Gibson Authorized Boutique Builder Program

• Thread starter MaxOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sort of surprised/unsurprised how this has mostly flown under the radar. It certainly explains some things about more recent Gibson news.

Links:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gu...ounces-the-new-authorized-partnership-program
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gu...on-branded-boutique-guitars-are-available-now

Basically, Gibson wants to partner with boutique and high end builders to make Gibson copies. In exchange for licensing, Gibson will market and distribute (at no additional cost, using their giant dealer network and advertising budget) the authorized guitars.

I remember reading about this way back in June/July, but not much was known about the program. It's looking like the first guitars are done and heading to market.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Interesting. When I first saw the story I figured it was a desperate attempt by Gibson to squeeze some money out of builders, since they were starting to lose lawsuits.

But seeing they get Gibson distribution and marketing, it might actually be a beneficial partnership. I wonder what the monetary split is?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Is that authentic?
yes, gibson has changed factories before and is just a name. this is no different.

This seems mutually beneficial. Gibson gets the quality they’ve been lacking and independent builders get the branding they desire. Looks good to me.

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
yes, gibson has changed factories before and is just a name. this is no different.

This seems mutually beneficial. Gibson gets the quality they’ve been lacking and independent builders get the branding they desire. Looks good to me.

the way it reads is that it would just be licensing of the shapes, not the branding. This basically says that the whole play authentic thing was just bullshit and they only really care about being paid a fee to use the shape, with this dealer network thing tacked on to the end. I could be wrong

Splenetic

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty decent move tbh. As long as they don't fuck over the builders and treat them fairly.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
the way it reads is that it would just be licensing of the shapes, not the branding. This basically says that the whole play authentic thing was just bullshit and they only really care about being paid a fee to use the shape, with this dealer network thing tacked on to the end. I could be wrong

What does “play authentic” mean? Does it mean anything other than “play what Gibson is willing to put their name on”?

The producers of these guitars have changed multiple times. It is just a brand. This is no different than ever, imo. Maybe even better.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
What does “play authentic” mean? Does it mean anything other than “play what Gibson is willing to put their name on”?

The producers of these guitars have changed multiple times. It is just a brand. This is no different than ever, imo. Maybe even better.

I'd definitely take a 2017-2019 historic LP over anything from 1970-2016.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd definitely take a 2017-2019 historic LP over anything from 1970-2016.

Folks are way too harsh on the 70's and 80's stuff. Just because they don't fetch "quaint starter home on 1/3 of an acre" money doesn't mean they're not solid player guitars. Most that have survived have done so because they were good enough to be played and loved and kept rocking.

It should be pointed out that a lot of the "bad times" lore was put out there by collectors with an interest in maintaining value of pre-70's stuff.

Norlin was bad for the company, but the old timers in Kalamazoo didn't forget how to make guitars.

Splenetic

Reaction score
On top of that, 1970-2016 includes the 90's as well, and the few 90's ones I've played (not owned mind you), were fantastic. One of my old friends also had an LP Standard from, I think 2005, and it too was just impeccable.

decoy205

Reaction score
My 2005 R8 is a great guitar :cheers:

This is Gibson saying if ya can’t beat em join em.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On top of that, 1970-2016 includes the 90's as well, and the few 90's ones I've played (not owned mind you), were fantastic. One of my old friends also had an LP Standard from, I think 2005, and it too was just impeccable.

The early Henry J. years weren't bad. Tons of optimism and some genuinely great guitars and new ideas. It wasn't until the early/mid 00's that it started to become clear that Henry didn't want to run a guitar company anymore, but some weird lifestyle/fashion boutique thing.

Splenetic

Reaction score
Yeah that's the impression I had as well. They could still churn out the gems (like I said, my buddy's Standard from mid 00's really was something special), but that's around the time I remember it getting spottier with more and more people saying "Definitely try before buying".

decoy205

Reaction score
The early Henry J. years weren't bad. Tons of optimism and some genuinely great guitars and new ideas. It wasn't until the early/mid 00's that it started to become clear that Henry didn't want to run a guitar company anymore, but some weird lifestyle/fashion boutique thing.

I agree. There were some amazing guitars from each year. But when he started confusing what they do and making some of the core employees leave or pushing them out the product suffered.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Folks are way too harsh on the 70's and 80's stuff. Just because they don't fetch "quaint starter home on 1/3 of an acre" money doesn't mean they're not solid player guitars. Most that have survived have done so because they were good enough to be played and loved and kept rocking.

It should be pointed out that a lot of the "bad times" lore was put out there by collectors with an interest in maintaining value of pre-70's stuff.

Norlin was bad for the company, but the old timers in Kalamazoo didn't forget how to make guitars.

Not trashing the older stuff, I just think the most recent stuff is really top notch. Probably going to buy one in the next year.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Yeah that's the impression I had as well. They could still churn out the gems (like I said, my buddy's Standard from mid 00's really was something special), but that's around the time I remember it getting spottier with more and more people saying "Definitely try before buying".

When I got my Les Paul, I played everything from Epis to Standards (Dad was going to pay for it and wouldn't even let me look at the Customs), and I played one I had to have. 11 years later I haven't had a guitar that measures up to it. Other than wearing the new off a new guitar, it's pretty much the only guitar I've played since I got it.

176mu6K.jpg

3mxScdL.jpg

Splenetic

Reaction score
Beautiful axe! Love the worn out neck too actually, tells me it's been heavily used, which to me is surely a good sign of its overall quality where it counts.