Evertune Bass Bridge

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I know this has been in the works for yeeeeeeeeeeears.
I find it looks clunky and less sleek compared to the Evertune for guitars. That route is also reeeeaally ugly. But according to them it requires very little routing? Sounds like it uses a different kind of system if that's the case, which explains the different look.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Hard to speculate but I recall that most of the newer design was meant to carry over into the next iteration of the guitar system.

I recall the demo over two years ago at this point and felt that the thing may never get released. Looks similar to a modified stop-tail/TOM setup which is interesting. However, this raises some interesting questions of what else it can do from here.

I'm assuming that there must be a 5-string version at the very least, though wait and see. The main "issue" with the existing design was that it couldn't accept string gauges greater than .074 (it was widened to .080). One of those unusual cases for the most benefit for this technology is actually in a niche market so there's no grudge or blame that most of the revenue and market-share goes to 6 string guitars in more "normalish" tuning which has been the main driver for them. You could do a Bass-VI (30") with a 74/76/78 gauge E1 as it stands right now (might be too light for folks) but that would need to be a custom build or an evertune install to an existing guitar or else mod the nut on a Solar 29".

Given the bass re-design. it looks like strings greater than 80 (naturally) can be accommodated now. Appears that the Evertune bass bridge has fixed string spacing (one of the interesting quirks of bass design if you want 18mm, 16.5mm, 15.5mm etc). It'll be curious to see how it's adapted to the newer guitar version (which will probably come out at minimum 6 years). Intriguing that the plates seem to imply that the newer hardware is more akin to a monorail/single-saddle setup which would be interesting to accommodate fanned-fret instruments which, as of right now, need have the perpendicular fret be the bridge itself, which consequently limits a multi-scale to a .5/.75 inch fan (miniscule).

Applaud them for finally accomplishing this but nonetheless unless their design can accommodate any "nth" number of strings, probably won't directly seek out an equipped bass or guitar with it. More power to you if you're one of the users who can benefit from it as it stands right now.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

I know this has been in the works for yeeeeeeeeeeears.
I find it looks clunky and less sleek compared to the Evertune for guitars. That route is also reeeeaally ugly. But according to them it requires very little routing? Sounds like it uses a different kind of system if that's the case, which explains the different look.

I wonder how much if any of this will carry over to an updated or new guitar version. (Which they should totally name the Ever2une)

I can also see that from this being top loading, it may play a part in the fabled trem Evertune if they're still doing that.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it just a recessed top route? It looked and sounded like it's not as invasive as the guitar version.

@PBC 19mm spacing for Fenders and all of the Fender clones is nice but definitely limits the application. I'd guess most of the people using Evertune bridges are tuning down, so you'd think they wouldn't just gear it for Fender styled instruments.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
It's either top routed or they did't want to show the enormous back route which would derail all the excitement with comments about it. If it works top routed that is a great update.

I remember chatting to someone who was helping design this and the Evertune 2 bridge over 8 years ago. It must take a long time to design and produce these.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Was going to make a thread for this!
Evertune actually teased this for April 1st on Instagram in a since deleted post.

Lorcan - would love to know if you could share anything from your conversation. These bridges fascinate me and I've got one!

When I did my Evertune build I did loads of research into the bass version for my bandmate. Scouring all the interviews and articles that mentioned it, led me to the following info:
> The bass version will be shortly followed by the V2 guitar version.
> This will most likely be modular so there doesn't need to be a different 6/7/8 string version, likewise for multiscale
> The trem version will be close behind, as it will build off the V2 tech.
> Piano version coming soon (lol)

The side view in the video made the bridge look rear mounted with the lack of screws etc of the face of the guitar. Similar to the 2Tek hardtail bridge:

63630-c0492621571c9029ae29cdd96fa30e2a.jpg

dsc_0155-jpg.2171898

50095590_2028867873868574_2772054854426689536_n.jpg

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Multiscale bass versions would be amazing. I'd consider chopping up one of my Dingwalls for that.

ixlramp

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing the mechanism to see how it works.

