already confirmed that the guitar V2.0 will be a re-sized version of the bass Evertune.
Ah awesome! I did not know this, thanks.

With this new design having a long platform that moves horizontally, perhaps a Headless EverTune might be possible, with a headless tuner mounted on that long platform?
If their intention is to create the 'ultimate tuning hardware' then headless seems obvious because, of course, headless hardware is the ultimate tuning hardware :agreed:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They've already confirmed that the guitar V2.0 will be a re-sized version of the bass Evertune. Which they hope will be able to translate to a trem version, presumably by mounting it to a baseplate in the same way its currently mounted the bass.
Damn, if they could make it smaller for guitar I'd be way more into that.

xplanet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First one after a year wait had small sanding issues on the neck and some minor chips / scratches in the finish . Contacted them and was told the entire shipment had QC issues from China . Had the option of 15% off or wait for a new one . Waited another year and got one that was fine but I noticed the pickguard was installed slightly lopsided . There was about a eighth of an inch gap that tapered down to about a 32nd of an inch to the pickups where it should be . Shouldn't have to drill into a 3k bass . I traded that one for a MIM 70's Vintera Jazz Fender and a load of cash , and the build quality on it is better than the Dingwall for literally about half the price . I've contemplated making a thread about the entire story , but I don't want to be that guy who is sounding the 7th trumpet for no reason . Things happen , it was during covid , I get it . They were nice too . But I'd only ever consider the actual made in Canada ones from now on if I ever wanted one again . I guess they weren't duds but for how they make QC in Canada a big deal , it was no different than a mediocre oversea quality .
Don’t want to go off topic but I agree, my NG 3 isn’t that great either, sounds very good but feels way cheaper than my 2010 LTD B1006 made by WMI. I’m gonna flip it and take the hit.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
They've already confirmed that the guitar V2.0 will be a re-sized version of the bass Evertune. Which they hope will be able to translate to a trem version, presumably by mounting it to a baseplate in the same way its currently mounted the bass.
Excellent.

Hopefully the Ever2une (I'm going to make a hard push for that to be the name) will be out relatively soon. A couple of projects I have gestating could be affected by the debut if it's soon enough.

Might also be a good time to start purchasing current ET components as a back up just in case v1.0 may be going away in the next couple of years or so.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
There's actually 2 Evertunes on Reverb at the moment for £200 each I was eyeing up for the same reason!
So far we have:
Evertune
Ever2une
2Fast2tune
3vertune
4eva-tune
Anymore?

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
If the V2 guitar bridge is also top mount and much smaller I may finally pick up a bridge to retrofit in a guitar or two.

LeftyJuggernaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Hold on… WHAT?! Where was this announcement, I had no idea there was an updated Evertune in the works, is there a list of things to expect from it?

LeftyJuggernaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It was on their website years ago with the "Bass Evertune - Its almost ready" announcement

Interesting, I did see the announcement of the trem version but I had no idea they were updating the original Evertune, that’s very exciting and I’ll be eagerly waiting to see it!

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
It looks great, IMO.

Maybe people here are better than me, or have better equipment, but I definitely find that the lowest notes can have a lot of wobble in pitch which is problematic when recording.