Fractal FX-8

• Thread starter Splinterhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orzech

Reaction score
I was doing my research for a delay and probably a reverb pedal, to go with my Kemper. The eventide and strymon units had my attention, but now I'm intrigued. Looking forward to "Soon"!

If it's only for those 2 purposes it's very probable that you wont need their new unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Quick question about the Axe Fx, other than the Deftones are there any people who are really going wild with the effects, like shoegazey or post-rock/metal stuff.

And yes I know that using a multi effects would be pretty anti shoegaze.

EDIT: Some video examples would be great.

Aris_T

Reaction score
If it's only for those 2 purposes it's very probable that you wont need their new unit

The Strymon and Eventide units are about 400€ each. If you add a foot controller for the Kemper (I use a pod XT live at the moment), you're around 1500€, which will be probably the street price of the FX8.

I'll most definitely try before I buy!

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
...so now they need to make one without any effects now :cool:

i would buy an amp model only one :2c:

NickB11

Reaction score
I really hope one of their 6 new products in the pipeline is a VST plugin or a simplified AxeFx - like maybe one with only 5 slots for amps and effects that could switch out.

I really liked my AxeFx 2, but I felt I never really needed ALL of those models (not complaining, but a stripped down version would be sweet).

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I really hope one of their 6 new products in the pipeline is a VST plugin or a simplified AxeFx - like maybe one with only 5 slots for amps and effects that could switch out.

I really liked my AxeFx 2, but I felt I never really needed ALL of those models (not complaining, but a stripped down version would be sweet).

THIS.

I want something better then a HD500 amp modeling wise, but I don't need all the other effects stuff.

Like an amp only only one with 5 amps (that were interchangeable) would be ideal...

I guess I'll keep dreaming :lol:

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
...so now they need to make one without any effects now :cool:

i would buy an amp model only one :2c:

This seems like it would be the plan, eh? Buy your Fractal FX-8 for your tube amps, or buy your Fractal "Amp Modeler"-8 if you just want amp tones to record with....or if you're silly and on a budget, buy them both a year apart from each other cause you can't wait to buy an AFX-XL!

Syrinx

Reaction score

This wouldn't really reduce cost though. To implement the modelling for amps and effects will still require the two tiger sharc processors. The number of amps provided is based on the developed firmware and I don't see Cliff trying to manage two different code paths like that.

SLAGTRON

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the Axe FX, so I'm wondering if anyone might know or be able to speculate on if this unit would have overdrive/boost/distortion stompbox type effects in addition to the reverbs, delays, modulation, etc. The addition of quality boost/overdrive effects would probably be the determining factor for me to replace my actual pedalboard with this.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Assuming "effects" is "everything not an Amp or Cab block" then yes, it would.

Syrinx

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the Axe FX, so I'm wondering if anyone might know or be able to speculate on if this unit would have overdrive/boost/distortion stompbox type effects in addition to the reverbs, delays, modulation, etc. The addition of quality boost/overdrive effects would probably be the determining factor for me to replace my actual pedalboard with this.

I believe Cliff mentioned in a post yesterday (can't find it right off hand) that it will allow for 2 at a time.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Intrested. If it can come in a rack format I'll be all over it if the price is right. I prefer a real amp tone.

However, if I can find a AxeFX to try against the Kemper I'm flirting with I might be swayed. I'm open to all possibles at the moment.

Aris_T

Reaction score
Found a photo of the rear panel

fx8_rear.jpg

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Quick question about the Axe Fx, other than the Deftones are there any people who are really going wild with the effects, like shoegazey or post-rock/metal stuff.

And yes I know that using a multi effects would be pretty anti shoegaze.

EDIT: Some video examples would be great.

The Naked and Famous are a indie/synth pop band, the guitarist uses an Axe FX 2 and MFC-101.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Vai uses it for all his effects. And he is all about crazy effects. There is an interview somewhere where he is asked about his rig and he points to the Axe and says that's it.