gamers - do you play on a console or on a PC?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi,

about 6-8 years ago when I built my PC I got Far Cry 2 and played it for hours on end, kinda got addicted to it, to the point where I uninstalled it so I would not spend so much time gaming anymore (it was out of control...LOL)
Have not been gaming much ever since.

I'm kinda starting to feel the itch again and was wondering what route to go: either install games on my PC or get a gaming console.

The PC in question is also the PC I have my DAW on, so it's my recording PC, maybe not a good idea to use it for gaming as well, right?

What are your thoughts on gaming on a PC vs on a gaming console?
Advantages/disadvantages to each?

And if you use a console, which one would you recommend?
I have only played some games on my g/f's xBox about 2 years ago and liked it, but have no experience with consoles otherwise.....

cheers,
Lars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pkgitar

Reaction score
My short answer would be PC.

These days you can just get an Xbox-controller (or any for that matter) for your PC and you've got a machine with much higher performance potential while stilling being able to use a controller if that's something you prefer over mouse+keyboard for certain games. With emulators for all kinds of platforms it's sort of the complete package.
Where I see the appeal for consoles though is exclusive titles (Halo, Mario, God of War etc), controller preference, couch gaming, playing (2-4 player with friends) on a big screen. I also think it's easier to get distracted on a PC (if you're anything like me) so distinguishing between gaming and recording could be easier depending on what you feel like doing and what your setup is.

HeavyMetal4Ever

Reaction score
Both. Console wars and PC master race arguments are a waste of time. I enjoy good games, no matter the platform.

That being said, I see the main benefits of PC as being potentially more powerful, upgradeable and more useful for a wide range of non gaming tasks . The main downsides for me are the high price of top end gear and continuing upgrades, more complex operating system and functionality, and a general lack of simplicity.

As for consoles, they are generally cheaper, easier to operate, don't require hardware upgrades for the latest titles, and are all the same, offering a uniform community in regards to performance. The downsides are mainly that PC is potentially more powerful, and that consoles are much less versatile.

If it were me, I would go with a console, if only to keep my DAW pc for that purpose alone.

I currently own an Xbox One. I would say go with the console that has the exclusives you want more. Also note that the Xbox Scorpio is out later this year, and is apparently going to be "the most powerful console ever" so you might want to hold off and see how it turns out.

I hope some of my rambling helped. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thank you both, your input does help a lot.

The advantage of a console being in the living room where the sofa's at and begin hooked up to the bigger TV screen is something I had not even thought of, but it is a big advantage IMO.

I'm not looking for the latest games or the most up-to-date console or gaming platform, just wanna get 3-5 fun games in the hope this time around I will not get addicted to gaming as I did years ago with Far Cry 2 :lol:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
For the arguably "best" gaming experience I would say PC.

But I'm lazy, rarely replay a game enough to make use of mods, and like to "just turn it on and go." So I game on a console. I would recommend seeing what console all your buddies have, then buy that one so you can all play together.

A lot of people may feel strongly one way or the other. But when I'm playing Titanfall or Bloodborne I don't care if someone else has it running with better textures/higher frame rates.

$0.02.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
PC for me, keyboard and mouse is just world's better on fps games for me.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
PC and Nintendo systems (3ds, soon Switch) is the way to go. You can't get games like nintendo stuff on PC, but everything ps4/xbox is basically on PC these days anyways. I actually just recently picked up PS Now, and I only play it on PC since I dont have a PS4/vita.. Apparently even xbox one games can be played on Win 10 now. So eh.

I have a 55" 4K tv in my living room, so I hdmi up my computer to it, have a wireless keyboard/mouse and an xbox one controller, and sit on my awesome couch and laze it up all weekend =] Who needs a console?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
For some reason I'm still kinda reluctant to install games on my recording PC ....
For that reason I'm more leaning towards getting a console .... XBox one S or PS4 Pro .... even that is tough for me to decide.....OR I try to be patient and wait for the XBox Scorpio indeed .....

auntyethel

Skommeling
Reaction score
It might sound like a mission, but if you have a decent PC you can always do a dual-boot PC, so one install is for your DAW, the other for gaming. So you can't access your games on the DAW side...

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
For that reason I'm more leaning towards getting a console .... XBox one S or PS4 Pro .... even that is tough for me to decide.....OR I try to be patient and wait for the XBox Scorpio indeed .....

