First build (Pic Heavy)

• Thread starter St3ngah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

St3ngah

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just thought I would share on my first build!

Body Style: Icefly
Scale: 25.5"
Radius: 12"
Strings: 7
Wood: Cherry neck, Poplar body
Pickups/hardware: Unsure ATM

Basically, I have always wanted an Icefly body style guitar, and now for quite a few pennies cheaper, I get to build myself one! That, and I don't have any 7ers at the moment.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

More to come!!! :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I think thats probably my favorite rendition of the iceman to date, well done mate :yesway:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Stain it of you want, but do NOT do a brown stain. When I think Parker or Iceman I just don't think the modern shapes work with a drab brown stain.

And I really love where this project is going! Awesome body. Not a huge fan of the HS shape. It's a little amorphous. Is that the final design?

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Nice design, great mix between parker and iceman!

But there's one thing on this build I'm afraid of, it's the neck.
IMG_0395.jpg

On this picture, we clearly see a huge fissure on the neck, and also the heart of the tree, that's completely on the side of the neck... Not a good idea, imo... Heart is really subject to fissure and is very unstable. And this fissure you already got will be a problem aesthetically speaking (and probably mecanically also).

St3ngah

Reaction score
Nice design, great mix between parker and iceman!

But there's one thing on this build I'm afraid of, it's the neck.
IMG_0395.jpg

On this picture, we clearly see a huge fissure on the neck, and also the heart of the tree, that's completely on the side of the neck... Not a good idea, imo... Heart is really subject to fissure and is very unstable. And this fissure you already got will be a problem aesthetically speaking (and probably mecanically also).

I certainly see what you are talking about! Thanks for the heads up! Think if I were to do a glue/sawdust mixture to fill it, and maybe a short piece of carbon fiber rod under the truss rod at that point would help? (its only maybe 2 2 1/2 mm deep) Also, that side will be under the fretboard, so I am not too critical on the aesthetics for that side.

As far as the headstock goes, it still has some shaping left to go,
And the whole thing needs a good sanding before I get too much further.
Thanks for all the input guys!:shred:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
At first when I read icefly body I though, "Wtf is an icefly body shape? Is it a cross between a fly and an iceman? How the hell would that work?" Then I saw it and I gotta say it works fantastically. Very original design and I am very interested to see the finished product. I'm with Hollowway on not staining it dark, I don't think it will jive to well with the design, but I also don't think a swirl would be good either.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Looks kinda like an upside down fireman if you take the fireman's lower horn into consideration. I like to.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Yo, that body is fucking crazy like thing-thang wadda wadda SCCHHHOOOOOMM
Seriously though that carving is imense >:D

St3ngah

Reaction score
So, I have really been looking into some cool paintjobs for the body, and I am now leaning VERY heavy towards a "Lagoon-Burst" job. It just looks so sexy.

St3ngah

Reaction score
UPDATE!
Thought I would share my progress that I have accomplished since my last posting. I hope I don't catch too much heat for the stain I put on the wood. I went with a dark walnut stain on the neck/hs and a golden oak on the body and fretboard.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Stain looks cool, both on the body and the neck. :yesway:

Do get more clamps for future builds though.