EVH greatest guitarist :p

• Thread starter bob123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
actually, I find this hilarious. You guys are all bent out of shape tosin abasi got 96... well, heres the deal. This was a VOTED poll, not some numbers drawn out of a hat.

"greatness" is not defined as your ability to go "meedly meedly meedly" on the guitar very fast.

Riddle me this batman, who made people pick up a guitar more, eddie van halen or tosin abasi? Feel free to be naive about it all you want, doesn't change the fact, this man was peer voted to be the greatest guitarist. YES YES, this year. However, I doubt the numbers will change much next year if they even do it....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
In a way, it's progress.

Most of these guitar magazines have an editorial voice (and therefore readership, which feed one another with these polls) that is deeply traditional. For the longest time, polls of this ilk would pretty much be a 3-way race between Hendrix, Clapton, and Page; with EVH sitting back- never without praise but never held in the same regard.

Hell, there are still plenty of people who insist that nothing good came out after 1976, and EVH was a paradigm shifter that took traditional rock and roll to another level and outside of a lot of comfort zones. It's kind of a big deal for him to get recognized like this... not that I agree with the determination, though.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
In a way, it's progress.

Most of these guitar magazines have an editorial voice (and therefore readership, which feed one another with these polls) that is deeply traditional. For the longest time, polls of this ilk would pretty much be a 3-way race between Hendrix, Clapton, and Page; with EVH sitting back- never without praise but never held in the same regard.

Hell, there are still plenty of people who insist that nothing good came out after 1976, and EVH was a paradigm shifter that took traditional rock and roll to another level and outside of a lot of comfort zones. It's kind of a big deal for him to get recognized like this... not that I agree with the determination, though.

So what?

It was going in that direction anyway.
Look at what the fusion cats like Weather Report, Return to Forever, Miles Davis, John McLaughlin were doing around 1970. WAAAAY ahead of the game in terms of rethinking the mechanics behind rock.

And still ahead of anything Van Halen's done.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Eh, I'm not surprised. With Guitar World, it was either going to be him, Dime, Jimi or Zakk. Those three get more coverage it seems than just about anybody, and honestly what MORE could be said/learned about Jimi or Dime? Also Wylde hasn't done anything decent since 2004(whenever Mafia came out) and even then there are those that would argue earlier. I never pick up GW anymore unless there's a compelling article/whatever. The month before with Vai/Tosin/Meshuggah was the most intersting thing they've had in years.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
But its just like if there was an SSO top 5 guitar players. It would probably be something along the lines of

1. Bulb
2. Tosin
3. Fredrik Thordendal
4. Bulb
5. Ola

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
EVH6.jpg

groovemasta

Reaction score
But its just like if there was an SSO top 5 guitar players. It would probably be something along the lines of

1. Bulb
2. Tosin
3. Fredrik Thordendal
4. Bulb
5. Ola

Exactly, the fact is is that there are 'heroes' in every niche of music and I'm sure we all know of the thousands of sub-genres within metal alone, each proclaiming the leading artists to be the best ever.

In all honestly, if you need a list to tell you who you think is better than others I don't really know what to say.

Art is something that can't be quantized into something more better than something else, maybe if they have extremely similar visions but that's even stretching it.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score

1. Bulb
2. Tosin
3. Fredrik Thordendal
4. Bulb
5. Ola

But we haven't actually held a poll. And that's kind of the point.

Why are we "ranking" art?

Demiurge

Reaction score
So what?

It was going in that direction anyway.
Look at what the fusion cats like Weather Report, Return to Forever, Miles Davis, John McLaughlin were doing around 1970. WAAAAY ahead of the game in terms of rethinking the mechanics behind rock.

And still ahead of anything Van Halen's done.

Well, no kidding- I was speaking more toward the scope of the 40-year-old blues-rock obsessed press. Are there more advanced/deserving players? Sure, but at least EVH is- despite his limitations- at least a closer semblance to a "modern" player and it was interesting to see.

But I guess shame on me for trying too hard to find a compelling angle on a "yet another guitarist poll". :wallbash:

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
(edited for tim :p)

Look at a majority of the newer players on the list. Ask yourself, how many of them picked up guitar because of EVH? Answer that question honestly, and you will start to see why EVH was voted number 1.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
just a question but how many of the complainers on this thread bout so & so obscure random fanboy of the moment guitarist was too low not on the list blah blah blah actually voted? You wanted whoever to be higher then he would have needed your votes to get higher.... that's how polls work right..... :scratch:

Eddie wins greatest guitarist ever poll. Done. Does he deserve it. Yeah he does.

See who wins next weeks Greatest Guitarist ever poll in magazine B and we can all meet again to bitch on that result....... :lol: