EVH vs Tonex, QC and Headrush captures

• Thread starter Guitarjon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Alright, here's another comparison after I had so much fun with the last one :) So this time I compare the sound of my real EVH 5150 III 50W EL34 to three captures that I made with Tonex, the Quad Cortex and the Headrush Prime. I didn't tweak any of the controls so you'll get to hear how well the platforms capture the amps without human aid.

All the captures have been uploaded to the clouds etc so you can try the direct captures for free for yourself. Hope you enjoy it!

Here's the comparison, let me know your thoughts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Random question, how do you like the Aftermaths? They sound good in your demo, but I've found other demos that demonstrate them as having a weird EQ curve.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Random question, how do you like the Aftermaths? They sound good in your demo, but I've found other demos that demonstrate them as having a weird EQ curve.
I only have it in this one guitar but I honestly think it sounds stellar! Ballsy, and chunky lows but with very clear highs, almost with a sort of single coil flavor, so sort of "spanky". Absolutely love how much attitude it has!

RiffRaff

Reaction score
Love your videos Jon. Interesting that the Headrush capture was pretty off as an "untouched" starting point. I have definitely heard them sound great with a bit of tweaking though. Taylor Danley did a really good video comparing all of these units with the stock modelling of each unit's Rectifier model. Headrush's stock Rectifier model sounded up to par with the others and in some cases better, hence why I am quite surprised to see how much it got beaten in the amp capture side of things without further human intervention.
Great work mate! 👍

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Love your videos Jon. Interesting that the Headrush capture was pretty off as an "untouched" starting point. I have definitely heard them sound great with a bit of tweaking though. Taylor Danley did a really good video comparing all of these units with the stock modelling of each unit's Rectifier model. Headrush's stock Rectifier model sounded up to par with the others and in some cases better, hence why I am quite surprised to see how much it got beaten in the amp capture side of things without further human intervention.
Great work mate! 👍

Yeah you can definitely tweak the clones to make them sound closer but unfortunately it will never be as close as Tonex for example. That's not to say you can't get some cool tones out of the Headrush, just purely talking about the accuracy of the clone tech.