Glenn Fricker on modern metal singing

• Thread starter Kolaniak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yet another epic rant by this man. What do you think? A lot of what he says here resonates with me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure I see some of our own ss.o siblings in the comments section.

I can't watch his videos anymore, not that I don't agree with a lot of what he's saying, I literally just cannot stand his tone and his voice and how just pissed off the dude gets over the smallest things.
"anymore?" I don't recall him ever being easy to watch. In fact, I tried watching the OP's link and made it just over a minute, and a good portion of that was Fricker-free.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I can't watch his videos anymore, not that I don't agree with a lot of what he's saying, I literally just cannot stand his tone and his voice and how just pissed off the dude gets over the smallest things.

"anymore?" I don't recall him ever being easy to watch. In fact, I tried watching the OP's link and made it just over a minute, and a good portion of that was Fricker-free.
Glenn, or at least the way he presents himself, has always been annoying/too much IMO. Even just in text form from when he was a regular on the old Andy Sneap board I couldn’t really stand the guy. I don’t know how much of it is “schtick” but he’s always been the “pissed off, angry, no nonsense metal guy”. Oh and he hates Line 6. Don’t ever forget…except for maybe the Helix. I don’t care enough to watch his videos to find out.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are there transcripts of his videos? I'd much rather read than hear him screaming half the time.

Reaction score

I don't think I lasted that long... I can't stand his voice anymore...

Whatever the point he had was, I missed and I don't care. I have to say that, I'm also pretty picky on voices timbres, which is why PSIORB is instrumental for now...

Matt08642

Reaction score
Ah yes, the "IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE WHAT I'M SAYING YOU'RE FRAGILE!!" approach. How enlightening and not tiring/played out all all. But hey, this guy loves played out shit so lets keep going.

1. Toxic positivity

"Metal is supposed to be about strength of character and breaking new ground!!" says the guy whose idea of metal stopped around 1986 I guess.

"When did accepting mediocrity become the gold standard for metal" I literally have no fucking idea what he's talking about here, but he seems to be harping on about bands that don't like being criticized, then drops a Jar Jar Binks reference 22 years after the fact... I guess everyone should just do Big 4 trash riffs forever and have a "fuck you" attitude to all their music and personalities as if that doesn't get old and grating/immature. He then says the whole point of the channel is to "Help and inform" then talks about "Participation medals" like a 70 year old, then rants about the "fun police" ??? Not sure what this has to do with metal vocals but continue, Glenn.

2. Where are the great new vocalists?

Everywhere? There's a shitload of really good vocalists? But of course he says "THE GREAT NEW METAL VOCALISTS ARE??" with cricket noises. OK Glenn, lets pretend that people with talent and skill stopped existing after 2000. Off the top of my head:

Greg Puciato
Mastodon guys
Gojira guys
Spencer Sotelo
Andy Cizek
Arguably people like Corey Taylor, Devin Townsend, and others who got their start in the mid to late 90s if you want to count them

A few of these probably don't fit his classification of good vocals or whatever, but he's 100% ignoring how people with Bruce Dickinson voices don't always gravitate to metal and often have fruitful pop careers. Almost as if the whole metal scene turns away people who want to be widely successful and popular. Hm, wonder why.

Also criticizes stage presence, so I don't know if he's shitting on live or recorded music, or what this has to do with vocal prowess. And for what it's worth when I saw periphery Spencer was quite animated

3. Lack of Dynamics

Without any regard for genre or style or musical context, he harps on "flat recitation without emotion or melodic development" ruining songs, saying how melody is a cornerstone "regardless of genre", then says "Metal is supposed to be melodic and inspiring" Again, I'm not sure Glenn is aware metal has evolved since the 80s. Personally I feel Iron Maiden vocals would ruin 90% of modern metal because of CONTEXT.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND I'm done with this video. Made it about 8 minutes. What an out of touch, uninspired, unmelodic, participation award of a rant.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I didn't check the video but why are we using MGK in the thumbnail when he isn't even remotely trying to be metal? :lol:

...Don't answer because I know exactly why. :lol:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I don’t care how much the clickbait title of his videos may actually resonate with me, there’s no fucking way I’m ever watching another video from that guy. Maybe he’s gotten better at remembering to do his yelling thing but I saw enough a couple years back where he was clearly remembering to do it mid-sentence. I’d rather have GIlbert Gottfried’s ghost whisper sweet nothings in my ear.

Outside of YouTube the dude’s biggest claim to fame was re-mixing a song on Geoff Tate’s abomination of a “Queensryche” album that had to be remixed due to the response from the fans because the first mix was so bad. And he did such a great job they never even paid him for it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
2. Where are the great new vocalists?

Everywhere? There's a shitload of really good vocalists? But of course he says "THE GREAT NEW METAL VOCALISTS ARE??" with cricket noises. OK Glenn, lets pretend that people with talent and skill stopped existing after 2000. Off the top of my head:
I'm kicking myself for, against my better judgement, clicking this link. :lol:

But yes, let's talk about the fact that "metal" is a very, very narrowly defined subgenre, that all metal singers sound exactly alike and are doing exactly the same things, and if you've heard one bad metal singer you're now an authority on the subject because they all sound exactly like that. :lol:

Saves time, really. :yesway:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of YouTube the dude’s biggest claim to fame was re-mixing a song on Geoff Tate’s abomination of a “Queensryche” album that had to be remixed due to the response from the fans because the first mix was so bad. And he did such a great job they never even paid him for it.
Don't forget the first two albums from that independently managed black metal band that developed a cult following after their third album (which was self-produced).