Fender 2001 Standard Jazz Bass V and Pickups ??

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
Last year I got a 2001 standard jazz bass v. This is my favorite playing bass I have ever held and after ~13 months, I have realized that even in making some pretty heavy stuff I prefer playing the jazz bass by a mile to my Jackson (24 frets, 35", soapbars with active/passive/both coils/single coil switching and a 3 band eq - I almost always prefer the most modern specs but still love my jazz bass more) and dealing with the scale is no problem with a 145. I am going to college in the fall (living in dorms for at least the first two years) and only want to bring one bass, as guitar is a much higher priority and I have very limited storage options. Hence why I need great all-around pickups in my favorite bass.

The stock pickups work in a mix well with what number of modeler and plugin effects, eqs, compressors, etc I use, but they feel kind of dead through any distortion while playing on their own (in a reasonable setting that isn't laboriously tweaking everything I own be it digital or physical, so in most scenarios I am "out"), especially the 5th string. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily looking for a different type of pickup, I still like singles/jazz basses through distortion even for the heaviest of music, I just specifically don't like these stock Fender pickups especially on the 5th string.

I am not sure what exactly the spacing and dimensions are as this is my first foray into looking at bass pickups and especially anything "older", I have plenty of experience in guitars and electrical work just don't know what's what in this area I guess lol. It seems like this is relatively uncommon and doesn't provide for as many options. That being said, I measured:
-Bridge:
--Pickup dimensions: 4.120 in (104.63 mm) x .720 in (18.33 mm)
--String spacing: 2.75 in (69.85 mm) between 1st and 5th strings and about .655 in (16.65 mm) from string to string
-Neck:
--Pickup dimensions: 3.990 in (101.30 mm) x .725 in (18.40 mm)
--String spacing: 2.60 in (66.05 mm) between 1st and 5th strings and about .660 in (16.80 mm) from string to string

So, do y'all have any similar experience and/or suggestions? The more metal-suited the better, but that isn't really a huge deal for me, I am mostly looking to at least get a bit more output and balance between the highest 4 and the 5th string. Again, I play some heavy stuff but still love J style pickups and am fine with the tone I have with the highest 4 strings and am looking for the *best* drop-in replacements. I much prefer passives as I don't want to do anything crazy to this bass, though I do have faith in my ability to make room under the pickguard and wire what I need to myself if active is really the way to go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score

All I can tell you is I love Nordstrands.

PerfectCandor

Reaction score

All I can tell you is I love Nordstrands.
Honestly, those Big J-Blades in warm & wooly seem like what I was looking for, and at less than most other sets I've seen too. I'll probably get them anyway, but just wondering if you have experienced the difference between the warm & wooly, and clean & clear sets? I am thinking warm and wooly sounds right especially if I play dirtier but am I wrong about that, as far as, would I want the clarity instead if I am looking for a less-fuzzy distorted sound and are the lows ample?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't experienced the difference personally, but luckily these are pretty popular pickups and there's no shortage of sound demos on youtube so hopefully you can have a listen and hear for yourself. My ears are terrible and I can rarely hear the difference between pickups that others allegedly clearly can.

PerfectCandor

Reaction score
I haven't experienced the difference personally, but luckily these are pretty popular pickups and there's no shortage of sound demos on youtube so hopefully you can have a listen and hear for yourself. My ears are terrible and I can rarely hear the difference between pickups that others allegedly clearly can.
Haven't found a demo that's as dirty as I'd like to hear the difference in, honestly... But I think my ears might be just as bad since I generally don't hear the differences others do as often, as well. I suppose that regardless of all of that, they're the same pickups with slightly different voicings and will be a huge improvement anyway so I shouldn't worry too much. Thanks a ton!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I dig my J5 too! My own mods not withstanding. The pickguard the most noticeable, combining the pickguard and the control plate, inspired by Schecter on their J4 and J5.
EMG’s, master volume, and a blend, and the truth.

Attachments

• IMG_4227.jpeg
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4226.jpeg
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

PerfectCandor

Reaction score
I dig my J5 too! My own mods not withstanding. The pickguard the most noticeable, combining the pickguard and the control plate, inspired by Schecter on their J4 and J5.
EMG’s, master volume, and a blend, and the truth.
That's pretty slick... I dig the combined pickguard especially since I am a sucker for pearloid patterns and it looks classy with the white/ivory scheme. This was also a good reminder to check if stringjoy has black 145s yet... Anyway I figured I may as well post mine too, since although the burst isn't my favorite, I am proud of my amazon purchases that led to the cosmetic upgrade and compliment the burst enough I think it's the coolest bass I own. Peep the electrical tape below the 5th string on the neck pickup with horrible silver sharpie drawn pole pieces lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0252.jpeg
    IMG_0252.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7