Fav Boosts/OD's?

• Thread starter swollseyba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Buxom Boost: It's just a clean boost with the EQ off. Just a Tight and Level knob. Can leave it on your clean channel and it's like a pushed bright switch.

MXR M77: For mean SD1 toanz. Great with my Origin with that gain up a little.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to use TSE808 v2 a lot, now I use whatever sounds close to 808 type of thing in Neural SLO or Archetype: Nolly. But you can also replicate that sort of thing by using EQ in front of an amp sim - throw a high pass (not very steep) as high as 700hz and then boost output
Oh cool, I use the TSE808 as well. I figured that most here would probably just be reaching for remakes of pedals out in the real world that many in the thread already have mentioned.

I don't have Neural's SLO, nor have I trialed it yet but I do have Nolly which I really like. Thanks for the EQ tip too by the way.

Requiem

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Precision Drive. Its like a tube screamer with more volume and you can cut the bass and boost the treble independently, very useful for a modern ERG sound

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
I am shocked nobody has mentioned the Seymour Duncan 805. Literally one of the best ODs I’ve tried that can be set to barely affect the “core” tone yet tighten it up at the same time. It can also be set to have the typical 808 mid hump or have the low end cut and high end boost of the modern boosts. Definitely a strong contender and very affordable secondhand. Got mine used in mint condition for 100 shipped with box and papers

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I am shocked nobody has mentioned the Seymour Duncan 805. Literally one of the best ODs I’ve tried that can be set to barely affect the “core” tone yet tighten it up at the same time. It can also be set to have the typical 808 mid hump or have the low end cut and high end boost of the modern boosts. Definitely a strong contender and very affordable secondhand. Got mine used in mint condition for 100 shipped with box and papers

Last time someone got one of those around here he said it made his tone sound like "The Beach Boys". Guess this is more of a Precision Drive playing field :lol:

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
For me my top 2 are the Maxon 808 and the Original 2 button Suhr Koko boost.

I use the Maxon as the standard to compare to.when I test another OD.

The koko boost is killer, just has a really nice growl to it and works with pretty much any amp ive used it with.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I have an AnalogMan modded SD-1, no idea what mod since I got it used, but I've easily used that the most. Should try a stock one someday to test the difference.

Picked up the MXR M77 recently which is insanely good, especially the 100hz boost. Might be my new favorite except that I absolutely hate the 9v input location.
The EHX Crayon is also really fun to push the amp super hard since the bass can be brought back in. Also sounds great into a clean amp for creamy dirty blues.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I’m using the earthquakes devices Plumes. It has mode that adds compression that I really like. Tightens things just slightly while added a nice full boost.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
protone tc pre rip
tc line driver was great when i owned one
ho-tone fat buffer
and the boss sd-1, it's the tits

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
After having the KSR Ceres, I reeeeaally want a KSR Eros and I don't even use boosts normally. Just because they look super cool in that galaxy black finish with leds and shit :lol:

nightlight

Reaction score
I have a 90s Ibanez tube screamer that I had modded for true bypass. It's magical. Like everyone, I crank the volume, and adjust tone to taste, while the distortion is all the way down.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I’ve been messing with the Highwind Direwolf I recently scored. It’s an absolute monster and seems to take to most VST’s and amps very well.

I owned an Airis Portal Drive (savage, but Rick and morty edition) and that was almost too much in front of my EVH 5153 Stealth 6L6 100.

swollseyba

Reaction score
I’ve been messing with the Highwind Direwolf I recently scored. It’s an absolute monster and seems to take to most VST’s and amps very well.

I owned an Airis Portal Drive (savage, but Rick and morty edition) and that was almost too much in front of my EVH 5153 Stealth 6L6 100.

I could not jive with my Direwolf. It did something weird to the mids that I could not seem to dial out.

I share your sentiment with the Airis stuff that I have tried.