EVH 5153 50watt Volume question.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
Hey Chaps

Im in the market for a new amplifier. A valve head with a max price of about £1000

Ive always liked the new EVH stuff but the new head is a bit to expensive for me and now the 50watt is about I thought id give of them a try. Although I had a first band rehearsal the other night for a long time and my 30 watt valve laney lc30 wasnt even in the mix, so Im thinking if the 50 watt will be loud enough.

The other guy uses a peavey 6505 with a zilla fatboy. We play mostly metal with some very clean cleans. quite fast paced.

I was thinking maybe a peavey 6505+, I tried one of them the other day and thought it was very nice. Im looking for something hi-gain and tight. Possible a Engl fireball 100 but I hear that they are quite dark and i like a bright sound.

Also do you think the evh 50 watt would be loud enough?

I would prefer something thats made in the usa or Europe.

Any help would much appreciated.

Dom

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Underworld

Reaction score
The EVH 5150 III 50 watts can make you deaf, make no mistake about it. I own one, and volume on 3,5 is well enough to be heard in a full band context with 2 guitar players and a LOUD drummer.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
If that 30 watt Laney is not being heard, you may want to talk to your other guitarist about useful volume levels. Chances are he's likely drowning everything else out if he's drowning you out with that amp. Anything over 3 on the volume of a 6505 is getting ridiculous for practice or bar gigs - i run mine around 2 usually in a 2 guitar band. Or you might wanna try a more efficient speaker or extension cab too.

But yeah 50 watts should be more than enough

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
6505+ is a good american made amp (assuming you get the head and not the 1x12 combo version that is made in China) but you wont get the amazing cleans that you'd get from teh EVH 5150 III.

I'm surprised that you're having problems being heard with a 30 watt valve amp. Maybe you need to adjust your settings? Try adding mids?

50 watt tube will make you go deaf (seriously) before you even reach half way volume. I have a 60 watt peavey 5150 combo and have never had it past 3.5 on volume. I usually have it at 2-2.5. I only had it past 3 the one time when my old band was playing a show outside without our amps being mic'd (only vocals mic'd). We had people show up and say to us that they heard my amp over a block away.

viesczy

Reaction score
My 5150 III 50 is crazily loud. If you that running hard and can't be heard, you're 3' away from the event horizon of a super mass blackhole and nothing will be heard over that cacophony.

For sheer sound pressure and going from what was that to WHAT DID YOU SAY it rivals my Laney VH100R.

Derek

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
maybe either your guitar player is playing way to loud, or you don't have enough mids in your settings (Mids make a HUGE difference in how you cut through). In my hard rock band I use a half stack with a 120 watt Egnater head and our other guitar player uses a vox AC30 2x12 and we never have trouble with the mix.

MrYakob

Reaction score
My 5150 III 50 is crazily loud. If you that running hard and can't be heard, you're 3' away from the event horizon of a super mass blackhole and nothing will be heard over that cacophony.

For sheer sound pressure and going from what was that to WHAT DID YOU SAY it rivals my Laney VH100R.

Derek

QFT

My 5150iii is loud enough to harm children down the block from my house from my basement. :hbang:

vick1000

Reaction score
Crank those mids, cut the highs to reduce the honk, cut the bass to reduce the mud. Should be plenty loud through a 4x12 with modern speakers.

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
they're still made with really high grade parts and built to high standards :shrug:

I agree. I own the EVH412 and it is a good piece of gear. It was the OP who said they wanted something made in the USA or EU.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
i play with my 120watt tube head with a guy with a 40 watt blackstar and the blacksatar is more than loud enough to keep up he doesnt even hasve to go past 4 on his master vol

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
5150 iii 50 watt it is.

It will be paired with either the matching 2x12 or a zilla fat boy which is 2x12

Both have vintage 30s