Favorite guitar finish?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

what is your favorite finish on a guitar / bass?

• Total voters

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this in here.

Am I the only one who despises relic'd guitars? To me, the worn look on a guitar is like a badge to be earned. A real vintage guitar with that kind of ware is appealing because it has stories to tell, know what I mean? Faking it like that just takes away all the mojo that makes beat up guitars so great.

I sound like some old codger on a fender forum :lol: but whatever.

This convo might hijack the thread...

Ultimately, I don't see relicing as materially different than buying and then playing a used guitar that's naturally been beaten up. Even if the wear on a used guitar is "real," if you yourself didn't put it there, what's the difference from buying a guitar that a factory reliced?

I agree that there's something appealing about seeing someone playing a guitar that they've carried with them through hell and back. But if they sell that guitar to you: should you refinish it? If you don't and play it, are you a poser now? Is that all that much different from a factory relic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously, it's a personal preference, but the thing with a guitar that had been beat to hell is that, despite getting beat to hell, the guitar was high enough quality to hang onto it. Also, it was obviously worth it for someone to take it through hell.

On the flip side of that, a guitar that is relic'd was deemed worth enough to fake the same look.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I still chalk it up to it being a different aesthetic that some people just like the look of. Why make "vintage white" guitars when you can just buy a regular white one and let it cream up over time?

Some people like pictures of anime chicks on their guitars, some people like natural wood. Some people like dyed flame maple, some people like solid colors. It's just a different look. I'm gonna quit bringing it up though, as it's getting a smidge off topic.

Nobody answered my question on which of the poll responses would encompass a translucent single color on a figured top so I'm gonna just go with my close second favorite of graphic finish. There aren't many that are done right, but when they are they're super cool.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Painted. I like to go for solid finishes most of the time, especially if it's candy or sparkly. :agreed:

18063_PRS_Used_McCarty_Electric_Blue_118556_a.jpg

I usually only like burst/trans finishes when Gibson or PRS does them.

gibson-1958-les-paul-plain-top-reissue-vos-vos-faded-tobacco-432784.jpg

SC245JULY26.jpg

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I. Went with other because I think it depends on the wood being used. It also really depends on the design of the guitar. Solid yellow with black hardware? No thank you. Solid black with chrome hardware? Yes please!
For flame maple tops I like bursts. For solid body mahogany, swamp ash, walnut, or koa I really like transparent colors, but not burst. With Aldrer and Maple I prefer solid colors. For telecaster and strat style guitars, I prefer solid colors. So, I hope I didn't over complicated e things, but I really think the context of the overall design really affects what color choices I prefer!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Most of my guitars are painted bc most are production models but much like my ladies I prefer them natural... :D

oracles

Reaction score
I voted "other" purely because my love of swirls trumps all else.

IMG_0037_zpsfc0b6189.jpg

IMG_0226_zps398ef0d6.jpg

fantasyl

Reaction score
natural woods for me, I love exotic woods with highly figured birdseye maple neck and fretboard, unfortunately I have yet to find one that will come home with me :lol:

update: swirl is very 2nd close, with the right vibrant colors is just amazing....I remember staying in front of a Steve DNA anniversary swirl guitar for about 10 minutes....couldn't stop staring her hypnotic colors!

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

Am I the only one who despises relic'd guitars? To me, the worn look on a guitar is like a badge to be earned. A real vintage guitar with that kind of ware is appealing because it has stories to tell, know what I mean? Faking it like that just takes away all the mojo that makes beat up guitars so great.

I sound like some old codger on a fender forum :lol: but whatever.

I totally agree. It's like buying jeans with holes cut in them already. Only worse. But different strokes, I guess.

On topic, nothing usually grabs my attention like a natural or stained finish. Like those fanned fret Ibbies.:agreed: I can't help but keep looking at the pic of the bass in the newest Sweetwater catalog.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Unfortunately relicing takes a lot of time and effort to do properly, so it's not surprising that it's expensive.

What do I pick if I just like solid (non-burst) translucent finishes? I love quilts/flamed/figured tops with a single color. Would it just be considered painted?

trans finish would be considered "natural" as it shows the wood grain...if it is a combination with a burst, then it would go under "burst" :yesway:

does burst mean like a see-through finish where you can see the figure or grain of the wood through the paint?

like the example i showed in post #4 shows both version. the first being trans w/multi colors...the second being solid with a black edge. the "burst" simple means blending of 2 or more colors.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
Other.

I like non-burst-see-through finishes like the KM-7 (white version and backside), the vampyre red Loomis or the LTD ZH-7.

Aris_T

Reaction score
I went with bursts (even though I own none), but I really love solid colors too (pearl/metallic included there).

:agreed: :yesway:

Heroooh

Deer Napkin
Reaction score
Love burst especially when blue and white stains are involved:) White paint does it also for me, love for white guitars that have been beaten up<33

MBMoreno

Reaction score
Oiled wood, with a bit of staining in some cases.
Easy to maintain (even if it requires a little more care), great to the touch, and the best I've tried to let the wood resonate naturally

That said, I do like me some sparkle