Extinct/Defunct/Rare Guitars?

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
I really liked the Ibanez VBT700. I saw a really nice one on ebay last month but missed the end of the auction.

Attachments

• vbt.jpg
    vbt.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 38

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
I searched long and hard for an Ibanez SZ4020FM in good shape. I finally tracked one down and it had a very small paint chip out of the back of the neck which exposed the wood but didn't have any damage. I'm neurotic as .... so I ended up pushing on it with my thumb and made it much larger. I also didn't like the black paint on the back of the body and neck, so I'm currently in the process of refinishing. Here's a picture of how she looked when I received it a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMGP5189 copy.jpg
    IMGP5189 copy.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 35

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Back on the very rare kick, I don't know if more than one of these exist:

Emerald Steve Vai Signature Ultra
Emerald_Ultra_Guitar-2.jpg

There's 102 of these now, including Steve's original, a production run of 100 and one that Emerald kept. A friend owns one that I got to play, and it was pretty nice, but heavy and only to be played standing.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Nice, I have one as well. But unfortunately the intonation and action past the 12th fret is messed up.

Gonna need some work but I do like the way it sounds and looks.

the problem in mine was the angle of the neck was pretty bad so I had high action towards the higher frets. Which mess up my slaping technique when I changed from my SR 4 strings with a reaaaaally low action.

Funny I spend many many many years like that like "meh" only last year I decided to take it to a luthier and get the neck shim (is that the right way to spell it?) in order to fix the neck angle as the trussrod was fine and the bride sadles were at the lowest. So he fix that, fix intonation, grounded up the bass as it was making noises and fix one of the dirty pots, rise the pickup and...... WOW what a change why I didnt do it before?

I like the sound?, I did Im tired of it now. The piezzo sadles arent the sound I like but they make a huge difference for the highs when playing loud with a band or on stage. Just give bit more EQ and bam! the bass cuts trough everything lol

But now I want a more traditional Jazz/humbucker growl kinda sound I cant reproduce with this bass.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I tried out a Fernandes Ravelle once at GC.

1_35.jpg

It had a sustainer built in and would go forever. I just didn't dig the odd shape.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I had a Fernandes Native X back in the day that was a great sounding and playing guitar for the price...I regret the hell out of selling that one. :noplease:

cut2jcdcldkroju9vpzv.jpg

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Washburn surely had some great looking guitars back in the days :(
I also really like carved tops, so...
I wish they come back to some designs.
The Solar is a great step in the right direction though.

dreamstream

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok Here's a rare beast. Three of the four created are shown here. The single pickup "Pfazer Performer", number 3, the first "custom" 2 pickup Pfazer being played by Lord Byron of Lucid Dementia, my original prototype being played by Johnnie Lee at a concert in Houston, and number 1 "Pfazer Standard", owned by a private collector in Arizona. Another is owned by Alex Woodward, below at the Austin NAMM show where they were introduced.
alex_alec_dguitars.jpg

In the photo above, all three 'preproduction' sample Pfazers are visible, young player Alex with his "Dan'l Pfazer Standard". One of three "Dan'l Saturn" basses created is also visible in the photo. The "Saturn Bass" was flagged by one music reviewer as one of the top ten products at the massive music industry trade show. After five years of planning and bootstrap investment, the innovative lightweight modern guitar designs and the company launch seemed very promising.

The first "custom" Pfazer model, seen with Lord Byron with it's brazilian rosewood pickguard and signed on the headstock, is currently owned by a gentleman in the New York area and is the only one known to be available (at a blue chip price).

As each was created as a preproduction sample of the models in each line (Pfazer, Saturns, and XCaliber) that were to be offered, each is unique in specifications, slightly. So those few instruments were all that were ever made when the investors shut the fledgling guitar company down. The reason... we landed national distribution offers at NAMM where the instruments were introduced in 2007-8, and the investors didn't wish to 'give away' samples of each model to the distributors on both coasts. I was the designer and builder of these instruments. Today I am more known for the hundreds of murals across the state of Texas and my award winning artworks. So these "Dan'l Pfazer" guitars are pretty rare and as about extinct as Albino Pandas.

performer.jpg
lucid_dementia1.jpg
johnnie-lee pfazer.jpg
pfazer1.jpg

mastapimp

Reaction score
Holy shit, that's hot! I didn't even know that was a thing!
I think that's the Wes Hauch signature. If I recall correctly, they released a batch of these and he jumped ship to Ibanez a week or two later and they all went into clearance sale and into the "vault" on their website.

Reet

Reaction score
Mastapimp is 100% correct! It was such a sick guitar. I sold it only because it had neck dive and it was pretty heavy. Other than that it played great and sounded great also.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not rare compared to most on here but aren't these getting hard to find? I had and sold it last year.
View attachment 101981

They were hard to find when they were released. :lol: Now they're unobtainium.

Holy shit, that's hot! I didn't even know that was a thing!

Yep, when people brought up Wes Hauch when talking about the Aaron Marshall sig, this is why. Designed a guitar with Schecter. Went through a pretty extensive prototyping phase. Guitar finally released for a week, and then he jumped ship and has been with Ibanez ever since.

Still pissed we never got the surf green one.

ELZGTyT.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Reposting because whoops imgur, but yeah this DEFINITELY counts as an exinct/rare guitar. The above-mentioned Schecter Wes Hauch prototype in surfgreen.

ELZGTyT.jpg