FBD: LTD B-205SM

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Picked up my first bass. Saw a few of these on the wall at GC a few years ago and loved the look. Then some dude was playing one and I was inspired by his playing. I didn't pull the trigger at that time but it stayed in the back of my mind and I'd occasionally look for them used locally. I had no luck until now. When this popped up I had to go for it.

Quick question from a total noob: if I want to play some stuff that's originally on 4-string in drop D, should I just tune the higher strings to DADG and leave the low string at B?

Side note: I'm guessing it'll eventually be in Drop A.

IMG_3361.jpeg

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
Quick question from a total noob: if I want to play some stuff that's originally on 4-string in drop D, should I just tune the higher strings to DADG and leave the low string at B?
That's probably the easiest way, although you might be able to keep it in standard tuning and hit the low D on the B string. I did this for years in a band with guitars in D standard.

Looks like a nice bass though, enjoy!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats, those are great looking and playing basses! I love their spalted tops.

I'd just tune the E down. You'll get used to playing that way and having the extra low notes below it whether you tune the 5th string to B or A.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
nice!

yes, I will echo the others here; tune your 4th string to D so you have the '4 string in drop D' vibe. It's easy to go from E to Drop D and then from B to drop A on the 5th string.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My first bass was a 5 string and I tuned it so the 4 high strings matched my 6-string guitars (CGCF) and the bottom string matched my 7 string guitars (Ab). Definitely not ideal, but I was able to record some stuff. It's better to just get a 2nd bass with only 4 strings, once you've decided you like playing bass.

You could also do like Connor Kaminski and tune it to match your 6es with an extra high string (I think CGCFB in his case).

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
My first bass was a 5 string and I tuned it so the 4 high strings matched my 6-string guitars (CGCF) and the bottom string matched my 7 string guitars (Ab). Definitely not ideal, but I was able to record some stuff. It's better to just get a 2nd bass with only 4 strings, once you've decided you like playing bass.

You could also do like Connor Kaminski and tune it to match your 6es with an extra high string (I think CGCFB in his case).
That's not a bad idea. And I dig Connor Kaminski's stuff.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Nice. These have always been good basses, especially for the price.

You could always do what "real bass players" do and leave it in Standard B, thusly having to transcribe what youre playing into standard. Its more difficult, but definitely gives you some added street cred.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I really like these, congrats.

I'm really looking to getting into bass myself, and someone local is selling a six string version of this, but idk if I want a 6 string or not. I kinda wanna stick with 5 as most 6 string necks I've put hands on tend to be a bit too chonky for me.

Got an amp and cab in mind yet? I'm pretty sure I want a Darkglass preamp, probably the B7K Ultra, as these look really neat and sound great in demos, lots of tonal options too. Then find a loud ass solid state power amp and a cab. Local shop has an Ampeg 6x10 I'm eyeballing.

I've been taking it slow as I don't really know much about bass gear and wanna make sure I get a decent idea what all I want. I should start a thread and get some input. 🤔

Congrats again, dude.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score

I'm really looking to getting into bass myself, and someone local is selling a six string version of this, but idk if I want a 6 string or not. I kinda wanna stick with 5 as most 6 string necks I've put hands on tend to be a bit too chonky for me.

Got an amp and cab in mind yet? I'm pretty sure I want a Darkglass preamp, probably the B7K Ultra, as these look really neat and sound great in demos, lots of tonal options too. Then find a loud ass solid state power amp and a cab. Local shop has an Ampeg 6x10 I'm eyeballing.

I've been taking it slow as I don't really know much about bass gear and wanna make sure I get a decent idea what all I want. I should start a thread and get some input. 🤔

Congrats again, dude.
Thanks man! I might not have bought it if I was facing the prospect of having to buy an amp too lol. My plan is to use the FM9 and my EV "FRFR" monitors.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score

Congrats again, dude.
The fun thing about bass setups is that there is a huge spectrum of pedals and preamps you can put on a small board and then use any poweramp+cab or PA that is available to get ballpark same tone (might need some adjustment of course).
Personally, I even ditched the Darkglass preamp I had (Alpha-Omegal Ultra) and now use only a tuner, compressor, 2 different drive pedals and a noise-gate that I usually plug into the effects-return of a small, light but powerful class-D amp (GK MB500) and a cab. At home I just use my old POD X3 Live for cab-simulation and play via earphones. Works perfectly well, too.