First Seven String- Douglas SR-370

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Merry Christmas! New to this forum :yesway:

I have recently received my first seven string, a Douglas SR370. I've had my eye on it for a while, but finally took the plunge and got one, after reading many a mixed review online. I'd like to try and make a rather brief but in-depth review of it after having it for a couple days.

First off, for a first seven string, I think this guitar is pretty good. It comes with two humbuckers, a locking nut, Grover tuners, 24 frets, and a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo. It came double boxed, very well packaged, and the finish looks GREAT (I got mine in black). I'm not sure of the exact weight of this guitar, but it doesn't feel too bad at all to me. I was interested in this seven string guitar to mess around with, considering my taste in music (metal, e.g. Dream Theater, Jeff Loomis/Nevermore, Trivium, Fear Factory, Whitechapel, Scar Symmetry), a lot of the cool things you can do with the floating bridge, and because I felt like journeying beyond the six string realm. Plus for the price, this is a good option.

I have never had experience with Floyd Rose system, other than playing a Hellraiser FR at Guitar Center once. I was also skeptical about the Licensed Floyds as it seemed many people had some that were made sub-par, and others got guitars with well made trems. After toying with mine for a while, I feel it was well made. It did go out of tune somewhat easily, but I got the hang of it after a little while. As you might be able to see in the photo, the G string broke (insert sophomoric sexual innuendo here) after a couple hours of playing. I wasn't too surprised, since they were stock strings. That said, I'm going into my local shop soon to get the strings changed, I'm thinking with Ernie Ball 10-60s for flexibility in the higher strings but still have good ballsy rhythm tone :hbang: , and also to have the trem system set up properly, so I don't completely screw it up with my Floyd Rose clueless-ness. The action could use adjustment and there is some fret buzz as well. However, once in tune, it will play well without too much adjustment.

The pickups on this guitar are not terrible, and are more than tolerable for a while. They aren't very high output, and it may have been the crappy cable that came with it, but when I plugged into my amp the sound wavered in and out occasionally (also gonna have the wiring checked when I drop it off at the shop). I will probably have the pickups replaced eventually, but until I have the money, these'll do just fine.

Switching back and forth between my six string and my seven string isn't nearly as bad as I thought. I also love the look of this guitar, with the inlays and black finish, even though I originally was leaning more towards the natural finish. Overall, for the price this is one of the best deals out there, and with new strings and adjustments, I look forward to having a good playing future with this instrument.

Attachments

• 5295610475_24c0bca750_b.jpg
    5295610475_24c0bca750_b.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 87

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
this way will be better

and :welcome: of course we hope that you will have fun with your new string!!!!

18009d1293437362-first-seven-string-douglas-sr-370-5295610475_24c0bca750_b.jpg