Good metal amp for bedroom practice

• Thread starter kayhen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sunbasket

Reaction score
Ahh!!

I was just browsing eBay and came across a really great little find here and had to throw it in the thread. Look up the VHT Special 6. They look to be designed very well, and sound pretty good from clips (but who knows about clips). I'm sure it would stomp a Cube!

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Lots of people saying Roland Cube and I'm going to add to that pile. I've got a Cube 20X and when my favourite store gets them in I will be buying a 40XL. I have a friend with a 30X as well and he says it's great too.

If they don't have Cubes near you I'D try out the Peavey Vypyrs as well, the ones I have tried (briefly) out shine the Line 6 Spiders I've heard.

Nice to see people mentioning Blackstar small wattage tube amps, the ones I've tried did indeed sound very cool, but for metal? :/ imho they are not going to have enough gain or the versatility of the Cube.

The Blackstars certainly don' havet the versatility, but they have a completely different character than anything in the Cube as far as the heavy goes. The HT5 is pretty much unmatched in the rest of the HT line for heavy tones. The EQ gives massive tonal control versus any other amp I've ever tried (things you would need a separate EQ for on other amps).

Like I've said many times previously, I adore the HT5, awesome core tone, very organic, smooth and heavy as hell if you EQ it right.

That being said, there are few amps that have the gain of say, the Extreme model in the Cube XLs. For bedroom practice with the possibility of gigging, 40 or 80XL all the way.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Ahh!!

I was just browsing eBay and came across a really great little find here and had to throw it in the thread. Look up the VHT Special 6. They look to be designed very well, and sound pretty good from clips (but who knows about clips). I'm sure it would stomp a Cube!
I'm not so sure the Special 6 would stomp a Cube XL. They Special 6 Ultra has the Ultra channel addition (plus a Deep knob)but it still doesn't sound very heavy to me. It has more of a tradition Marshally kind of thick midrange crunch tone in everything I've heard from it. Certainly not as heavy as the Extreme model, or even the Blackstar HT5.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

heminder

Reaction score
i would recommend the micro cube since it's such an awesome toy for being powered by batteries, but for metal that tiny speaker really doesn't handle low end very well. i've changed mine out for a slightly better speaker too but it still farts out.

the bigger regular cubes should be AOK.

sunbasket

Reaction score
haha, VETOED. I'd imagine the Cube is invaluable if you ever wanted to go out and busk with your grim and frostbitten 1-man Immortal tribute band too :fawk:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I'd say get a nice amp sim, zoom 9.2tt or pod. You just can't get d saturation you want at low volumes, if you really want a small amp, cube's are top budget combo's.

I used a POD 2.0 through a really crappy crate SS and was pleasantly surprised at how passable the tones were. You should be able to pick up both from CL for less than one bill too, so great value.

I remember using a Cube 30 at some point as well and it sounded just as good for low volume practice.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ahh!!

Also keep in mind that the VHT of that amp has nothing to do with the VHT of the Pittbull, Sig X, etc. The name was sold as a result of a weird lawsuit or something, so just be aware. The new VHTs are not known for doing metal.

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
i have a question also regarding this small amp practice
do it handle the 7 sting from a 7 string guitar? Im tuning mine to A and it really doesnt do it at all. mude as fuck. but the 15 watts amp is as crappy as hell.
so... that roland cube 20 o 15 will handle the 7 strin for bedroom and home practice or ?

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
for me , if it doesnt have a 12 inch speaker it doesnt push the low end like i like. my decision on bedroom amp is based alot on speaker size. i dont care about onboard effects cuz i use zoom,digi,or pod for that.

a 6" 8" or 10" just doesnt push the low end like i like at low or high volumes.
so.. what does you recommend then? im curious.

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
i have a question also regarding this small amp practice
do it handle the 7 sting from a 7 string guitar? Im tuning mine to A and it really doesnt do it at all. mude as fuck. but the 15 watts amp is as crappy as hell.
so... that roland cube 20 o 15 will handle the 7 strin for bedroom and home practice or ?

Do small amps able handle the 7th string from a 7 string guitar?

I'm using a Randall RX25RM (around 10" for the size) and my guitar has stock pickups so I won't expect my guitar to sound good but the "electric guitar type of sound" from the 7th string is there. When talking about muddy sounds from the 7th string, it depends on the pickups of your guitar IMO. I tried an old/used Ibanez RG7420 (also with stock pickups) through a Roland Cube (dunno what model :scratch:) and it sounds WAYYYY better, every string, compare to my current 7 string guitar. So, to answer your "that roland cube 20 or 15 will handle them?" I'd say YES!!

Btw, my sister have a Roland Micro Cube, borrow the amp from her (I want to try it because I see a lot of people here recommend the Micro Cube), plugged my 7 stringer into it and I'm very impressed how good it sounds although it's really small in size!

It's rectifier modelling effect sounds really heavy, punchy, djenty :)lol: I know, but I really djent a lot with the Micro Cube :lol:) but not muddy and not too bassy (I don't like distortion tones that have too much bass). The cleans from the Cube is amazing too~~ I can play like Blues, Jazz and Pop stuffs there! Bare in mind that the pickups in my guitar really sucks and still have good sounds through that Cube... I'm now using it as my practice amp in my room. :shred:

Another vote for Micro Cube............here! :agreed:

There are also a lot of recommendation for Line6 PODs here~~ I'll have to try those things sooner or later... :cool:

Djdnxgdj3983jrjd8udb3bcns

Reaction score
I'm going to say try a Vox VT series combo. They have attenuators built in, so you can crank the tube in it for sweet cleans and nice overdrives by leaving channel and master volume right up, and keep it at bedroom volume even on the 100w version. It doesn't have stacks of gain, so a good overdrive pedal also may be necessary. I find it wholly adequate though and the Vox Reactor circuit really adds natural tube-y warmth to the sound at any volume. Also, it means if you choose to run an overdrive in front, it doesn't give that AWFUL overdrive into digital amp sound. The effects are quite good also, not professional quality but easily adequate enough for practice. The tape echo is a personal favourite of mine.

Nesty

Reaction score
I don't know why people are suggesting spiders mg's and toneblasters.

Why buy those when you can settle for the best possible choice in that price range?

I vote for the Peavey Vypr or the Roland Cube. Both great amps for bedroom practice.

You'll thank me later..

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Or the Roland Cube, it really is quite good. However, if you want a small tube head, that is great for metal, the Dark Terror is the way to go. And it has a switch to go from 15 to 7 watts.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Orange Crush, you'll thank me later. Best practice amp I have ever played.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
im using an older peavey bandit 112.

i use the clean channel and the effects line for either multi pedals or a podxt.

quiet enough to play in a bedroom but will get loud enough to play over drums for band practice. can play small shows and sounds great micd ;)

mine is the older (mid 90s) model with the peavey scorpion 12' got it off craigslist for $75.00
I have the same one. Great, durable, reliable amp.