Fractal Axe-Fx

megalex

Reaction score
Thanks.. I just bought the DCM600 to run through my 4x12 with g12k-100s And I just bought the Axe-Fx :).. will compare the sound to my 6505 and fireball stereo setup ..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I can't wait for my mid-life crisis! If all I have to do is take a pill to get a boner but can drop the phat lewt for orgasmic gear, well fuck. I am there.

But in all seriousness, how does it compare?

megalex

Reaction score
I can't wait for my mid-life crisis! If all I have to do is take a pill to get a boner but can drop the phat lewt for orgasmic gear, well fuck. I am there.

But in all seriousness, how does it compare?
Will let you know when I get the Axe.. right now both amps are freaking awesome but i can only play them when my kid is awake and my wife is downstairs.. SO im looking forward to the Axe FX.. It will provably still be hard to beat these two amps together but If it comes close I might sell the 2 amps and keep the Axe. The axe will be hell of alot more portable too..

Josh Lawson

Banned
Reaction score
Will let you know when I get the Axe.. right now both amps are freaking awesome but i can only play them when my kid is awake and my wife is downstairs.. SO im looking forward to the Axe FX.. It will provably still be hard to beat these two amps together but If it comes close I might sell the 2 amps and keep the Axe. The axe will be hell of alot more portable too..
So how is it being a lottery winner anyway?:agreed:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
From the Axe-FX forum

"Well thnx guys!! I recorded 4 gtrs for the metal clip. 2 new rectos and 2 soldanos, both with custom impulses. I think I used GuitarHacks impulses."

So direct with impulses

Josh Lawson

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that is amazing, this really makes an ultra clean solid state poweramp viable.
With what cab? PA cabs? Powered Actives? A normal rig? People are all over the place with this one. In one forum a guy used an FRFR Traynor H4 keyboard amp. I guess if the pre really is good enough, that might be all the coloring a signal chain needs. I also read in the Axe-FX forums about some guy using a spectrum analyzer set to pink noise, though his FX return/speaker cab set up. This let him know what to set his built in parametric EQ to get the best, flattest signal from this rig. Fascinating stuff. It seems only now are we really getting into the "Brave New World" of modeling guitar sounds, in true 21st century sci-fi style.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
This kind of thing has been used in adjusting studio acoustics for years, I'm surprised its taking till now for it to disseminate into the world of guitar playing, especially with modelling being so prevalent nowadays.

Its getting to somewhere where tech heads like me can play for hours with the gear as well as play through it (yeah, I enjoy playing with gear as much as using it :))

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
With what cab? PA cabs? Powered Actives? A normal rig? People are all over the place with this one. In one forum a guy used an FRFR Traynor H4 keyboard amp. I guess if the pre really is good enough, that might be all the coloring a signal chain needs. I also read in the Axe-FX forums about some guy using a spectrum analyzer set to pink noise, though his FX return/speaker cab set up. This let him know what to set his built in parametric EQ to get the best, flattest signal from this rig. Fascinating stuff. It seems only now are we really getting into the "Brave New World" of modeling guitar sounds, in true 21st century sci-fi style.

This is where it gets really crazy! In theory, you could run it into any good cabinet or power amp (Guitar or PA) and get great results, it's mind boggling. If I get one I plan to try it through my Mesa 50/50 and Vader cab first and see what happens :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
This kind of thing has been used in adjusting studio acoustics for years, I'm surprised its taking till now for it to disseminate into the world of guitar playing, especially with modelling being so prevalent nowadays.

Its getting to somewhere where tech heads like me can play for hours with the gear as well as play through it (yeah, I enjoy playing with gear as much as using it :))

From what people are saying on the AxeFx forum it seems that it's good for tweakers and also people like me that just want to plug in to good tone. It seems that the deeper tweaking is an "option" over a "necessity" like in the other modelers.

Josh Lawson

Banned
Reaction score
From what people are saying on the AxeFx forum it seems that it's good for tweakers and also people like me that just want to plug in to good tone. It seems that the deeper tweaking is an "option" over a "necessity" like in the other modelers.

I wonder if bi-amping is a possibility? One side being low centered and the other being more mids 'n highs? If this thing could do dual voicing that would also be really cool as well!:scratch:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've understood, this thing seems endlessly tweakable. Seems like it should have a filter that you can chain with the outputs to bi-amp. I bet it does.

Anyone know for sure?

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have the ultra out there? What does it have that the std. doesn't?

The Ultra has more processing power and some effects blocks that the Standard doesn't have.

There is a fuckload of information here:

Main Page - Axe-Fx Wiki

For what it's worth, the Ultra wasn't even an option when I got my Standard but I haven't felt for one second that I needed any more.