With an EverTune bass bridge there is the big challenge of achieving the necessary high inertia of the floating bridge to firmly anchor the string, to maintain good tone, brightness and sustain.
The guitar version has generated some complaints about tone and sustain, which might possibly be due to insufficient bridge inertia.
Bass strings have very much more mass than guitar strings (approximately 6 times more, comparing a .105 to a .042), and will therefore require very much more bridge inertia.

The challenge is even more difficult because guitarists are more accepting of the way a tremolo bridge creates a slightly softer, darker tone with slightly less sustain. However, bass guitarists are used to the tone and sustain of fixed bridges.
There might be more complaints with the bass version.

Design comments:
* It seems (i could be wrong) that strings have to be threaded through a hole, they are not 'slot loading', this could possibly be a problem for large gauges like .145 and larger.
* Saddle radius seems (i could be wrong) excessively large.

Now cue the music media's ignorant clickbait hype and sensationalism of this product for their own financial interests :) :lol:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have used some Evertune bridges and set up many of them. It's an innovative idea, but unnecessary for me, personally.

I rarely have to tune my basses more than a few cents. If someone has so many tuning issues with a bass that they need to consider an Evertune, I suspect there are other issues going on in said instrument.

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
This will be a no-brainer purchase for me. The worst part of recording is getting that initial strike of a low string to not flop around and jump in pitch, that’s worth the price of admission alone for me.
I too see this as the main advantage and will definitely be getting one - if the bass bridge is anything like its guitar counterpart, you can really hit the strings hard and still record a pitch perfect take. This, as well as the better intonation across the neck, are IMO stronger selling points for the bass bridge than needing to tune the instrument less often (which is more a convenient side benefit).

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I too see this as the main advantage and will definitely be getting one - if the bass bridge is anything like its guitar counterpart, you can really hit the strings hard and still record a pitch perfect take.

For guitars, I've heard people say the Evertune helps reduce issues with having, what would typically be, a too short scale for them and their tuning. I wonder if it could help a 34" bass sound/feel more like a 35" (or longer) for the same reason

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist in the bass world.
I've seen this take a few times, and I'm a bit confused by it.

-Shifting tuning issues with touring, weather changes etc - exist on both instruments
-Pitch warble from attack - exists on both instruments and is arguably more of an issue on bass in terms of solid low end production in studio (Andy Sneap for example will run autotune on the bass track to keep it almost synthlike).
-Guitar typically involves more nuanced playing with bends and such that (depending how hard you want to set it) can be affected on an Evertune. Arguably there are less downsides with bass in that case, so, if you were going to pick just one instrument that it makes more sense on forever reason, it really seems to be bass, to me. The only argument I can see for it making more sense on guitar (again, if you had to pick just one, which I don't think is necessary) would be that an individual may only notice tuning issues when playing chords

For guitars, I've heard people say the Evertune helps reduce issues with having, what would typically be, a too short scale for them and their tuning. I wonder if it could help a 34" bass sound/feel more like a 35" (or longer) for the same reason

Certainly , on either instrument, if your main issue with a lighter string gauge is pitch warble rather than buzz, then yes you can use an Evertune set hard to keep the pitch solid and use a lighter string, helping to avoid the tonal issue of a thick gauge sounding too dark on a short scale.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had a thought yesterday . Wonder if this new bridge will allow a 4 string to be tuned BEAD with those string gauges , if not bigger . I can play a 6 string easily , but sometimes if you're chugging on the lowest 2 strings for a simple riff , a slim 4 string neck makes it more enjoyable . A future bass project of mine would have what I mentioned above and I feel as if an evertune bridge would be beneficial for that purpose . Curious to see what the holes are drilled out to for the both the 4 and 5 string evertune bridges .