First build. Trying to make a Electric viola da gamba.

• Thread starter vices like vipers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vices like vipers

Reaction score
:wavey:Hey every one, I've been lurking around here for about 2 years now, and I decided I might join the forum and get some input on things.

What has inspired me to build this was, Mark Woods Cobra Cello, and Togamans Guitars Guitarviol. But as I am not a rich person, I can not afford a Cobra Cello, or a Guitarviol. So I decided to make my own.

As of right now I'm in the planning and gathering stage of building my guitarcello, viol, what ever you want to call it. So far these are the specs, but I am open to suggestions.

25in scale? (I plan on tuning this in stright fifths)
headless.
8 string.
24 frets. (I would like 36, but 24 will do for now.)
body, mahogany.
neck, alder.
fingerboard, Rose wood.
Top, undecided.

This is the mahogany I will be using for the body. My friend got it for free, so he gave me this piece.
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/a_person_people/IMGP1909.jpg

Here's a picture of the Alder I will be using for the neck. The guy who owns the cabinet show near me gave me this piece.
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/a_person_people/IMGP1910.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/a_person_people/IMGP1908.jpg

A picture of both of the pieces.
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/a_person_people/IMGP1911.jpg

For tuners, I was thinking about these ideas, and designs.

The first design on this page is the one I was thinking about using.
http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2007/11/make-your-own-headless-guitar-tuners.html

Heres another one. So far I like this one the best.
Marynowski Headless Guitar Tuning Keys

And the ideas I had were to move the headstock to the back.
Or make a tail piece with tuners on it.

The next thing I need to plan next is the bridge, and pickups.
I'm not sure if I should make a floating bridge like a normal cello, or make a fixed bridge that I can adjust the action, and stuff. What are your thoughts on this?

And for pickups, I'm not sure what to do yet. All I know right now is that they have to be piezos. magnetic pickups don't work to well with bows most of the time.

Like I said, I'm open to all of your ideas, and suggestions. So if you have any just post them up.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
:welcome:
You might want to try to find a board with a straighter grain for the neck, so as to avoid any warping down the road.

vices like vipers

Reaction score
Thanks. I was worried about that, but my friend says it should be alright if I laminate it together. But I'm still not to sure. I'm thinking about just cutting a piece of that mahogany and using that.

vices like vipers

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't posted in this thread in a while.

I just got to work on the cello guitar thingy yesterday haha.
I'm building it with my best friend (we are also building him one.)
I have made some changes to my plans, the neck is probably going to be made from bamboo. the scale is going to be 27 inchs, since thats about the scale of a cello.
And I'm going with a tung oil finish.

Oh I also made a CAD of my design, I'll post up a picture of that later.
And I'll get picture of the work we have done so far. I forgot to bring the camera. but I'll bring it next time.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions?

vices like vipers

Reaction score
Thanks man, I love that whole album haha. I haven't heard a bad album or song by them yet.

Oh, and every one. these will be 6 string, since I can't get a low B for it. and I'm not sure if I can get a high B either.

jwatso89

Reaction score
I've heard a good way to strengthen necks and reduce the possibilty of warping is to saw it lengthwise into 3 long strips, flip the center strip to have the grain flow in the opposite direction and then glue them back together again (from ///////////// grain pattern to /////\\\\\/////). Supposedly the opposing grains will help it stay straight as time goes on. Good luck on the build tho man :D i'm eager to see how this turns out!

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
I can't wait to see this!! I really wanted to make an electric viol-ish thing of sorts, viola da gamba are cool as fuck. SWEEEEEET. Give us many many updates.

vansinn

Reaction score
Sexy, looking forward to the progress. Bowed instruments are so cool.

I often miss playing violin and some day will have a 5-string electric violin (real violin in an appartment.. not practical).

Kamin

Reaction score
Sexy, looking forward to the progress. Bowed instruments are so cool.

I often miss playing violin and some day will have a 5-string electric violin (real violin in an appartment.. not practical).

I had the same issue in college. Have you looked into getting a practice mute. It goes over the entire bridge and really reduces the volume while not harming the tone too much. It made a huge difference for me.