Fun Preamps for Metal

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AfroSamurai

Reaction score
I'm super impressed, sounds really good! It reminds me a little bit of a deliverance. I think that paired with your 2/90/2 it's going to sound even closer to a real vht.

I really can't believe how much tone these things pack, I really need to buy one. The main problem is to decide which one hahaha, p2, e2, vt2, s2 list goes on and on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
That sounded fucking bad ass athawulf. Love the riffing too, was there Neuraxis or something thrown in there? maybe the Faceless or Aborted, I can't place it... maybe it's all your own riffing :lol:

wlfers

Reaction score
Thanks man! Appreciate it, it's mostly original but there is a bastardized faceless riff at the end of the second video haha. Maybe an "I wish I could play like muhammad" riff or two.

I'm super impressed, sounds really good! It reminds me a little bit of a deliverance. I think that paired with your 2/90/2 it's going to sound even closer to a real vht.

I really can't believe how much tone these things pack, I really need to buy one. The main problem is to decide which one hahaha, p2, e2, vt2, s2 list goes on and on.

Thanks, and they definitely do pack a bit! For $170 the Vt2 holds its own against much more expensive preamps. I liked the clips I heard of the p2, but whatever you get let us know so we can have a comparison between the other legend series pres.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Sweetness. Yes very Necrophagy lol!

Btw on another note how does the "clean channel" sound on these?

AfroSamurai

Reaction score
athawulf said:
Thanks, and they definitely do pack a bit! For $170 the Vt2 holds its own against much more expensive preamps. I liked the clips I heard of the p2, but whatever you get let us know so we can have a comparison between the other legend series pres.

I'm moving to Canada next week, so after I settle down I'll see what I'm going to get. It's either one of the legend 2 preamps, the stonehead or a e530.

slayercannibalsuffohead

Reaction score
This has to be one of the best, cheapest preamps I have ever had the pleasure to play through.
The cleans are some of the best I have heard and the 5 overdrive/distortion channels takes you from hard rock to 90s death metal to chainsaw like distortion. These can be had for around $50! Hard to find, but for the outlay, everyone should have one of these. Still got mine.

2011-02-22_15-33-00_21.jpg

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
Since there is a lot of love for AMT pedals here - I have a quesstion.

I recently sold a guitar so have a bit of cash and am fed up of playing through my laptop most of the time. I fancy a Laney IRT60 but not got the cash so will be saving for that. In the mean time after buying a V30 loaded 2x12 cab I would have about £150-£200ish to spend on something to play through it.

So would the AMT pedals make a decent practice rig until I can get the head I want? What models in particular have people tried other then the Vt? I was considering getting the S-1 or E-1 as they are pretty cheap on thomann (about £68-£75) and I love the boosted Soldano metal tone so that is a plus. I could maybe stretch to buying 2 of them depending on the amp choice and maybe get something voiced a little differently like a R-1 or OE-1. Are any of those pretty close sounding to the real thing or even decent sounding as a practice rig? The Vt-2 sounds great but all the 2 series pedals are not in stock for a couple of weeks and are about the £100 mark. Are there any differences between the 1 and 2 series other than the CL level knob and boost? Are they worth the extra money?

The other thing is what to use as a power amp. The TC-3 tube cake thing looks useful (£75) but for a bit more (£140ish) I can get a VHT special 6 ultra which has an FX loop so the pedals should hopefully sound ok there. Which will be better? I'd expect the VHT to colour the tone more but at the same time it has the bonus of being a half decent clean/crunchy amp too in addition to using the pedal for higher gain stuff.

Any help would be useful! I would probably be leaning towards getting the VHT as it will probably be easier to sell when the time comes for the Laney but if the tubecake sounds good and has the bonus of being half the price then it will be considered!

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
maybe not 'cheap' per se, but the Digitech GSP1101 rack unit is fully capable of metal awesomeness(especially with the c63 firmware upgrade). Jack Owen of Deicide(formerly of Cannibal Corpse) uses one, along with lots of other touring artists.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
Since there is a lot of love for AMT pedals here - I have a quesstion.

I recently sold a guitar so have a bit of cash and am fed up of playing through my laptop most of the time. I fancy a Laney IRT60 but not got the cash so will be saving for that. In the mean time after buying a V30 loaded 2x12 cab I would have about £150-£200ish to spend on something to play through it.

So would the AMT pedals make a decent practice rig until I can get the head I want? What models in particular have people tried other then the Vt? I was considering getting the S-1 or E-1 as they are pretty cheap on thomann (about £68-£75) and I love the boosted Soldano metal tone so that is a plus. I could maybe stretch to buying 2 of them depending on the amp choice and maybe get something voiced a little differently like a R-1 or OE-1. Are any of those pretty close sounding to the real thing or even decent sounding as a practice rig? The Vt-2 sounds great but all the 2 series pedals are not in stock for a couple of weeks and are about the £100 mark. Are there any differences between the 1 and 2 series other than the CL level knob and boost? Are they worth the extra money?

The other thing is what to use as a power amp. The TC-3 tube cake thing looks useful (£75) but for a bit more (£140ish) I can get a VHT special 6 ultra which has an FX loop so the pedals should hopefully sound ok there. Which will be better? I'd expect the VHT to colour the tone more but at the same time it has the bonus of being a half decent clean/crunchy amp too in addition to using the pedal for higher gain stuff.

Any help would be useful! I would probably be leaning towards getting the VHT as it will probably be easier to sell when the time comes for the Laney but if the tubecake sounds good and has the bonus of being half the price then it will be considered!
The Legend 2 series pedals have a boost built into them, a clean channel and another output, I would wait and get them personally :), infact i'm hoping to get a p2 :D

The VHT Special 6 sounds like a good idea! Much cheaper than a tube power amp. You're gonna have to do a demo of it if you get it, I really want to hear what that sounds like :lol:.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I know you said no tubes, but the Mesa V-Twin is really a gnarly little pedal/preamp.

wakjob

Reaction score
if i may ask... why no love for Sansamp PSA1?

I've had the GT-2 pedal since 98'. And it isn't going anywhere. I put it away for months at a time, then brake it out and remember why I could never sell it.

But I would like to get my hands on an Sans Amp Original Rack Mount. Very rare, and just like the PSA-1. But with a bit more gain, and no programability. It has knobs.... imagine that. Had one for $75 and let it go. :wallbash:

I dunno though, maybe Andrew Barta's technology is starting to get 'dated'. These AMT pedal's have something more going on in their tone. I need to get my hands on a Legend series 2 to compare.

wakjob

Reaction score
I know you said no tubes, but the Mesa V-Twin is really a gnarly little pedal/preamp.

Had one.

But the crux of that pedal is that it really likes tube power amps.

I tried it out at the store with a Mesa 50/50 PA and a Peavey 5150 4x12. The hair on my arms was literally standing on end...no lie. So I bought it. Got it home and plugged into my ADA Microtube 100 (hybrid) and 2x12 cab...and I wanted to cry. Almost did.

Amanita

Reaction score
I dunno though, maybe Andrew Barta's technology is starting to get 'dated'. These AMT pedal's have something more going on in their tone. I need to get my hands on a Legend series 2 to compare.
i'd love you to share your thoughts if you ever get to compare AMT to Sansamp.
i've got rid of PSA-1 because it was a bit to noisy for my bedroom applications, now it has a good solid place in my friends' live bass rig. the thing was so versatile, from spicing up bass through processing drums to a full-on wall of gain type distortion. and all with class :)