Getting a new primary six string

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
i have decided to sell my old six string (as i have been completely betrayed by ibanez with the edge lll bridge :wallbash:) and buy something else.

since this bridge left me scarred, i am quite skeptical to get a guitar with a tremolo bridge but i also really want one:lol:

im thinking the ibanez s520ex since i have heard great things about the ZR bridge.:idea: is there anything better i should know about?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
What's your maximum budget?

The ZR bridge is alright, but I had a few problem with mine on my S body.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Not knowing your budget makes it hard to suggest new guitars however I know a kid trying to get rid of his S470DXQM *mahogany w/ quilt top and ZR trem w/ wizard II neck) for $350

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
What's your maximum budget?

The ZR bridge is alright, but I had a few problem with mine on my S body.

i'd say no more than 1000 but this is really all just depending i patient i am with saving :lol: even than i dont want to go all out on a six string, seven is my primary way to play.:shred:

i was even thinking saving up 2600 for a Rusty Cooley sig but...thats all just in a my deranged fantasy life....:nuts:

what other bridges would you suggest?

vontetzianos

Reaction score
I purchased my S body in '07 and I don't know if Ibanez has made any design changes, but a few parts on mine were constantly becoming loose, and it was impossible to tighten them without the proper tool. Otherwise I had to get someone to take the bridge off to get at the necessary pieces. I'm not knocking the ZR, but for ibanez bridges I prefer the edge pro.

I've had even better reliability with the Original Floyd Rose bridges, but I'm not sure of many guitars around 1k that have them stock. They just respond better than a lot of other bridges I've used.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter C-1 FR/Hellraiser FR/ATX FR?

LTD M-1000? H-1000?
Jackson Dinky/soloist?

That's where i'd be looking :)

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
I purchased my S body in '07 and I don't know if Ibanez has made any design changes, but a few parts on mine were constantly becoming loose, and it was impossible to tighten them without the proper tool. Otherwise I had to get someone to take the bridge off to get at the necessary pieces. I'm not knocking the ZR, but for ibanez bridges I prefer the edge pro.

I've had even better reliability with the Original Floyd Rose bridges, but I'm not sure of many guitars around 1k that have them stock. They just respond better than a lot of other bridges I've used.

so an RG than?

Schecter C-1 FR/Hellraiser FR/ATX FR?

LTD M-1000? H-1000?
Jackson Dinky/soloist?

That's where i'd be looking :)

yea but i kinda wanna stick with ibanez for the wizard neck:flame:

kherman

Reaction score
CARVIN!!!

dc127cblackburstquilt84.jpg

Carvin 6 strings use the actual Schaller made OFR.

Many options to choose from to make to your own liking.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
If you get an RG, get a high-end one. Edge Pro bridge, or the older LoPro Edge or standard Edge if you're going second-hand.
Those are some of the best tremolo bridges on the market, and with proper care they can easily last you 15-20 years.

Same goes for the S... the ZR is pretty good, and the older high-end S guitars with LoPro Edge or standard Edge are fantastic aswell.

I'd probably pick an S, unless I could get an RG with a more interesting choice of wood than the standard basswood and rosewood fretboard.
I like basswood when it's paired with a maple fretboard... or otherwise an alder or mahogany body can be pretty cool. I have an alder-bodied RG570 myself (1994 model, LoPro Edge), and I just love its tone. The alder gives it a Strat-like flavour to the sound, with a really open high-end, but because of the humbuckers you get a much fatter tone and tons of sustain.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with the Edge III you had and how long did it take to screw up?

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
The Bc Rich Gunslinger Retro and Retro Blade are very good guitars for very little money. Build quality of these is much better than anything Bc Rich have probably put out in the last 15 years or so.

Carvin are great too, again great build quality, top quality parts, excellent fretwork and very comfortable.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
In your case id get a guitar with a wilkinson bridge, the best of both worlds, a low mass floating trem without the disadvantages of a locking nut.

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with the Edge III you had and how long did it take to screw up?

well it was just fine when i first got the guitar, then my strings started getting old and i noticed it begin to come out of tune a bit more often but, only slightly. when a string finally broke i decided to replace them all.

after that the tension was never the same. :wallbash: it was (and still is) impossible to get into tune. i've even tried different tunings, like lower ones. Also the saddle blocks are really cheap and crappy. just an all around crappy trem. :squint:

also we can rule out the strings as the cause, gauges were factory specs. I had all that shit down :flame:

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
after that the tension was never the same. :wallbash: it was (and still is) impossible to get into tune. i've even tried different tunings, like lower ones. Also the saddle blocks are really cheap and crappy. just an all around crappy trem. :squint:

also we can rule out the strings as the cause, gauges were factory specs. I had all that shit down :flame:

That seems kind of strange. What you could try to do is put a piece of wood, and make it to where the bridge would normally sit, and then tune it up like normal. Once you take the wood out you should pretty close to the standard tuning. After that it is all just fine adjustments. I do that every time i change the strings on my guitars, and it has never failed me yet. Plus it also gives you a chance to clean your fretboard and between the pickups without the strings getting in your way.

victor5464

voltron
Reaction score
That seems kind of strange. What you could try to do is put a piece of wood, and make it to where the bridge would normally sit, and then tune it up like normal. Once you take the wood out you should pretty close to the standard tuning. After that it is all just fine adjustments. I do that every time i change the strings on my guitars, and it has never failed me yet. Plus it also gives you a chance to clean your fretboard and between the pickups without the strings getting in your way.

you know i actually considered doing that but i was too lazy to go find a piece of wood :lol: i will probably try that when i get the chance, im in the middle of moving so all my shit is packed up :realmad:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like you need a setup then..