Fractal Axe-Fx

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Me SE is broken right now :mad: I'm mad at it so I think when I get it back I will sell it off, get an AxeFX, and try to be done with tubes :lol: We'll see. I'm not going back and reading this to see if they've been mentioned before but Severed Savior is now using AxeFX exclusively. Here's some new tunes that were tracked with it: MySpace.com - Severed Savior - SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, California - Death Metal / Death Metal / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/severedsavior

Mike Gilbert went from an Engl SE rack setup to this and he seems really impressed.

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
Me SE is broken right now :mad: I'm mad at it so I think when I get it back I will sell it off, get an AxeFX, and try to be done with tubes :lol: We'll see. I'm not going back and reading this to see if they've been mentioned before but Severed Savior is now using AxeFX exclusively. Here's some new tunes that were tracked with it: MySpace.com - Severed Savior - SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, California - Death Metal / Death Metal / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/severedsavior

Mike Gilbert went from an Engl SE rack setup to this and he seems really impressed.

I've been trying to tell you. I don't miss my tube rigs at all.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
I'd like to run one of these with my Powerball just as an augmentation kind of setup to get a whole bunch of tones that the Powerball can't do.

My only concerns are it being heavily coloured by the preamp (which probably isn't that big deal as the Powerball is yet to be anything but awesome for me) and whether it can switch amp channels via relay (didn't see anything in the manual addressing this, assuming that it doesn't work that way).

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
You would need a midi switch to do that if like me your amp doesn't have midi :(

JoshuaLogan

Banned
Reaction score

Oh, damn! Mike finally switched to using the Axe-FX live? Awesome. He is a huge gear whore too, so that's saying a lot.

I love my Ultra, and I'm happier with it overall than I have been with any of the amps I've owned... and I've had a bunch of amps.... Bogner Uberschall, Framus Dragon, Orange Rockerverb, Mesa Roadser, 5150 III, Cauble Omintone, etc.... The only amp I've REALLY completely loved and couldn't afford (or wasn't willing to pay for) was the Engl SE. But I'm completely content with my Ultra. It's an amazing tool... and most importantly it's very inspiring and gets the creative juices flowing. :agreed:

Does it have a noise gate, if so, comparable or better than a decimator rack?

The noise gate is very, very good! And the fact that you can set it at different settings for different patches means you don't need the tracking thing the decimator pro rack g has.... for example you can back off on it for clean and lead patches so it doesn't choke sustain, but can tighten it up for your rhythm patches.

That's one of the big reasons why I love it and find it so valuable... some people have a shit ton of money in their rig used just on things like boost pedals and noisegates... the isp pro decimator rack I think is something like $400 itself!

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
You would need a midi switch to do that if like me your amp doesn't have midi :(

Poops.

I guess I'm sticking with the G Major for now.

No the Powerball doesn't have midi, but would a midi switch allow me to switch channels on a patch by patch basis like I do with the G Major?

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. It would mean having to setting up another piece of gear but what it would do is allow you to program it to switch the channels on the amp based on the midi signal you program the Axe FX to send. It's the biggest turn off to me for getting an Axe FX ATM but then maybe the Axe FX can get me the ENGL tone and I might not need the E530 anymore :shrug:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
It sounds like a lot of screwing around, even for me and I run a dual 31 band rack mount EQ with my Powerball. :lol:

Still, it would be nice to have that wide tonal palette in addition to what already comes out of my Powerball, and the effects sound amazing, not to mention the dual gating of the ultra (which would save me tonnes on a Pro Rack G and be more flexible).

Maybe it's not that big a screw around after all, considering the results. :idea:

But this is all ballast, I want a new 7 more than a new amp/FX processor/doo dad.

Reaction score
Ya know..this does sound kinda interesting...wonder if I can run it with the DTX, I'm sure it'll take some work but I wouldn't mind if it's as good as everyone says. I wanted another amp for different tonal options anyways, and for diversity you can't get any better than the fractal..especially if I can run it with the DTX to experiment with the overall sound

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
Oh god. I'm REALLY contemplating this. I .. really want the VHT Sig:X. But, part of me is saying to get this first, play with it for a bit, and if I don't really dig it, sell it later for a little cut (consider it my "rental" charge), and get the VHT. Unfffffff.