Explain "Double Drop D#" on a 7-String

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am a fucking moron that doesn't know music theory. This is what I meant:

If you had a 7 String in Standard B, which you then dropped the top string to A, and then detuned the entire guitar -6 semitones from that point. THAT is what Invent Animate and a lot of other bands view as Drop D#. Northlane use a similar tuning in certain songs, although they dorp the 6th string as well so it's basically a dropped 6 string in Drop G# with a low D#

Yes, I just made an account to address this
Hey bro. Dig your music. 👊

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I am a fucking moron that doesn't know music theory. This is what I meant:

If you had a 7 String in Standard B, which you then dropped the top string to A, and then detuned the entire guitar -6 semitones from that point. THAT is what Invent Animate and a lot of other bands view as Drop D#. Northlane use a similar tuning in certain songs, although they dorp the 6th string as well so it's basically a dropped 6 string in Drop G# with a low D#

Yes, I just made an account to address this
Haha! Thanks Keyan! Hope you tour the states. Your EP is epic.

keyanhoushmand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha! Thanks Keyan! Hope you tour the states. Your EP is epic.
Thanks for the kind words dude! I along with every other Australian musician would love to tour the states one day. Maybe when it doesn't cost a minimum of $50,000AUD to do it, I'll pop over lmao

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Plus

Reaction score
If you had a 7 String in Standard B, which you then dropped the top string to A, and then detuned the entire guitar -6 semitones from that point. THAT is what Invent Animate and a lot of other bands view as Drop D#.

Yes that's Drop D#. I did not rewatch the video but the author of the topic is talking about Double Drop D#.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Yes that's Drop D#. I did not rewatch the video but the author of the topic is talking about Double Drop D#.
Actually I was originally asking about whatever tuning Invent Animate uses. In that video Keyan and Keaton both mention "double drop D#" (which is the only reason I used the term) but Keyan just clarified he's actually talking about Drop D#.

So original intent of this thread has been answered for me. Thanks Keyan!

Doc Plus

Reaction score
To continue about what I consider "wrong names" for tunings :lol:, I read that Northlane says their tuning is Open D# when it's D# G# D# G# C# f a#.
Call me old fashion but Open D# = only these 3 notes: D# A# and G.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
To continue about what I consider "wrong names" for tunings :lol:, I read that Northlane says their tuning is Open D# when it's D# G# D# G# C# f a#.
Call me old fashion but Open D# = only these 3 notes: D# A# and G.
in our band we have a song tuned CGCFGC but we still refer to it as "DADGAD" because he wrote it in DADGAD but we tune a step down

and it's much easier to say dad gad than it is to say sir guck for guck

Reaction score
I swear when Invent Animate is in town I'm going to ask Keaton what each string is tuned to lol.
This is the way...
Yeah, there’s zero consistency to what people mean when they say double drop. And now I’m more confused than before I opened this thread. :lol:
This is the way...

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
As long as we can all agree "double drop" is the stupidest possible name for this.

For the tuning it actually is, yes it's a stupid name, but the double drop D I learned when I was learning made sense. Drop D, you drop the low E to a D, double drop D, you drop both Es to a D. When it comes to weird tunings like that, Black Label Society has a song thats a half step down, but the E is tuned down to another G#, just call it Zakk Wylde tuning, fun tuning, but if you're gonna do some weird shit, come up with your own name for it, that's half the fun of doing weird shit.

Doc Plus

Reaction score
In another genre, there is the Placebo tuning, tuning used by the band Placebo (mainly in their first albums): F A# D# G# C C.
Basically half step up and no high F but a second C4.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
When a phrase takes on 2 or more opposing meanings, the phrase becomes functionally meaningless.

This is coming from a guy who grew up when "bad" meant "good," but also meant regular bad.

Double drop D, for a bazillion years, meant DADGBD, drop tuning the highest and lowest strings. Nowadays, no one, even pro guitarists, know what anything means, so it means whatever you want it to mean, and therefore means nothing.

I auditioned for a band a few years ago, who played in "standard." What they forgot to tell me was that they used A=415.3 Hz live and A=440 Hz for recording their demo. Niice.

penguin_316

Reaction score
Doc Plus said it correctly, for example double drop E for an 8 string is EAEADGBE.

The tuning they use is just drop E for a 7 string, then you tune down half a step. He was just saying double drop because it’s in the base octave, although it’s really not the correct standard nomenclature. Also, no sure why they are using sharps instead of flats here since thinking about it as a half step below drop E is a simple concept.

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So to get the old definition, "double drop" usually meant dropping the low and the high strings, so previously on 6-strings it was Drop D with the high E also dropped down to D, therefore DADGBD would be Double Drop D.

This. DADGBD is the correct definition of double drop D and the tuning has been used for more than 50 years. Some Neil Young and Led Zeppelin songs from the 1970s are tuned like that. If a djent wanker uses the term to describe another tuning than DADGBD he is using it incorrectly.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This would be double-dropped Nashville tuning? "Don't Djent That in a Small Town."

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If you don't know what diving double elbow drop tuning is don't even bother naming three albums.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Just to make it more confusing, I tune my 9 string to "double drop A" because both the 9th and 8th strings are tuned down to match the A and E of the "seven-string" drop A of the upper strings. So it's drop A, twice. Double Drop A

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My immediate thought on reading this thread title: double drop D# would be that the two lowest strings are tuned to D#, but an octave apart for droning effect (hence having LITERALLY DOUBLE drop D#)
Thinking more on it, next I would assume it's that both the lowest strings are tuned for drop, so you'd have Db and Gb below that (since Ab would be a standard fifth interval)

Never once would I have thought it was what the actual guitarist who used it described