Found alot of vintage tubes up for grabs

• Thread starter BMO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Hey guys! Made a post in the pickups spot of the forum by accident so reposting here! Dunno if any of you are in the Massachusetts area, but I dropped into Salem during work and checked out a shop called Witch City Consignment. I stopped by to expand my goth wardrobe. They kinda sell whatever people donate or bring in and there’s a whole bin full of vintage tubes for amps and radios! Figure someone might be interested if they have a tube amp and like usin vintage stuff. They looked to be priced pretty cheap too. Also dunno if this post is agaisnt any rules if it is I’ll take it down! Just wanted to give a heads up on cool stuff I found for sale!

Attachments

• 4C5F3FEF-019D-40A2-B925-CA0CA32C4DA8.jpeg
    4C5F3FEF-019D-40A2-B925-CA0CA32C4DA8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Calling them first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up!

wakjob

Reaction score
I wonder how many of those are actually used.

Not sure, but old stock tubes usually test pretty strong even when taken out of service. I've made some great scores this way.

I have a friend that's closer than me that's gonna sift through them first thing in the morning.

She said $1 a piece on the phone, so...
there's over 200 she thinks doing a quick count.

Might be mostly TV tubes, we'll see.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I pulled a bunch of tubes from some scrapped tvs at my grandparents when I was a teenager. Got several old 12a_7s out of it.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Not sure, but old stock tubes usually test pretty strong even when taken out of service. I've made some great scores this way.

I have a friend that's closer than me that's gonna sift through them first thing in the morning.

She said $1 a piece on the phone, so...
there's over 200 she thinks doing a quick count.

Might be mostly TV tubes, we'll see.

Don't just think in terms of guitars. The high audio crowd will pay a lot more for tubes than musicians. Look for 6SN7's (or variants), 6SL7's (or variants), 6DJ8/6922, any dual rectifier tubes, anything by Western Electric, 6072A's, etc. These have very little or no use in guitar amps but have great value in high end audio.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I have found large stocks of old tubes in antique stores and thrift shops throughout the years and although hopeful every time, there's almost never been a 12ax7 or an el34 amongst them somehow...but it's still worth checking out! Good luck!

wakjob

Reaction score
Well, it turned out to be a bust.
There was one el84 tube in the whole deal.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
I have better luck. I was at the Alameda Swap Meet a few years ago and found a box of tubes. I paid $100 but there were a dozen NOS 12ax7's and a bunch of other useful tubes like 12at7's, 12au7's, and other useful tubes.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I see boxes of tubes all the time at Ax-Man, which is like a variety/hardware/surplus junkstore. I've never once seen a tube that is widely used in guitar amps.

Last edited: