F# String gauge

tompedo

Reaction score
I want to tune my 7 (low to high) F# B E A D G B for some serious low end
What gauge string should I use on my RG7620 for the F#
And would it be and different for a fixed bridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
First off, how much tension do you like? (Ie. what guage at which tuning.)

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
TBH I think an F# is going to sound like shit on a 25.5" no matter what gauge string you use. I don't even think they sound very good on the 27" RG 8s. 28.5" is the minimum I'd go for an F#.

All that being said, a .080 at bare minimum. On a 25.5" neck, a .080 is already only at 20 some pounds of tension at A. On F# I'm guessing it'd be 13-14?

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a set of set of strings with a low F# using a .080" string.

len 25.5"

B3 .012" PL == 13.11#
G3 .016" PL == 14.68#
D3 .024" NW == 15.77#
A2 .032" NW == 15.77#
E2 .044" NW == 16.1#
B1 .059" NW == 16.48#
F1# .080" NW == 16.57#

It looks kinda wimpy to me tension wise. But I would never tune this low on a 25.5" scale instrument for the reasons stated earlier.

D

Desecrated

Here's a set of set of strings with a low F# using a .080" string.

len 25.5"

B3 .012" PL == 13.11#
G3 .016" PL == 14.68#
D3 .024" NW == 15.77#
A2 .032" NW == 15.77#
E2 .044" NW == 16.1#
B1 .059" NW == 16.48#
F1# .080" NW == 16.57#

It looks kinda wimpy to me tension wise. But I would never tune this low on a 25.5" scale instrument for the reasons stated earlier.

Yeah most people I've talked to like something like 17-18# at least, I myself wants at least 21 but I'm a bit on the thicker side.

D

Desecrated

But there seems to be some people that can tune that low with thin strings, so let them do that.And for us that like thicker strings, I'm sure we can figure out some other tuning instead. Maybe tuning it to G# standard or something like that would be a good trade off.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. You can use any strings you want. I was just offering some presonal opinion. :D

D

Desecrated

Exactly. You can use any strings you want. I was just offering some presonal opinion. :D

/whispering; Don't tell this to anybody, but a lot of people on this page don't know what personal opinion and preference means so you kinda have to sugarcoat every statement so you don't piss off everybody.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
/whispering; Don't tell this to anybody, but a lot of people on this page don't know what personal opinion and preference means so you kinda have to sugarcoat every statement so you don't piss off everybody.

Are you trying to say the internets can get hostile? :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Hay gaiz stahp fiteing! Intarwebz is naht foar bad thingz!
:ugh: Yeah I dunno. Don't mind me :)

A .080" shouldn't really be necessary, and that thickness might sound like crap anyway depending on your gear. Maybe try something like a 70-74, and go from there if you don't feel there's enough tension.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
16.5# actually isn't that bad at all tension-wise, but the thing you have to remember is that the lower you go, the more you need to compensate with tension for clarity. Fatter strings are generally counter-productive in that, because the thicker the string, the rounder the tone, which is not exactly clarity's friend. That's why I want a 27"-25" multi-scale 7. That way I don't need to use a .066 for my A#. At 27" a .060 would probably work.

D

Desecrated

I think we all can agree that a fanned fret would be the best (if not the only sane) solution for a 8-string. But since we now have a 25.5 8-string available for a descent price I think we have to find a way to get it working.

AND/or as I said earlier, I'm really thinking about getting the 8-string ltd, send it down to Roter Custom and let them build a new 28.625" scale neck. That way would still be cheaper then the rg2228 for me.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I think we all can agree that a fanned fret would be the best (if not the only sane) solution for a 8-string. But since we now have a 25.5 8-string available for a descent price I think we have to find a way to get it working.

AND/or as I said earlier, I'm really thinking about getting the 8-string ltd, send it down to Roter Custom and let them build a new 28.625" scale neck. That way would still be cheaper then the rg2228 for me.

But I'm saying I'd like a fanned 7. That'd be awesome.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. It's so much more logical.

FTR, I've used a .068 Elixir (very bright and snappy) tuned to F on a 25.5" scale, and it worked perfectly fine. Granted, I think at least a 27" would be OPTIMAL, but it's not like you can't get good results with the type of setup I describe.

That said, I tune to A now, using the same gauge/brand, and also drop it to G. Works great in all cases.

D

Desecrated

I also want fanned frets on a 7-string, just a little fan would be nice, 26.5 to 28.625 would be great for me.

exafro

Reaction score
I tried a .70 on my 26.5" scale Schecter and to me it was fine. With a shorter scale, or if you prefer a tighter feel I'd go heavier, somewhere in the .74-.80 range. What scale length is your guitar and what gauges do you normally use?

Lethe

Reaction score
I tried it on 27 inches. With an Elixir .68 it's close to playable, but it's very flabby compared to what I like. I then switched to .80, which was a great improvement. I don't necessarily agree on the clarity issue, .80s don't muddy up things as long as you keep your amp settings in check. Besides, the increased tension allows for "snappier" playing, which in my case improves overall sound and tightness. If I don't have to worry about knocking the string out of tune, I can play alot better.

Still, I didn't like going that low even with an .80, so I went back up to drop A. Yes, I use an .80 on 27" for drop A - and it feels and sounds just fine to me.

Your mileage may vary.