Gloryhammer

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Anyone else into them? They just released their 3rd album, Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex, and I think it's pretty awesome.

If someone doesn't know, Gloryhammer is a symphonic power metal band started by Chris Bowes (vocals+keys in Alestorm). He still composes the music and writes the lyrics (along with the other guys in the band) but doesn't seem to be in their live lineup much these days.
Their first album had a sort of medieval'ish theme, the second one went into space and now on this third album the story takes place in an alternate dimension :lol: It's ultra cheesy and basically parodies every power metal band, but somehow manages to be awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood gearwhore
Reaction score
They're fun in a horrendously cheesy/cringy manner, just like Manowar or Stratovarius.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
The first couple Rhapsody albums are the peak of this style, I love myself some power metal, but there's not too many bands that have done anything remotely interesting since like the late 1990s. Most are either joke bands like this or full pop bands like Beast in Black.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I love Gloryhammer, they have really solid songwriting and melodies and all that jazz even when they're turning the cheese up to 11. The new album feels a bit more flat in terms of the production and some less inspired songwriting compared to the previous two albums, but it's still a good album.

Also, I love how power metal is such a ridiculous genre that bands like Gloryhammer and Brothers Of Metal makes better music than a large majority of power metal bands, despite being "joke" bands. With a genre like power metal, the more cheesy is it, the better.

r33per

Reaction score
Tales from the Kingdom of Fife is awesome. I pretty much have it blaring through the car speakers when I'm on the road to/from Dundee.

It makes me smile every time. It's cheesy nonsense and it is awesome.

Hail! To Crail!

Metropolis

Reaction score
I like cheesy power, folk, epic whatever metal with gimmicky themes and overall image. It can be done well without being a total joke.

Descent

Reaction score
Our drummer is floored with them, the rest of the band wonders what it is all about. We had the same reaction to Alestorm :)

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Fun band, hoping to see them later this year.Seeing as the most popular show on TV was about dragons and ice wizards I'm not even sure what's cheesy anymore. Much like Steel Panther I love how a joke band is better than the majority of bands in the genre.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Fun band, hoping to see them later this year.Seeing as the most popular show on TV was about dragons and ice wizards I'm not even sure what's cheesy anymore. Much like Steel Panther I love how a joke band is better than the majority of bands in the genre.

Both bands are actually pointless. 80s glam is already funny. Winger - Seventeen is a real song, parodying something that's already inherently funny is pointless. Steel Panther is basically a third rate glam band with lyrics that are funny to people who still think Andrew Dice Clay is edgy.

This is a real Rhapsody promo picture.

k544w6cknafrfac.jpg

How can you parody this? You can't.

Those early Rhapsody albums are better in every way than what Gloryhammer does.

#DEFENDPOWERMETAL

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Joke band or not, I genuinely enjoy their music. Yes, there's nothing new about it, it's just high quality power metal with super silly lyrics :lol:
Oh yeah and I'll be seeing them live in roughly a month :)

Alex79

Reaction score
A power metal thread without the mention of HAMMERFALL???? Blasphemy!

But yeah, Gloryhammer is fun. I'm not sure I will buy this album though, more of the same probably...

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
But yeah, Gloryhammer is fun. I'm not sure I will buy this album though, more of the same probably...

I'd say it's a bit heavier and more consistent than the previous ones, but yeah, more of the same really.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I mean either a band merges powermetal with another genre making it “not” true powermetal, or they have fun pumping out ridiculous music to ridiculous stage presence.

It’s no different than the modern bands still putting out albums that sounds like old school death metal/ Scream Bloody Gore/etc.

People like new music in their favorite genre, and when that genre falls out of fashion it’s exciting to get new high-quality music every once in a while.

FFS let people like what they like.

As far as whether it’s as good as prior albums I wouldn’t know. This is the first I’m hearing about them.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
full pop bands like Beast in Black.

Beast in Black are pretty good when they're actually playing power metal, but unfortunately that means maybe 1/10 songs :( The rest are basically 90's disco songs with guitars or like Bon Jovi with heavier distortion... But check out their s/t song from the first album or Repentless from the second album, I actually enjoy those. Their vocalist is awesome in particular.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
yeah the singer kills, I saw them open for Rhapsody, it was fun for about 3 songs, but he's definitely incredible.

Check out his old band if you haven't.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Saw them last night, hadn't heard of them before, but damn they were fun as hell. Been listening to them this morning.

The singer reminds me of Ed Helms, especially when he goes for the big note :lol: