Favorite guitar finish?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

what is your favorite finish on a guitar / bass?

• Total voters

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
Voted burst, but yeah translucent over figured woods

...not really 'natural' woods 'cause I like me some color :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sonicwarrior

Reaction score
My favs are quilted maple, flamed maple or swirl finishes. Voted for painted colors as they are all painted.

Funnily though I only have one guitar with flamed maple. The others are either one colored (one black, two white), have a special finish (1), a burst (an Ovation) or a two colored finish.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
the thing with natural woods, if it's not expensive it probably looks like junk

Shewter

Tone Zombie
Reaction score
3336_5_7_10_buck_8(2).jpg
Dang near any guitar with buckeye burl makes me feel the better of my two emotions. Happy.

MaxSwagger

Reaction score
I'm going paint, just something about that road flare red rg550 I can't live without

thedonal

Reaction score
Really, I'm a sucker for either flamed or quilted maple. Either cherry/vintage sunburst or blue. Though I don't have any guitars with this finish! In fact, most of my electrics are solid paint. Black, royal blue or pewter burst.

Asides from a cherry burst les Paul, I dream of a quilted maple PRS with a blue burst- aquamarine or turquoise. That would be heaven. :)

Oh for the cash... ��

Michael_Ten

blergh yas
Reaction score
Any finish is fine, so long as it works with the hardware, body style, and electronics. I'm against all graphics, unless it's a one-off, and I am VEHEMENTLY against graphic inlay...

Unless it's that Cannibal Corpse Dean with the dead fetus inlay. That .... is hilarious.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Other - French polished shell lac natural wood with a light BriWax on top of the french polish shell lac.
If I use any "colors", I use water based dye with the same as above.
Prep is almost everything... the colors are easy. The french polish is easy too but very labor and time consuming to do well.

How to Create a Sunburst Finish - Fine Woodworking Video

Braveheart

Reaction score
Burst. It's perfectly suited to a guitar. You don't see trucks painted like that. You wouldn't "burst" your Corvette. But when I see a guitar with a burst it just seems right.