Gibson SG-X refinish & upgrades

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Nope. Their website looks like absolute shit, though. Especially the welcome page. However, I do think they're legit...

And what I was talking about was the kind of paper where you print the design yourself. It's pretty easy, and if you need more decals you can just print loads on one sheet in one go and then just cut them out. (plus, you can me the outline version that I have never seen for sale anywhere, and only rarely seen on actual guitars)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

philentology

Reaction score
^Nope. Their website looks like absolute shit, though. Especially the welcome page. However, I do think they're legit...

And what I was talking about was the kind of paper where you print the design yourself. It's pretty easy, and if you need more decals you can just print loads on one sheet in one go and then just cut them out. (plus, you can me the outline version that I have never seen for sale anywhere, and only rarely seen on actual guitars)

Oh, dang, that is a good idea. Yes -- as a web developer I almost ran screaming from that site. I'll look into this a little more. I'm going home Thursday and trying to decide if I spend the money now to finish off the guitar in the coming week before I move or not.

philentology

Reaction score
Sooooo finally caved and got a Tone Pros black bridge. The small posts for the bridge fit correctly with a little cleaning of the holes.. The large tailpieces posts were too narrow though. Thankfully the stud threads were the same size as the original gibson studs so I was able to reuse the posts (do I have the term backwards? stud/post) and the bridge is now in place.

I am happy with the quality of the bridge itself but the finish leaves a little to be desired. Its not exactly even.. not sure if I just need to clean it better but it has something on the surface that leaves the finish more matte in some areas.

That being said.. all I have left to do is clean the neck with lemon oil (after I got rid of the residue from stripping the paint), string the guitar, and wire up the pup. Hoping to string the guitar and make sure the height/neck is set up properly and then do the wiring on Friday.

fW5Z95n.jpg

PS. anyone have a BKP wiring diagram for a single humbucker, 1 vol 1 tone and a coil split switch? I was hoping to find a diagram where I wouldn't have to think too hard but haven't been able to find one.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Wow I think I might use that paint stripper on my '99 ibanez RG7421 mij that I'm acquiring in a trade. Seems to have worked really well. What kind of stripper and cleaner was it if you don't mind me asking.

philentology

Reaction score
Wow I think I might use that paint stripper on my '99 ibanez RG7421 mij that I'm acquiring in a trade. Seems to have worked really well. What kind of stripper and cleaner was it if you don't mind me asking.

eCqCHi5.jpg

Citristrip 1-Qt. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel-QCG73801T at The Home Depot

EoxPP4l.jpg

Klean-Strip 32-oz. Paint Stripper After Wash-QKSW94341 at The Home Depot

I got both of them from Home Depot. Its messy.. but works surprisingly well.

If I could do it over.. id use a different stain/dye.. and maybe a different tung oil... though on the neck where I removed all the stain as well.. it feels great (if tung oiled finishes are your thing.)

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Awesome! If I feel up to it I think I'm going to paint it Kawasaki or sublime Green :).

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
I have to say that's one of the best looking SG's I've ever seen. Love the finish and all the black hard ware / pickup. Very nicely done!

I think a black Gibson Logo would look sick on the head stock. It won't be the most noticeable but it would fit so well with the overall aesthetic. And if you do for some reason replace the fretboard definitely go Ebony ugh that would be sooooo beautiful. (with no inlays if you ask me ;) )

philentology

Reaction score
I have to say that's one of the best looking SG's I've ever seen. Love the finish and all the black hard ware / pickup. Very nicely done!

I think a black Gibson Logo would look sick on the head stock. It won't be the most noticeable but it would fit so well with the overall aesthetic. And if you do for some reason replace the fretboard definitely go Ebony ugh that would be sooooo beautiful. (with no inlays if you ask me ;) )

Thank you! I am pretty happy with the outcome so far, given my level of skill and apartment life..

Yeah - I am going to put a black gibson decal on it and agreed on fretboard! Would love to do that... Once I get this guitar "finished" I am going to take the Tele apart to move the bridge back a quarter inch and looking at other neck options.. so SG will probably not move for a while.

philentology

Reaction score
Quit farting around/playing Destiny and wire this bitch up! I need a sound test of that BKP ya dingus!

Pfft. Don't mix my musical obsessions with the REAL WORLD billy. Ok... might actually get to wiring it tonight.. if I don't end up at Ikea. What has my life come to?

Latest posts