Good metal amp for bedroom practice

• Thread starter kayhen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
I vote POD with headphones... but if you want an actual amp, Roland Cube/Micro Cube hands down.

btw. I personally think Line 6 spider tones sound like ass, but thats just me.

Reaction score
I have a Marshall MG10KK. Personally, I think it's a great practice/bedroom amp for under $100.

Here's a song I recorded with it, guitar straight to amp, and then microphone to speaker. Gives you a good idea of what the Overdrive channel sounds like, pretty fucking metal if you ask me.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Try them all out, many of them you'll be able to find at Best Buy or something. I originally went there expecting to get a Cube 40XL but ended up trying the Peavy Vyper 15 and loved it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

floyo123

Sir.Shredalot
Reaction score
Try out a Pod with Headphones or any Plugin+Audio Interface on Computer, it´s very versatile!

Metamurphic

Dimarzio CRUNK-Lab
Contributor
Reaction score
I would Vote for Pod or toneport, Versitle in every way and since your a beginner you've got access to heaps of great tones to download. On the hand it's not as convenient to take to other places. Depends on how you think you'll practice.

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want out of it and how much you are willing to spend but I'd say you already have the best answers provided for you. Line 6 pocket pod or spider and Roland micro cubes get my vote and are all fantastic for practice, the micro cube is probably the most "plug and play" of these products, great practice tone and really portable. I used the smallest model of the cube for years and was able to fit it in my back pack when traveling on planes or even just riding a bike to my friends house as it can be powered by (i think 6) aa batteries as well as the power adaptor included with it. thats my 2 cents. hope it helps!

StratoJazz

Reaction score
Probably any low wattage modeling amp by Line 6, Roland, or Peavy is good.

If you want to go tube, I recommend Superchamp XD, however, you'll need a pedal for your distortion.

Speaking from personal experience. Don't really know much about Blackstar, but check them out before you buy.

pstol

Reaction score
I'd recommend getting a pod x3 live or pod HD series and just running through some monitors. It will provide you with a plethora of sounds and options at reasonable prices :)

Mexi

Reaction score
I'm using an old Peavey Envoy 110 (40 watt I think) for the past 7-8 years and while its probably bigger than "just a bedroom amp" it works quite well in a small band (basement/garage style setup) quite nicely.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
ive gotten pretty brutal tones from my line 6 haha and the spider 4, 15 WATT seams to sound way better than all the other spider 4's. and if this is your choice, best tone is to put the master volume all the way up and the channel volume all the way down (then lower the volume with the master and raise it with the channel). dont know why but its less muddy when you do that

This, I bought one, and it sounds amazing, far better than any in the series so far. It is the first one that has ever made me consider the switch to solid state.

odie

Reaction score
I would get a Vypyr or Roland cube. I have a 30 watt Vypyr and love it. The loop is great for practicing leads over.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
for me , if it doesnt have a 12 inch speaker it doesnt push the low end like i like. my decision on bedroom amp is based alot on speaker size. i dont care about onboard effects cuz i use zoom,digi,or pod for that.

a 6" 8" or 10" just doesnt push the low end like i like at low or high volumes.

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Another vote for the Roland Cube...any size. Those things are unbelievable.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Roland Cube, or Peavey VYPYR if you can stand it, I couldn't tolerate the gain being so fake sounding.

sunbasket

Reaction score
I'm actually looking to ditch a 50W tube combo I have and get a cube, or maybe... a Fender Frontman?

A good buddy of mine has a, hm, Peavey Transtube (?) and that one is pretty sweet. Don't know the model number. You get Clean as well as Vintage / Modern distortion modes.

sunbasket

Reaction score
Seems like we have cubes monopolizing the market here... the 15W model? 5W street?

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of people saying Roland Cube and I'm going to add to that pile. I've got a Cube 20X and when my favourite store gets them in I will be buying a 40XL. I have a friend with a 30X as well and he says it's great too.

If they don't have Cubes near you I'D try out the Peavey Vypyrs as well, the ones I have tried (briefly) out shine the Line 6 Spiders I've heard.

Nice to see people mentioning Blackstar small wattage tube amps, the ones I've tried did indeed sound very cool, but for metal? :/ imho they are not going to have enough gain or the versatility of the Cube.