Glenn Fricker on modern metal singing

• Thread starter Kolaniak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Oh, in regards to Beato/video games, I know several people who started playing guitar because of Guitar Hero and/or started appreciating music a lot more as a result of being introduced to bands within those games.

I can’t play it for shit, but that’s not a bad thing in my book!

mpexus

Reaction score
I think people are missing what Beato wanted to transmit... yes kids today have much much muuuuucccccchhhhhh more forms of entertainment than they had in the 60's-70's-80's etc. Its the same with Comic Books... It's a dying art from since there are not enough new readers like it used to be. Even I used to read much more before the internet show up and if it wasnt for the Movies, Comics would be dwelling like they were before MCU exploded. The Public will everntually get fed up of SH movies and its starting to show... when that happens Comics will be once again relegated to an obscure place. Sure they got a couple more readers but that's about it.

We had or own escapes in the form or reading listening or playing Music because there was basically nothing else we could do alone. When was the last time any of you seated or lay down on the bed and put a Album to play from start to finish, not doing anything else except listening to it?

For the amount of those that started playing an instrument's because game A or B, there are thousands that didn't because of Games/Social Media etc and the time fulfilling satisfaction they had.
About Glenn... its like everything... its get boring after a while, not only him but any Youtuber because its the same after some year or two. The reviews are not reviews... care to tell me a YT that reviews a piece of gear frequently and say it sucks? Exactly

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to watch a lot of stuff on that Gear Gods channel but a couple months back I left YouTube playing while I went into my studio and came out to him critiquing his follower’s songs; the guy was barely offering anything outside of being insulting. Maybe there’s an inside joke there with his followers like “Haha I’m going to shit all over you and you guys will find it funny” that I missed, but it was a major turn off.

I saw Glenn doing the same thing before, except I intentionally watched it because I was curious of what his reviews consisted of. Occasionally a good pointer came out, but it was a lot of just shit talking the contributors.

I dunno, I’m one of those millennials who was born about 3 years too late because I absolutely align more with Gen-X than the millennial crowd, so my observations on modern shit is sometimes just a “WTF?”

How did the guy from the Gear Gods channel become an authority in songwriting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
How did the guy from the Gear Gods channel become an authority in songwriting?
That's my question. I heard his music and frankly he needs to take his own course. I remember watching him tear people's stuff apart, barely listening, and just being an ass for entertainment all while trying to push people to buy his course. I felt sorry for any kid trying to put their music out there to someone they look up to only to be treated that way.

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's my question. I heard his music and frankly he needs to take his own course. I remember watching him tear people's stuff apart, barely listening, and just being an ass for entertainment all while trying to push people to buy his course. I felt sorry for any kid trying to put their music out there to someone they look up to only to be treated that way.

I didn't find any truly original music on his channel. It is basically songs in the style of a famous band (DT, Ghost, to name a few), but nothing truly his.
If I were to purchase a songwriting course I would want it to be authored by Nile Rodgers, Max Martin or even someone like David Guetta.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I dunno, I’m one of those millennials who was born about 3 years too late because I absolutely align more with Gen-X than the millennial crowd, so my observations on modern shit is sometimes just a “WTF?”

Man, aint that the fucking truth.

My parents are weirdly old for someone my age, so they tend to be the same age as people's grandparents. And so I grew up surrounded by the wrong era of stuff, and ended up having more in common with people 10 years older than me.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
i looked up the records that Glenn's produced and while i've heard a few of them and they sound pretty good! it's like a fraction of the albums I would want to see from a producer pulling such a spicy take and not just dismiss as it being like "well i do it this way"

Reaction score
I didn't find any truly original music on his channel. It is basically songs in the style of a famous band (DT, Ghost, to name a few), but nothing truly his.
If I were to purchase a songwriting course I would want it to be authored by Nile Rodgers, Max Martin or even someone like David Guetta.
He is, or was, in a band and I looked it up. I don't even remember it, I just remember it boring me and being nothing special. When you have channels like Produce Like A Pro that gets world renowned producers and studio people who have worked on legendary albums, and NONE of them are assholes but they are super passionate and helpful. It doesn't make any sense to have some nobody with a youtube channel destroying other people's work for comedic value while trying to push a course that he hasn't shown to be qualified to even teach.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd never go to Gear Gods for gear reviews or songwriting advice because, tbh, both of the channels offerings are generic. :lol:
Also, some courses through Nile Rogers would be fucking great. The dude has one guitar that wrote about $4 billion's worth of music revenue. :lol:

Kolaniak

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd never go to Gear Gods for gear reviews or songwriting advice because, tbh, both of the channels offerings are generic. :lol:
Also, some courses through Nile Rogers would be fucking great. The dude has one guitar that wrote about $4 billion's worth of music revenue. :lol:

Man, I was watching an interview with him about his Hitmaker. It is crazy how one guitar has been involved in that many hits.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Oh, in regards to Beato/video games, I know several people who started playing guitar because of Guitar Hero and/or started appreciating music a lot more as a result of being introduced to bands within those games.

I can’t play it for shit, but that’s not a bad thing in my book!

90% of the reason guitar videos became popular on YouTube is because of Guitar Hero. It did more for guitar the last 2 decades than any guitarist. Guitar videos would have remained a niche thing for years and who knows if making music In your bedroom would have been accepted as much as it is now. Not to me mention it’s influence as an entrance to guitar centric music like you said.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guitar Hero was probably pretty damn good for the "real guitar" and yeah some people get into music from video game soundtracks.

But on the whole, looking at how hugely popular video games are, I think they result in people playing less music overall.

Personally I do music stuff waaay more now that I'm not busy playing video games all day. When I had games that I was really into, there was no way I would play music instead of games. Despite loving music, it couldn't compete.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Guitar Hero was probably pretty damn good for the "real guitar" and yeah some people get into music from video game soundtracks.

But on the whole, looking at how hugely popular video games are, I think they result in people playing less music overall.

Personally I do music stuff waaay more now that I'm not busy playing video games all day. When I had games that I was really into, there was no way I would play music instead of games. Despite loving music, it couldn't compete.

Funny, this weekend I was using video games to take breaks in the studio. When I’d get stumped on the next section of a song or my hands were ready to give out I‘d sit down and play God Of War for a couple hours until the next part presented itself in my head or my left hand settled down a bit.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
He is, or was, in a band and I looked it up. I don't even remember it, I just remember it boring me and being nothing special. When you have channels like Produce Like A Pro that gets world renowned producers and studio people who have worked on legendary albums, and NONE of them are assholes but they are super passionate and helpful. It doesn't make any sense to have some nobody with a youtube channel destroying other people's work for comedic value while trying to push a course that he hasn't shown to be qualified to even teach.

So much this. You can actually gain usable, proven information in Warren’s videos and not have to deal with some asshat faking outrage and insulting people for clicks.