Fun Preamps for Metal

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Ok, what the hell. I'll throw one in the mix...

a.r.t DST 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
:agreed:

As a child of the late 80's and early 90's (In guitar at least) I often think back to the Marshall 9000 series (there's a tube or solid state choice - both sound great) as well as the Hughes and Kettner 1/2 rack space series (Cream Machine, Metal Shredder) etc.

You just have to be in the right place and the right time.

I remember seeing ads for the H&K modules in Guitar Player all the time. Same goes for the Rockman 'headphone amps' that looked like a cassette player.

bhakan

Reaction score
Mesa Studio Pre rules.
Even though this is tube, I second this. I have one, great Mark series tones.

The Marshall JMP and ADA mp1 have a tube or two, but are mostly solid state, so they may be enough within your limitations

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I remember seeing ads for the H&K modules in Guitar Player all the time. Same goes for the Rockman 'headphone amps' that looked like a cassette player.

Yeah, a friend of mine built a tiny combo with a Cream Machine and a 6" speaker - it sounds brilliant! They do sometimes appear on ebay and the Metal Shredder is actually quite ferocious through an amp's power section.

I seem to remember Peavey doing a couple of pre-amps/effects units that were used on a few recordings and IIRC Tony Macalpine used the Rockman to record a couple of his early albums.

Great tones :)

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
bumpin' because my butt is in severe pain over NO Peavey Rockmasters available on eBay or anywhere else :(

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I plan on getting a Vt2 in the very near future, likely along with a P2, R2, P2, and E2 not long after, provided the Vt2 impresses me as much as the Bulava has.

Just a quick note on this, since the thread seems to still be alive - I now have a Vt2 in addition to my Bulava, and kicks as much, if not more ass than the Bulava. Very, very impressed. I plan on picking up the R2 and E2 next, followed by the P2, possibly the S2, all in that order.

geetar_geek79

Reaction score
Just a quick note on this, since the thread seems to still be alive - I now have a Vt2 in addition to my Bulava, and kicks as much, if not more ass than the Bulava. Very, very impressed. I plan on picking up the R2 and E2 next, followed by the P2, possibly the S2, all in that order.

get the d2 as well! then let us all know how they all sound!:hbang::lol:

i want a vt2 and a d2 pending video reviews...

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
ENGL E530. Simple, effective and high gain as fuck! In a blind test it'd be hard to tell a good high gain head and an E530+a good power amp apart. I own one and I love it. Lots of versatility.

I run mine through a Marshall EL34 100/100. It slays.

wlfers

Reaction score
I now have a Vt2 in addition to my Bulava, and kicks as much, if not more ass than the Bulava.

Awesome... I'm about to pick one up myself. Did you run a boost in front of the VT2?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Awesome... I'm about to pick one up myself. Did you run a boost in front of the VT2?

Yes, though I felt it was adequate without, too (which the Bulava wasn't really). My boost these days is a TC Integrated Pre, though, so it's as much about tone shape / fine-tuning as it is about boosting. Both of my AMTs really come to life with a very mild boost and a more generous low end rolloff.

wlfers

Reaction score
bumping this to say I got my VT2 in the mail today.

holy shit, through my power amp and cab as a preamp it sounds ridiculous. This will easily be a live backup preamp. The cab sim plugged direct is much better than any other cab simulator I've experienced though it still leaves a tiny bit to be desired.

I still haven't tried the preamp in with impulses yet, I'll hopefully post some clips soon!

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
bumping this to say I got my VT2 in the mail today.

holy shit, through my power amp and cab as a preamp it sounds ridiculous. This will easily be a live backup preamp. The cab sim plugged direct is much better than any other cab simulator I've experienced though it still leaves a tiny bit to be desired.

I still haven't tried the preamp in with impulses yet, I'll hopefully post some clips soon!

Sick man! So does it nail the VHT tone or feel? Can you compare it to a specific model?

wlfers

Reaction score
That sounds great! Post some clips when you can :hbang:

By the way, what power amp are you using?

When it first came in the mail I tried it through my VHT 2/90/2 but I took my power amp to get re-tubed yesterday so today's clips wont be through the KT88 goodness.

Sick man! So does it nail the VHT tone or feel? Can you compare it to a specific model?

There is a bit too much sizzle on the high end, and the bass is not as tight as you'd expect from a VHT. But to my surprise and to their credit they really caught that hollow, scratchy and aggressive midrange :agreed:

The only VHTs I've owned for an extensive enough period to know inside and out would be the Ultra-Lead and GP3, so I couldn't let you know which one it most represents. When I get my 2/90/2 I plan on doing a comparison with it mic'd vs the onboard cab sim.

Here a couple of short wank videos through a camera mic, couldn't crank it too loud in my apartment. It's also 90 degrees right now and my clothes are sticking to my body:scream:

Oh and like TTM said, no boost was really necessary. Right now it's running through a cheap american audio SS poweramp through my vader carnage strain.