Goals/Progress Thread

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Been in the gym like 5 times this month. Every time I got the chance. I need a few days to recover each time, not because I’m going ham or anything but because I’m that out of shape. But still. Smoked every month since back in like 2012. I’ll take it.

gnoll

Reaction score
I've set some goals for this year, which is a first for me, but I think it could help keep my motivation and focus up, and make things a bit more fun in general. I want to increase my bench by 15 kg (should be doable since I'm kind of new to bench), my deadlift by 20 kg (this will be hard, but any progress I make here I'll be happy about), and my weighted pull-up 1rm by 5 kg (could be pretty hard but hopefully doable). And... writing this I feel like I probably shouldn't neglect my legs as much as I do right now so I'm just gonna say right now that I want to be able to squat 5 reps with 100 kg! That'll put me to work...

Right now though my main goal or focus is to do a spring season cut so that I'll hopefully be in really good shape by March/April or so. I look forward to seeing how that's gonna turn out since I've never really done a cut before. Hopefully I won't just look skinny.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I got fucking fat over the last year due to my own laziness. I'm going running at least a couple days a week now so that should help a bit, but I really have to get back into the gym and start doing oly lifts. I was so damn strong doing oly lifts in conjunction with my old lifting routine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I'm currently doing something called GrenadeFit8. Basically it's an 8 week fat loss program with an online coach, nutrition and training plan provided. 2 weeks in and I've lost 8ibs and slimmed down quite noticeably. 6 more weeks to go!

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
My gym has an entrance scan card thing to keep track of workouts. #1,500 today. Was a really good workout, too.

gnoll

Reaction score
Update to my goals/progress!!

First, a revision:
I formed a squat goal. I'm scrapping that. I'm not doing squats. I'm not good at squats, I don't like doing squats, and if I don't do them I can focus more on my deadlifting, which I enjoy more, even though I'm pretty shit at that too. My leg training will be deadlifts supplemented by Bulgarian split squats, leg extensions and leg curls. I feel like that is well enough. I don't even want huge legs anyway. Leg training is overrated.

Deadlifts update:
I'm pretty bad at this, I think it's because I'm kind of a feather-weight guy with very short arms. I'm scared of going heavy because of form breakdown, but I try to do a bit of deadlifting every time I'm at the gym. Progress is questionable.

Bench press update:
Going pretty well. Today I benched my own bodyweight 10 times, which is a personal record for me. I feel like I'm doing progress here definately.

Pull-up update:
I'm smashing it. This is my best lift by far. I was made to do stuff like this, not squatting/deadlifting. I'm hitting some kind of personal record most times I'm at the gym. Today I did 9 reps with 25 kg on the weight belt. I looked through my training journal and a year ago my working sets were 4 reps with 20 kg extra.

Oh, and my cut is going... okay I think. I've lost maybe 1 kg? Maybe 1.5? Not a lot but honestly I'm not really in any rush and it's probably better to take it slower rather than faster. I can see a little bit more muscle definition in the mirror. Adonis belt coming in, serratus more pronounced. Abs still not very visible.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here. Since my last update, I’ve “downgraded” from using wraps and a heavy duty belt, down to sleeves and a velcro Rogue weightlifting belt. I’ve started incorporating Olympic lifts into my routine (snatch, clean and jerk), and my current numbers are

Squat: 475
Bench: 290
Deadlift: 485
Strict press: 195x2
Snatch: 195
Clean and Jerk: 235
Clean: 255

I’ve been bulking up the past couple of months and I’m sitting around 188 lbs. Trying to lean out a bit this month, as I’ve got a beach vacation planned with the family at the end of May, and I want to show my brothers up. :lol:

mongey

Reaction score
been sticking to my 3 times a week in the gym since August .still really enjoying . life gets in the way of doing more but still working hard when I'm in there

. set a goal at start of the year goal to be benching 90kg by my birthday , which is in 6 days .And I loaded it up yesterday and got 4 reps in which I'm happy with

plus I was the only person in the gym at 430am when I did it so had to be reserved . def had another couple in me if I had a spot

now my goal is 100kg by 22nd august . which is 12 months since I got my ass back in there

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Been working on pushing my core lifts up, so far I have:

Squat - 135kg
Bench - 100kg
Deadlift - 150kg
Overhead Press - 60kg

My OHP is lagging a little so I'm working on trying to break through that plateau. Everything else seems to be flying up at the moment. My goal is to add another 20-25kg on each of my core lifts by August.

mongey

Reaction score
my 1 year anniversary of getting back in the gym is in just under 4 weeks , 22 Aug

had a goal for a long time to be able to do an unassisted 100kg bench on that day . up to 97.5 which I can do unspotted for 2 reps .I reckon I could do the 100 now but I go super early int he morning and never have a spot as I'm mostly there alone . so need to toe the line safely

so should be able to go a little past my goal with 3 weeks left

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I've got my first Amateur Powerlifting Competition in 2 weeks and I'm starting to get nervous. Any advice from anyone here who competes?

mongey

Reaction score
had to delay it a 4 weeks after I had a minor shoulder strain. but punched out my PB 2 single rep sets of 100kg on bench un spotted the other day . felt good to hit it after 12 months

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Over the course of the last four years, through cardio, better dieting, and luck I suppose, I have managed to lose roughly 85 lbs. from my all-time worst weight of 440 lbs. I still have a lot of work to do, but I am feeling better and better every day I keep with this to rise to the challenge of becoming healthy. :)

00000afterafter.jpg

gnoll

Reaction score
I forgot about my goals shortly after I formed them. Whatever. Currently my only goals are a 200% bodyweight chin up and having an aesthetic looking physique.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread to share, and to hopefully see some more progress from you gents. I was heavily brainwashed into thinking that powerlifting was the ultimate sport, and bodybuilding was "all show, no go". Since switching to bodybuilding, I've not only remained as strong in my 1 rep maxes, but I'm also way leaner, and my work capacity has greatly increased.
yDgenMC.jpg

ZY3TiL2.jpg

I'm going to keep riding this out and see where I end up. I'd like to get comfortable enough to compete on stage within the next couple of years. At the weight I am now (180ish), I feel like I could start a hardcore diet and get into natural physique, though the endgame is to get to classic bodybuilding (half-natty, post-military service).

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Nice work man, that's some impressive results there!

I'd love to get a better physique at some point but its way down on my list of priorities. Currently working towards hitting a decent equipped multiply lifting total next year before switching back to Raw and taking on the guy that beat me at Euros this year. I could try and bulk/cut between 80-90kg but I'm worried on the impact that'll have on my strength.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Nice work man, that's some impressive results there!

I'd love to get a better physique at some point but its way down on my list of priorities. Currently working towards hitting a decent equipped multiply lifting total next year before switching back to Raw and taking on the guy that beat me at Euros this year. I could try and bulk/cut between 80-90kg but I'm worried on the impact that'll have on my strength.
You could always try to recomp and maintain your current weight while dropping BF%. I mean, logically, more muscle mass at the same weight = more potential for strength. BUT, it sounds like you have a good plan. I’ve never fucked with multi, or even single-ply, but I have a handful of buddies who made the switch from raw and really enjoy it. In fact, one of them had the top multi-ply total in the US for the 132 class. May still have it, actually. Luke Starnes is his name.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
What are you guys doing for protein intake while lifting or doing strength training ? 1g/lb body weight? Less?

Latest posts