Don't wait for the latest and greatest cause something new will always come along sooner than you think. I got an Xbox One S recently, its fast enough to run Witcher 3 and Doom fine. I was in the same boat and didn't want to get a PC since I already have a Mac. I like having a fine line between playing games and making music.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
It might sound like a mission, but if you have a decent PC you can always do a dual-boot PC, so one install is for your DAW, the other for gaming. So you can't access your games on the DAW side...

Thanks!
I think I'm pretty sure to get a console as opposed to gaming on my PC. Also the fact that a console would be in the living room where the bigger TV screen and the sofa is at while the PC is in another room is a factor for me.

Don't wait for the latest and greatest cause something new will always come along sooner than you think. I got an Xbox One S recently, its fast enough to run Witcher 3 and Doom fine. I was in the same boat and didn't want to get a PC since I already have a Mac. I like having a fine line between playing games and making music.

Thanks!
I played some games on what I believe was an Xbox360 some time ago, and I really liked it.
Not sure if there is much of a difference in how the game controllers feel between XBox and PS.

I'm not planning on turning into a huge gamer (that is if I can keep the addiction level under control...LOL), all I would like some cool racing game (like Need For Speed), some shooter (COD or something like Far Cry) and I'd definitely want Star Wars Battlefield. From what I can tell all of these are available for XBox and PS ...
I saw an XBox one S 1TG on sale here for 288 Euro, whereas the PS4 Pro sells here for 388 Euro....
But then I keep reading that the PS4 Pro had better gaming graphics....which I may or may not even notice.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
PC and DAW rig would be fine.

... But I prefer a console. I just got the Xbox One S and love it to death. I also have a Raspberry Pi with NES and SNES games for nostalgic purposes.

As a console peasant, I will say that objectively, PC gaming is superior. When it comes to personal preference, nothing beats melting into a couch with a controller in your hand.

I also grew up playing mostly console games so that is where my preference comes from.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I ended up ordering a PS4 Pro which I got yesterday, along with some games I had ordered, too.
I'm loving this thing so far ... However, I really suck at these games .... LOL ... but it's fun nonetheless.
I'm afraid this is going to take away some of my guitar-practice time .....

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just updated to a pro. Played everything st 60fps at 1080p which is good enough for living room gaming. No regrets. Looking forward to a Scorpio in a year or so as well.

Beefmuffin

New Boot Goofin
Reaction score
Console to me becomes a preference of which exclusive games are more appealing to you. Though I do personally believe the PS4 is the better system, that's just an opinion. As for PC vs Console, I recently made the switch. I was a hardcore PC gamer for well over 10+ years but it came time to upgrade again and for the cost of the graphics card, I could just get a PS4, so I figured now was as good a time as any. I still use the PC for mobas/rts's but everything else is bought on the PS4 now. Really it came down to the money for me. Sure PC looks better when spec'd right, but the difference between consoles and machines isn't nearly as big anymore and for the price, I could no longer justify it.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Console gamer. I had a cup of tea with PC gaming a long time back (I was playing Black and White, Starcraft, and Jedi Outcast to give you an idea), but something about sitting on the couch with a controller and just loading a disc in and playing can't be beat for me.

Also, I think my PS4 Pro may be my favorite console purchase ever, up there with Super NES and PS2.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I always tend to stick to PC because I know I'm going to have one anyway. I know lots of people say things like "don't game on your DAW pc" but I disagree entirely. A good ol' PC has a whole ton of utility outside of gaming. Also, at this point I'm one of those people with hundreds of games on Steam, so I guess I'm just invested in the platform at this point.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I play on PC because i simrace mainly, but not a fan of the elitism that so many PC guys spout off i, especially considering what some console games are able to accomplish graphically on technically inferior hardware. I love seeing a good console game wow me with graphics. Considering picking up a console of some kind so my 4 year old son and I can sit and play games more readily. He does play on PC, but it's just not the same as sitting in the family room with a controller and no keyboard/mouse in sight.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Why would someone suggest that? :scratch: A PC is just a PC regardless of its primary purpose.

The argument is often that if your work PC is also your gaming PC, then you'll get distracted when working and end up playing games instead. In the case where the PC is located in the workplace (be that literally, or in the "home office" or "home studio") then I think there's some value to that argument, but at home I say just use what you have for whatever you want.