Glenn Fricker on modern metal singing

• Thread starter Kolaniak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Eh. He's an old fart. Like every other old fart, he's right about some things, and wrong about others.
Tell me something new...

EDIT: he does a good job with stuff like tutorials for people new to recording. I know I have benefitted from those.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Boomer metal guy who hates everything that isn't boomer metal gonna boomer metal. Music changes. Music evolved. Either keep up or you end up like this guy clinging to shit that may have been good for the time but the skill level in metal has progressed far past this guy's ability to keep up. So he just shits on everything that makes him feel bad about his level of talent.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
I always liked Beato’s What Makes This Song Great series of videos. Haven’t seen any of his others, though.

That's fair. When Beato discusses music theory, he is a wealth of information. It is all the other baggage that he drags into his channel that make him an utter buzzkill - especially when he gets on his high horse about copyright.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear you on that stuff and if he's going off on a tangent I know I tune out.

I'd still take him, Warren Huart, Andrew Scheps etc over Glenn. It's amazing Glenn is relevant enough that anyone about him :lol:

neurosis

Reaction score
I have to admit I don't regularly watch this guy but I also don't turn him off when his videos come on autoplay. Hell, I've even clicked on some of his thumbs when I've seen them lurking on the margin of other videos.

He reminds me of the Angry Video Game Nerd. To me it's all a character. It gets old but I would say his brand is consistent and is slowing him to make a living.

Do you take the other you tubers you follow super serious? Do you buy their merchandise, pay for subscriptions, etc? I am curious.

Reaction score
Boomer metal guy who hates everything that isn't boomer metal gonna boomer metal. Music changes. Music evolved. Either keep up or you end up like this guy clinging to shit that may have been good for the time but the skill level in metal has progressed far past this guy's ability to keep up. So he just shits on everything that makes him feel bad about his level of talent.
Eeehhh...I wouldn't say skill level. Music has changed, yes..but I'd argue that originality, songwriting, etc has certainly not progressed and lots of todays musicians could learn a thing or two from the old heads./
Besides that, yeah pretty much. Him wanting all singers to go back to sounding like Rob Halford clones makes me roll my eyes.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Do you take the other you tubers you follow super serious? Do you buy their merchandise, pay for subscriptions, etc? I am curious.
Fuck no. TF? I’m not paying for anything less than lessons/music from actual artists.

Also the OP was so barebones I’d almost think it was posted by the YouTuber in question themselves, lol

Latest posts