Frustrated buyer seeking opinions

Simple Jack

Reaction score
Hey all,

Before I go on, please know I have googled the heck outta this topic for about a week and am still stuck ...

I am looking to buy my first seven string, probably online and imported from the US (I'm from Australia, range is limited and guitars pricey here).

This is my basic criteria:
- under $1000, or nudging over $1000 and arguably an excellent buy
- Fixed bridge preferred, def NO Floyd Rose
- Active pickups
- if possible something attractive, but not essential

My style of music is rock and metalcore, and I'm more after a chugga chugga machine than a weeoww weeowww maker :) (read more rhythm than lead)

At present I am considering a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 with SD Blackouts. It ticks a lot of boxes for me, altho I'm aware public opinion on Schecters is divided.

I'm in a predicament where I can't just walk in to a guitar store and play a dozen models - thus I'm researching the heck out of the issue and crossing my fingers.

$0.01 for your thoughts? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Theres a million options. How about you put a couple on here that you are thinking about. Most 7 guitars will work for, um.......chugga chugga.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I tried out the Ibanez IronLabel stuff recently and was thoroughly impressed. I was looking to buy a Gibson, but almost changed my mind for the Iron Label. They seemed a step up from your average Ibanez. Really simple designs (a plus in my book), played great and sounded fantastic. I played the 6 string version of this...it was top notch
211P01130215484-body-large.jpg

sear

Reaction score
The Ibanez Iron Label guitars are much worse than LTDs in the same price range, in my opinion. The ones I played all had very shoddy fretwork (rough edges, dead notes), didn't feel especially solid or comfortable to play, and the finishes looked like ugly cheap plastic (par for the course for Ibanez). Yeah, you get a fast-playing guitar with EMGs in it, but otherwise the build quality is not much better than some $200-300 starter guitars you find, and you're just paying for the name on the headstock and on the pickups.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
i just picked up an LTD AW-7 and i love it. Build quality feels like that of a more expensive guitar. Ive also heard great things about LTD and their worth when compared to others in its price range. The AW-7 has passive pups but they are the dimarzio dactivators which im pretty sure were made to give you the active feel/sound but in a passive pickup (was that understandable? lol) anyway, look into some LTD stuff... the AW-7 is $899 and is definitely worth it.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
With your budget, I wouldn't look at Ibanez at all. Spending AUD 950.- on a basswood bolt-on from Indonesia... :ugh:

How is import tax from Japan for you Aussies? Because this is AUD 1050 + 150 shipping:
edw-ehr135iii7s-bk.jpg

It's an Edwards Horizon III, from the exact same factory as the ESP Standard series and built to the same specs. I found it here:

Rakuten: [Rakuten International Shipping Services]- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

More info on the ESP Japan site:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/hr/E-HR-135III-7S.html

The Schecters and LTD's are both made in the WMI factory in Korea, in each price range the overall quality is the same. The Schecter SLS is a very good choice, as are the Whitechapel signature axes from LTD, and the LTD H-1007NT or EC-407.

Simple Jack

Reaction score
^ mmmm that Edwards looks nice. Loving the contours, very interesting, thank you. I can't remember when import tax here kicks in, pretty sure it's after $1000 or $1500.

Just after I started this thread I came across another in which someone was extolling the virtues of Agile guitars. I had a look at their site and was blown away - some of their stuff looks fantastic. Like a Carvin on a budget. Anyone had any experiences with them? I must say I dig boutique or lesser known brand guitars.

Thanks everyone for their input so far. I will be researching all these options today. Anyone else with an opinion, please lay it on me :)

spilla

Reaction score
Id recommend Etguitars Tomahawke FX7. From all ive read Ernie does very nice fretwork/necks. Plus you can upgrade hardware/timber. Ive got one one the way.

ET Guitars

But if cant handle waiting a 2-3months then westernsuburbsmusic has half decent (for Australia) prices, with free shipping. Im not seeing anything id really recommend though, still you might find something you like eg. that Ironlabel

Electric 7 & 8 String : The Music Shop Western Suburbs

mongey

Reaction score
spilla took the words outta my mouth. conatct Ernie at ET in Mittagong . canberra to Mittagong is even do-able to go check out his stuff.

