Favorite Compressor Pedal 2024

• Thread starter USMarine75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
For me, Orange Squeezer variants are number 1. My favourite comp is and always will be the Analogman Juicer. It's very much a character comp and if you don't like the thing it does there's not a lot to adjust.

Limetone Focus is a magic box of tone that I recommend very highly.

And the Origin Cali76 is also incredibly good. I can't imagine the UA pedal being better than that because, well, UA pedals seem to get really lukewarm reviews.

I'm currently coveting an Effectrode LA-1A, which is exactly what it sounds like in a pedal with 3 tubes. I've heard from Sof at Expresso FX that it is actually somehow worth the money.
The orange squeezer is a cool sound that I forgot to mention in my first response. It’s very squished and very colored, but when it works it’s really cool. I have it in an Analogman Bi-Comprossor and can vouch for Analogman; I’ve never played a bad Analogman pedal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I have fond memories of compressors. My first pedal was a danelectro surf and turf. It was always on through my frontman 15. It disappeared in college and I never replaced it. At the time all of my modelers had compressor options.
I’ve found myself recently missing compression. Anyone have experience with the allpedal galactaverse?

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The DarkGlass Hyperluminal comp can be used on gtr too.

Of course, it is perfectly great for bass. Although I stopped using it for bass since the DarkGlass Microtubes amps have a comp circuit based on the Super Symmetry already onboard.

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like nobody knows about the Boss CP-1X. My go-to comp, and a fantastic pedal that gets overshadowed by the glamour of the "boutique" stuff.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Seems like nobody knows about the Boss CP-1X. My go-to comp, and a fantastic pedal that gets overshadowed by the glamour of the "boutique" stuff.

If the bass version BC1X is of any comparison (which is amazing and completely caught me off guard), then I could imagine the CP1X is also fantastic. The Boss X pedal line are awesome pedals that a ton of people slept on.

Stiman

Reaction score

It's tough, cause there are so many to choose from. I was definitely considering the CP-1X with the MXR Studio Comp. Both have an LED strip which I personally enjoy. Unfortunately, they didn't have one at the store to compare, and I didn't want to buy it without trying.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole earlier and the UAFX 1176 sounded good to me but the dual comp mode was kind of disappointing as I don't think I'd ever use that and the sustain seems really touchy and overloads easily. Kinda curious about the Strymon Compadre now - apparently it's all analog with midi control and presets, which sounds pretty awesome. The SA Atlas also seems intriguing and isn't terribly priced. No idea what I'd use one for on distorted tones still, but cleans would be useful if nothing else but sustain.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The DarkGlass Hyperluminal comp can be used on gtr too.

Of course, it is perfectly great for bass. Although I stopped using it for bass since the DarkGlass Microtubes amps have a comp circuit based on the Super Symmetry already onboard.

I was think about that one for guitar, I'd think it would excel there too.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are compressors the key to fix tapping sounding rather quiet? In leads where do you put your compressors? In the front or loop?

dhgrind

Reaction score
Cali 76 bass - works for low tuned guitars and bass.

I sold mine when I got a darkglass head w a comp but it’s just not nearly as musical.

I’ll be buying one again.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like the Keeley Compressor Pro. Has all the controls a comp should have: attack, release, threshold, ratio, and gain, plus a hard-/soft-knee switch and gain reduction LEDs.
I got it for bass and it's great for that, but I also use it all the time for clean guitar and high gain solos. Comps are pretty redundant with distorted rhythm stuff, since the gain already compresses the signal, the comp tends to just make the low end boxy or muddy.
But I have a Walrus Mira arriving today, open-box for $99. It's got all the same controls plus a blend and a sidechain HPF switch, so I think it'll be more ideal for guitar. And it's optical. I had a cheap San June optical comp with all the same controls and I loved it, really smooth response that you could feel, but it made a constant high-pitched whine that made it unusable. And I haven't seen anything similar for under $250 until the Mira went on closeout pricing because it's discontinued already. It's got everything a comp should have, it's surprising that there wasn't a demand for it. I guess that many people just want to crank a 'sustain' knob without knowing what it's even doing or how to use an actual compressor.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are compressors the key to fix tapping sounding rather quiet? In leads where do you put your compressors? In the front or loop?
Comp goes in front, before boosts/overdrives.
I run a second comp last in the loop for clean tones, because the high B & E are always clipping before the other strings, so the comp there helps to maximize recording levels without clipping.
But distortion compresses the signal so you don't need one after it, just before if you're trying to increase sustain and make quiet sounds, like tapping, closer to the level of everything else.