First 7-string! Need advice!

Eeedwardsson

Reaction score
I need some advice here... I´m currently choosing between three guitars and I really don´t know which one to go with.
For the moment I´ve got a Schecter Damien Elite 6 which I´m very pleased with, but interested in buying a 7-string.

Those are the guitars I´m choosing between:
1. Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Blackjack SLS C-7 - Schecter Guitar Research

2. ESP LTD ZH-7 Zack Householder Signature
The ESP Guitar Company | 2013 USA Website

3. ESP LTD SCT-607B Stephen Carpenter Signature
The ESP Guitar Company | 2013 USA Website

I will most of the time play Metal/Djent in B, Drop A and G#. Which scale should i choose?

The Schecter got an 26.5" scale, the ZH-7 got an 25.5" scale and the SCT-607B got an 27" scale.

I´ll be thankful for all the help I can get here! If you got other guitars to recommend I´ll be happy to know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emil357

Reaction score
Go for the longest scale if you're gonna downtune of course....

the SC-607b does got some criticism for it's pickup positions though..

Have you been thinking on getting a RG8 for example? You get a lot of tuning possibilities there, and you can act like it's a 7-string for the 7-string stuff :)
- Also you can play the full 8 string for the lower stuff you know.

I do own a lot of 25,5'' 7-string and I love them.. But DON'T get a 25,5'' if you are gonna downtune lower than 7-string A-standard. It'll get sloppy as heeeeell..

Eeedwardsson

Reaction score
Well, I think a 8-string will be a little to much for me... So I´ll stick with 6 and 7-string guitars.

Yeah, I saw that... And really ain´t that interested in having a pair of EMG´s, I´d rather go with the Blackouts och the D-activators!

I do though prefer the D-activators over the Blackouts because of the "tighter" sound.

So the question is if I should buy the Schecter or buy the ZH-7 and get some thicker strings? Which one has the best tone, is it a big difference?

Eeedwardsson

Reaction score
Okey! Have you played it? It´s really hard because I have only tried the Schecter...

Thanks for the fast reply!

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I seem to be finding myself saying this quite a bit recently. You have a Schecter that you like, why not just go for the Schecter with the extra string. 26.5 Scale is pretty good, especially for a half and whole step lower tunings.

For what it's worth, I love me some Schecter guitars. If they didn't have weird inlays ~100% of the time I'd have more of them.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I would have never guessed it until I played one, but the pickup placement for any of Carpenters sigs are super annoying. That's like right where I strum/pick and I just hit my pick on the pickup over and over again. I've heard that its not a problem for everyone, and that it depends on where and how you strum, but it bothered the shit out of me. It's a cool guitar but I wouldn't buy one without having played it first and deciding that the no neck pickup and instead having a middle pickup doesn't bother you.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
I never played that SC but I played his last model and it was surprisingly awesome. The neck was great. So if the this model is similar (the neck) I'd say get that. If it isn't, I think the Blackjack is really good too but it has a thicker neck.