His tomahawk model ticks all your boxes for $1000 . well not the active but i'm sure he'll do it

for an aussie buyer he can't be beat on build quality for the $ .

Simple Jack

Reaction score
The Schecters and LTD's are both made in the WMI factory in Korea, in each price range the overall quality is the same. The Schecter SLS is a very good choice, as are the Whitechapel signature axes from LTD, and the LTD H-1007NT or EC-407.

I think this is boiling down to the Schecter SLS and LTDs. The EC-407 looks a treat, and is a guitar I have glanced at in the past. Nice to get some input into the quality of LTDs - I know they're ESP designed but always feared they'd be nasty and cheap to play. Schecter still ticks more boxes re features - ebony fretboard over rosewood, and Blackouts over EMGs - nonetheless the LTDs look solid, and seem to be hated by less people than Schecters.

Did some more reading on Agiles - glad I put in the extra effort, the no-warranty fiasco and various horror stories have turned me off them. It's a gamble I don't think I want to take. Will look into Carvins too.

If you have a differing opinion, please feel free to lay it on me :)

darkmist255

Reaction score
At present I am considering a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 with SD Blackouts.

I recently got a Blackjack SLS C-7 and it's an incredible guitar. Ticks all of your boxes. Plays incredibly well, sounds fantastic, and looks great! I would recommend it 100%!

Also, the Schecter hate doesn't really apply here since the SLS series is quite a bit different from typical Schecters.

Simple Jack

Reaction score
I recently got a Blackjack SLS C-7 and it's an incredible guitar. Ticks all of your boxes. Plays incredibly well, sounds fantastic, and looks great! I would recommend it 100%!

Also, the Schecter hate doesn't really apply here since the SLS series is quite a bit different from typical Schecters.

Well I'm sold, even if I did have to go around the block a few times just to wind up back where I started. Thanks Darkmist!! I knew there was a reason Aussies like Canadians so much - you're all champions :)

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I understand an am fully aware posts like this hit guitar forums so much they border on being spam, but when you're stuck you're stuck. I will place an order later for the Schecter, but am still persuadable if someone can point me in a better direction.

ss.org rules, glad I came here

trent6308

Reaction score
If you're interested in a Schecter check out the Chris Garza sig. I picked one up from the US ebay for around $750 (not including shipping to Sydney).

It was a decent starting point for someone getting in 7 strings.

It has a slightly longer scale, EMG 81-7 and 60-7, thru neck, locking tuners, mahoghany body.... not bad specs for the money.

All the best mate!

Simple Jack

Reaction score
Cheers Trent, I just ordered a Blackjack SLS from Sweetwater.

And on that topic, if I may have a rant for a sec they wanted to charge about $330 to post the guitar and a case (about $165 each). I understand postage is an expense out of their control, but geeeez $165 to freight a $99 case. Trouble is I've been searching and can't find any Australian online stores that sell original Schecter cases, which look awesome compared to boring generic cases like Gator. In fact the cases seem to be a lot harder to find than the guitars. Very odd.

Thanks all once again :)

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Good choice, you won't regret the SLS!

I saw your note on the LTD EC-407 and you'd like an ebony fretboard. If you ever want something like that in the future, then the Mark Heylmun signature EC model would do the trick.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
The Ibanez Iron Label guitars are much worse than LTDs in the same price range, in my opinion. The ones I played all had very shoddy fretwork (rough edges, dead notes), didn't feel especially solid or comfortable to play, and the finishes looked like ugly cheap plastic (par for the course for Ibanez). Yeah, you get a fast-playing guitar with EMGs in it, but otherwise the build quality is not much better than some $200-300 starter guitars you find, and you're just paying for the name on the headstock and on the pickups.

wow - my experience was basically the exact opposite (aside from the finish, which you either like or don't). Nice frets, set up great - even from the GC bottom shelf - Try before you buy, evidently.