Fighting Game Thread

• Thread starter Choop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
I main Shirai Ryu Takeda, Sorcerer Quan, and Imposter Shinnok, Takeda's best variation is SR imo. It has the best damage potential, mobility, and the mask he wears in that variation just completes his look. My advice for not getting overwhelmed with Takeda in close quarter situations (and it's why I prefer Shirai Ryu) is to use his teleport since it can be held or canceled out of which is great when an opponent blocks one of his combos and attempts a reversal as you can cancel out of the teleport and block (which allows you to punish their attack) or hold the teleport and end up at full or mid screen distance. Takeda can be hard to use but once you know what to do with him he's alot of fun.

As for Erron I think he's fine, he only has one actual combo with a low overhead mixup, maybe you in general but I think knowing the character more will fix that.

I like the whip flurry of lasher too much :p it looks so cool. But more than being overwhelmed it's just that there are no really good punishes in close range (yay down 2 and grab). It would be cool too if his spinning flying kick thingy could be projectile invincible.

As much as I love the game, to me characters like Erron Black, no wakeup options (aside from meter armoring your way out) and the ease of performing meaty attacks are making it inferior to sf imo. I'm really surprised people are okay with Erron Black. He has a low slide and an overhead double front kick which are hard to react to (since their startups are so similar), he can go overhead low low or overhead low grab really fast, he has a low starter, he has really good damage, good range, good antiair and I could go on.

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
I like the whip flurry of lasher too much :p it looks so cool. But more than being overwhelmed it's just that there are no really good punishes in close range (yay down 2 and grab). It would be cool too if his spinning flying kick thingy could be projectile invincible.
Yeah, that's a glaring problem with Takeda he lacks quick punish combos, I'm hoping he gets a buffs to some of his combos to allow proper punishes.

As much as I love the game, to me characters like Erron Black, no wakeup options (aside from meter armoring your way out) and the ease of performing meaty attacks are making it inferior to sf imo. I'm really surprised people are okay with Erron Black. He has a low slide and an overhead double front kick which are hard to react to (since their startups are so similar), he can go overhead low low or overhead low grab really fast, he has a low starter, he has really good damage, good range, good antiair and I could go on.
Erron's pressure has holes/gaps, I'm not sure if you've watched it yet, but look up GGA Dizzy vs CR Sonicfox's (the best Erron player out there and arguably the best mkx player out there)
match at the grand finals of Combo Breaker. Whenever Sonic tried to use erron's command grab after a blocked pressure string he armored through it using Raiden's own command grab which resulted in a full punish. The game is still young and as it gets older I think players will get better at defending pressure and 50/50s.

But one thing I'm glad that hasn't really taken off is the ability to option select specials into 50/50s, which defeats the purpose of 50/50s and if more players start adopting it this game is going to become unenjoyable.

TremontiFan16

Tyler Russell
Reaction score
Thanks for the video above..
Gother Jason's slasher down pretty well.Nailed some dude online with a flawless and two 53 percentish combos.
Got jason Sl down,Takeda SR down.
Working on bigger combos for takeda,goro,subzero,raiden, and mileena if I ever feel like going through her 100 combos haha

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
Erron's pressure has holes/gaps, I'm not sure if you've watched it yet, but look up GGA Dizzy vs CR Sonicfox's (the best Erron player out there and arguably the best mkx player out there)
match at the grand finals of Combo Breaker. Whenever Sonic tried to use erron's command grab after a blocked pressure string he armored through it using Raiden's own command grab which resulted in a full punish.

Yes I saw the fight, it was hype but punishing inside a string requires, as you said, armor. Besides Raiden's grab is lighting fast, I don't know if all the characters can punish that string. What's funny is that Sonicfox slightly changed his playstyle in comparison with the ESL where he bullied his way in with overheads and lows and then threw in some command grab when the opponent was turtling. I haven't seen him doing it that much during combo breaker.

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time (like... an awful lot) in the training room with kenjutsu Kenshi only to get bodied by everbody online. Then I spent half an hour training with slasher Jason and then I lost almost no games :lol:. Kenshi in his kenjutsu variation is just one of the worst character (which is a shame considering that his moves are badass). He doesn't have any way to punish anything, there are huge gaps inbetween his strings (very few active frames) and he doesn't have a single good normal. They gave him a crappy backdash too but his game is all about spacing... So if you want salt to pour from your soul just play kenjutsu Kenshi :).

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

Street Fighter V OST is off to a very, very promising start IMO ... holy .... what a sweet tune. 11/8 time! :shred:

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
It's... weird. I like it a lot but it's really surprising and to me the pinnacle of sf music is third strike. But after hearing this one I can't wait to hear a proggy version of chun li's theme. And damn I want to preorder the game so bad to get in the beta but 60€ it's really hardcore.

mongey

Reaction score
anyone tried the venom ps3/ps4 stick

was looking to mod my 360 TE to ps3 so I can use on SFV on PS4 but finding someone to do it is a drama

seems easier just to get a new stick . wondering if these are of a similar standard to the TE sticks ?

Static

Reaction score
anyone tried the venom ps3/ps4 stick

was looking to mod my 360 TE to ps3 so I can use on SFV on PS4 but finding someone to do it is a drama

seems easier just to get a new stick . wondering if these are of a similar standard to the TE sticks ?

I think the venom sticks dont come with the sanwa buttons and JLF stick.I think the price is around $85? I would rather put in some extra dough and get a HRAP V4.

mongey

Reaction score
I think the venom sticks dont come with the sanwa buttons and JLF stick.I think the price is around $85? I would rather put in some extra dough and get a HRAP V4.

thanks for that. for some reason its like $180 here in Australia . if its kinda crap I wont bother with it

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
Just saw that on eventhubs

Sounds pretty good, it's a shame the pc beta is later this year :noplease:

mongey

Reaction score
A new addition to the most convoluted story in the history of fighting games has arrived:

:woohoo:

I really tried to get into blazblue when it came out on the 360 . just couldn't get the hang of it . was just too all over the shop . still have it should give it another try

oh and hoping to get an invite for the SF5 beta next week . what I'm seeing of the game I really like. looks like less of a focus dash cancel setup into ultra combo fest and a bit more old school

NAACP Man

Reaction score
I don't know how many people here play Killer Instinct but the Top 8 at EVO last night was bonkers! There were comebacks, new tech, runbacks, just general all around fighting game goodness. I haven't been able to find the whole top 8 on Youtube but it starts at 10:03:20 on the Twitch VOD here: Here is the VOD
Seriously this is Killer Instinct at it's best.

Static

Reaction score
Couldn't watch the KI top 8 cause it was right after the Tekken 7 top 8 and it was 7 am here and i had to sleep.I'll check the archives later.

T7 top 8 was super hype.Nobi came back from losers and reset the bracket and took it and poor Ao was devastated and broke down.Both did an awesome job!

NAACP Man

Reaction score
Couldn't watch the KI top 8 cause it was right after the Tekken 7 top 8 and it was 7 am here and i had to sleep.I'll check the archives later.

T7 top 8 was super hype.Nobi came back from losers and reset the bracket and took it and poor Ao was devastated and broke down.Both did an awesome job!

Oh yeah! I watched Tekken too and felt so bad for Ao! He seemed like he really had it under control and then he just got more and more shaken up by Nobi until it slipped away from him.