Every Time I Die is done

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
For example, this is his take on everything.
Yup, that's the way I see it, too. For a minute I thought you meant there's actually more to the phrase than what I know about its use. I didn't read the sarcasm.

The thing is in the end we'll never really know what's going on. The truth is probably somewhere in-between the band's story and his. These threads are fun to follow 'cause we cherish the band but it's hard to tell what's really happening from the outside.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup, that's the way I see it, too. For a minute I thought you meant there's actually more to the phrase than what I know about its use. I didn't read the sarcasm.

The thing is in the end we'll never really know what's going on. The truth is probably somewhere in-between the band's story and his. These threads are fun to follow 'cause we cherish the band but it's hard to tell what's really happening from the outside.

NVM.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was supposed to see them along with a local band Spiritbox and Underoath in March here in Vancouver . I only really knew Spiritbox at the time when I got my tickets and a bit of Underoath . After listening to ETID I was instantly hooked and grabbed some shirts for the show . Radical is an amazing album , been blasting Gutter Phenomenon a bunch lately .

Pretty sad I won't be able to see them , but overall pretty sad that a band of 20+ years has ended with a less than desirable way of doing so . Everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinions , but when you've spent that much time together , I feel like some simple communication could have made it preventable , in some shape or form . Eitherway , some things must come to an end , and I wish everyone apart of ETID finds something that makes them happy .

Necky379

Reaction score
The Behind the Music episode in 10 years is going to be MJ popcorn, fucking excited for the future

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
One thing for sure is that people that use the phrase "MY truth" are usually not interested in what the truth actually is. Keith is a brilliant, immensely talented guy but his truth makes no sense on its face. This sucks regardless of what the truth actually is.
Nailed it. People only want to see/perceive selectively, as long as it reinforces their own personal, subjective beliefs and personal, subjective ideas. This is why social media is a toxic vat that cultivates so many terribly unhealthy echo chambers through selective perception and the ability to utilize online filtering on platforms in order to reinforce bias and/or even outright deny objective, factual truth.

I see what you are saying but that phrase is so commonplace now that it could just be that: this is how me (Keith) sees things. This is my experience which doesn't have to coincide with what the other members are saying.
Yep. The phrase "MY truth" (not "THE truth") is so commonplace nowadays because people of the current generation are selfish, weak, and desire personal bias reinforcement through sheltering themselves via their continual (mainly social media fueled) refusal to accept that there is an objective, factual truth beyond what they merely perceive. This objective truth is philosophically the overlap (common ground) that exists between multiple upon multiple different subjective perceptions of a given event.

This is exactly what Keith is doing.

And even though ETID have been one of my favorite bands and biggest musical influences over many years now, and I still consider Keith to be one of the greatest, most clever vocalists in "heavy" music ever with his extensive knowledge (of literature, mythology, philosophy, sociology, etc.) given his personal background as a teacher and as a writer.....fuck Keith in this case.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
This gets into some of the things Keith experienced after he stopped drinking, it’s from Nov of 2021, so shit was already going down in the band by this point and while he doesn’t talk about the band at all in this, that’s kind of telling in itself.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/keith-buckley-my-life-story

There’s quite a bit in the last couple paragraphs that I can relate to in how when I quit the crazy partying in my late 20’s, the only people that were in my life after were the ones who were there before I started the crazy partying some 13 years prior. While I never quit drinking entirely, I quit the crazy antics/blackout stuff. I used to drink to inflate my personality/give myself an excuse to do really stupid shit or say over the top things. None of it was ever mean or offensive, quite the opposite and my goal the entire time was get laughs and entertain people, but I digress.

Me quitting the crazy behavior had nothing to do with religion whatsoever, I just realized why I was doing it and it was beginning to negatively effect my mental health. I’ve always been a spiritual person, but I generally keep that stuff to myself unless someone asks me directly about it.

Some people straight up told me it was just weird coming over my place when I wasn’t drinking, some people told me I got boring, some people no longer had the comfort of being around someone who seemed a little worse off than their own drinking/drug issues and for me, I just didn’t feel like drinking to excess anymore. That was my truth and for everyone else, that was their truth.

I took offense to it for a little while. Since it was mostly my co-workers, I ended up feeling like the new guy for quite a while. In a lot of ways, it felt like I started friendships with my co-workers over again after a few months. Had I not worked with those people regularly, I never would have seen them again. So I can certainly relate to Keith in that aspect.

Wasn’t that dude bartending for a while after they were already a well-known band? I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the people in his life were just hangers on. He said it himself in that interview, he was playing the role of the local guy who almost made good, that local celebrity thing. But what he doesn’t really account for is how much he did or didn’t reach out and continue those friendships on his part. Friendships go both ways.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
It's a huge bummer to see a band that only got better and better as they went up end this way, especially one that made such a huge impact. But if that's what they gotta do, it's what they gotta do. I don't like to psychoanalyze people I don't know, so all I can say is I hope they all end up in a better place.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
These guys whizzed past my head for nearly 20 years how does one get into them? Just go chronologically?

tian

Reaction score
These guys whizzed past my head for nearly 20 years how does one get into them? Just go chronologically?
fwiw, I never followed their music but Radical was probably my favorite album last year.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gutter Phenomenon is a great riff heavy headbanger album with that early " raw " element to it .

Radical , their most recent , is a heavy , metalcore / hardcore mix very well done , with great production and a variety of song structures .

Both are my favorites .

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I’m at the album before low teens and the thing that stuck out to me was the glass jaw/Daryl Polumbo influence in their early LPs

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah they've been at the studio a couple times - looks like no Andy too (to no one's AEW surprise).